Cleaning (AGAIN???)

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Sabrina57

Cleaning (AGAIN???)

Post by Sabrina57 » Sun Nov 19, 2023 8:18 am

I'm sure this topic has been done to death, so I just want to offer a technique I use that I never heard of anyone else mentioning:

Once a week, instead of washing out the tubing with anti-bacterial scrub soap (as I did for quite a while), now I fill the tank about 1/3 full with isopropyl alcohol, set the humidifier to high, tubing heat off, and ramp time off. Hook up all the tubing, nasal pillow and all, and let it run until the alcohol is almost gone. Takes about half an hour. The alcohol vapor will kill any bacteria anywhere in the system that is downstream from the filter.

Then dump what little alcohol remains, turn off the humidifier, and let it run 20 minutes or so to dry everything out.

That's the weekly sanitizing. Daily, I empty the tank, wash the nasal pillow with warm water and Dawn, rinse well. Then hook up all the tubing and let it run for half an hour or so to thoroughly dry everything out.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Re: Cleaning (AGAIN???)

Post by chunkyfrog » Sun Nov 19, 2023 8:46 am

I hope you protect yourself from those fumes.

Sabrina57

Post by Sabrina57 » Sun Nov 19, 2023 8:50 am

Thank you. I run the alcohol cycle in the bedroom while I am elsewhere in the house, so fumes aren't a problem.

Conrad

Post by Conrad » Sun Nov 19, 2023 8:51 am

Sabrina57 wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2023 8:18 am
I'm sure this topic has been done to death, so I just want to offer a technique I use that I never heard of anyone else mentioning:

Once a week, instead of washing out the tubing with anti-bacterial scrub soap (as I did for quite a while), now I fill the tank about 1/3 full with isopropyl alcohol, set the humidifier to high, tubing heat off, and ramp time off. Hook up all the tubing, nasal pillow and all, and let it run until the alcohol is almost gone. Takes about half an hour. The alcohol vapor will kill any bacteria anywhere in the system that is downstream from the filter.

Then dump what little alcohol remains, turn off the humidifier, and let it run 20 minutes or so to dry everything out.

That's the weekly sanitizing. Daily, I empty the tank, wash the nasal pillow with warm water and Dawn, rinse well. Then hook up all the tubing and let it run for half an hour or so to thoroughly dry everything out.
MAJOR overkill* but you do you.

*No pun intended.
ResMed AirCurve 10 Vauto Swift FX

Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many...

Julie

Post by Julie » Sun Nov 19, 2023 9:01 am

99% of us never (or soo rarely) clean the hoses - nothing but air ever goes thru them at any time.

Elbietab

Post by Elbietab » Sun Nov 19, 2023 12:12 pm

I have had my ResMed for 8 years and use it every night. I have never had a problem with infection, irritation, etc. I have DreamWear nasal pillows. When I got the machine I was told by the technician to clean the parts every week and do a more thorough cleaning once a month. For the weekly cleaning I was told to use baby shampoo. I fill a basin with hot water and a few squirts of shampoo and soak parts for 20 minutes. For the hose, I clip it to my free standing paper towel holder (I know it sounds weird but it works perfectly) such that the electronic end is higher and then fill with shampoo solution. After 20 to 30 minutes, I rinse and allow everything to dry in bathtub on a towel with hose hanging over shower nozzle. I clean regular filter this way and change regular and Hepa filters once a month.
I was told that once a month I was to make a solution of 3 parts water to 1 part white vinegar. I make up about 12 cups of solution (9 water, 3 vinegar).I microwave so that solution is warm. I soak everything the same as when I am using the shampoo bath.
I don't know if this is helpful, but I have been using this method and have never had any problems whatsoever in those 8 years.
Elaine

Sabrina57

Post by Sabrina57 » Sun Nov 19, 2023 12:20 pm

Julie wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2023 9:01 am
99% of us never (or soo rarely) clean the hoses - nothing but air ever goes thru them at any time.
The humidifier leaves the inside of the hose moist after you turn the CPAP off in the morning, which makes it a hospitable environment for bacteria and mold. That's why I clean the inside of the hose once every week or so. I use alcohol vapors because it is easier and quicker than removing the hose and washing the inside of it with water and detergent. It takes less than a minute to pour in the alcohol and adjust the settings. The machine does the rest while I go about other chores. But to each his own.

