New to CPAP, Still Snoring

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
the_happy_mudlark

New to CPAP, Still Snoring

Post by the_happy_mudlark » Sat Oct 28, 2023 9:45 pm

Hi, I've been using CPAP for 6 weeks following a sleep study (AHI = 34) and have adjusted to the mask/therapy well. I didn't think I had a problem before, although I've always snored loudly, and haven't really noticed any change to the way I feel during the day. Still a bit tired but not to the point of needing to nap, and a high level of muscle fatigue after exercise. I just thought this was part of getting old :) I'm a 45yo female, no sign of menopause, not on any medication and no other physical/mental health issues apart from low iron (had an infusion 3 weeks ago so this should now be under control). Partner commented last night that I'm still snoring, although nowhere near as loudly as I used to, so I'm keen to get some advice. I'm new here, so hopefully have understood the data that I'm supposed to post. Please let me know if anything else would help. Thanks so much!
Attachments
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (111.16 KiB) Viewed 2562 times

Miss Emerita

Re: New to CPAP, Still Snoring

Post by Miss Emerita » Sun Oct 29, 2023 11:53 am

Most of your snores seem to come when your pressure is at your minimum of 6. Try raising the minimum to 7 and see what happens. You should find that pretty comfortable, since your median is a little over 7.
Oscar software is available at https://www.sleepfiles.com/OSCAR/

the_happy_mudlark

Post by the_happy_mudlark » Mon Oct 30, 2023 7:23 pm

Thanks for the replies. I increased the minimum pressure to 7 and snores have reduced slightly, but are still there. Should I bump up the min pressure (and continue increasing) until snores have completely disappeared from the chart?

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Mon Oct 30, 2023 7:30 pm

You know if I was sleeping good and feeling good and we could say the same for the spouse then I don't know that I would worry much about that tiny bit of snoring.

Give this new setting a few days for the body to adjust and it might even improve all on its own....not that it was very bad to start with.

We have a saying here....one night does not a trend make.

Unless results are horrible I don't usually make suggestions based on one night or even two. I like at least a weeks worth of data...either data from the machine or how a person is feeling and sleeping...or both.

If you decide to try a little more pressure I don't think it will take much clean things up a little more. Maybe something around a half a cm.

All this assuming you aren't having any nasal congestion with the snores being more from the nose...and if that were the case we could have a different discussion.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

the_happy_mudlark

Post by the_happy_mudlark » Mon Oct 30, 2023 7:39 pm

Great, thanks Pugsy. I guess my issue is I didn't feel bad before, and I don't feel any different now with CPAP therapy. I also wasn't sure if a tiny bit of snoring was 'really bad' or acceptable. I'll stick with the settings for now, maybe bump up the min pressure in a week and see how I go. Appreciate your insights and advice.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Mon Oct 30, 2023 7:50 pm

Snoring is a telltale warning sign that the airway is trying to collapse. Now just because it is trying to collapse doesn't always mean it ends up collapsing and some sort of apnea event happens.

Snoring alone can disturb sleep...both yours and the spouses.
Maybe not to the point of being anything but very mild OSA but it can still disturb sleep...and anything that disturbs our sleep is unwanted because it affects ours (or spouses) over all sleep quality and potentially how we feel during the day.
So it doesn't always have to be a lot of OSA events and all that for "just snoring" to be much of a problem.

I would snore and immediately wake myself up....often during the night.
Not to mention what my snoring did for hubby's sleep quality...it sent his straight to the toilet. :lol:

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.