Also, 99% of statistics are made up. :wink:

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sun Nov 19, 2023 1:06 pm

Sabrina57 wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2023 12:20 pm
The humidifier leaves the inside of the hose moist after you turn the CPAP off in the morning,
My ResMed machine continues to blow air (after I turn the machine off) at a low level pressure for 30 minutes or so
for the express purpose of drying out the hose. That's enough to suit me.

But as you say.....each to their own.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Okie bipap

Post by Okie bipap » Sun Nov 19, 2023 1:20 pm

When I started treatment 8 years ago, I was also told to clean everything weekly and do a deep clean with vinegar once a month. That lasted about six months. Now , I do good if I remember to clean things once a month.

Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional.

palerider

Post by palerider » Sun Nov 19, 2023 1:29 pm

Sabrina57 wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2023 8:18 am

Let us know how that comes out when something ignites those flammable vapors. toasty!

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Dog Slobber

Post by Dog Slobber » Sun Nov 19, 2023 2:33 pm

Sabrina57 wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2023 12:20 pm
The humidifier leaves the inside of the hose moist after you turn the CPAP off in the morning, which makes it a hospitable environment for bacteria and mold.
This is not true.

Bacteria and other pathogens, need more than just moisture to survive they need food and a condusive environment.

There's an accronym that is used to describe what bacteria need to survive and thrive. FATTOM : Food, acidity, time, temperature, oxygen, and moisture.

With CPAP machines; Time, Temperature and Oxygen are always present. Adding Moisture, does not complete the required componnets. You still need Food and Acidty, which are simply not present.

Sabrina57

Post by Sabrina57 » Sun Nov 19, 2023 3:21 pm

Pugsy wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2023 1:06 pm
My ResMed machine continues to blow air (after I turn the machine off) at a low level pressure for 30 minutes or so
for the express purpose of drying out the hose.
My Luna G3 does not. I have to turn it on to dry out the hose.

SleepGeek

Post by SleepGeek » Sun Nov 19, 2023 3:25 pm

Sabrina57 wrote: The humidifier leaves the inside of the hose moist after you turn the CPAP off in the morning, which makes it a hospitable environment for bacteria and mold.
Leaving the hose moist is not the biggest problem esp. IF you are using distilled water.
Tap or bottled water provide the food that bacteria need in the form of minerals.

So even IF you are using distilled but then wash using tap water you are providing the minerals needed for the airborne bacteria to survive when you wash using tap.

Then hanging the hose (or other things) in the bathroom? to dry is IMHO not a good thing at all.
Leaving the water chamber open (to the room air) to dry is just as bad.

So how do I dry my water chamber? - I don't cuz I will just be putting water back in it.

Not only that when using the cpap the moisture is all over the inside of the hose. So for me, I see no point in drying out the hose before making it wet once again.

The money spent on cleaning supplies is one thing but the time spent cleaning will never be recovered.

All thru this forum you will find people who will argue that you can use tap water and certainly THEY can, I don't and haven't in 17 yrs and have not had a problem when using *Distilled Water* as my Dr. recommended.
Happiness is being on Dog Slobber pr & zonkers foe list
CrankyGranny is Whale Road + many other ids
They are here to help.
zonkers + palerider aka GrumpyHere wrote: What exactly do you think you're adding to this thread?

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Mon Nov 20, 2023 12:27 am

palerider wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2023 1:29 pm
. . .
Let us know how that comes out when something ignites those flammable vapors. toasty!
Plenty of electrical devices in the bedroom to produce a spark,
and a lot of flammable alcohol fumes.
What the OP might consider is doing the alcohol thing
OUTDOORS,
where the fumes can at least dissipate outside with less risk of fire.
Note: homeowner's insurance does not cover ARSON!

Dog Slobber

Post by Dog Slobber » Mon Nov 20, 2023 6:57 am

SleepGeek wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2023 3:25 pm
Tap or bottled water provide the food that bacteria need in the form of minerals.

So even IF you are using distilled but then wash using tap water you are providing the minerals needed for the airborne bacteria to survive when you wash using tap.
Bacteria that can thrive on non-organic food sources are very rare. Minerals are not organic.