Made A Cleaning Mistake

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
DumbNewb

Made A Cleaning Mistake

Post by DumbNewb » Sun Dec 03, 2023 12:20 am

I'm suffering from a bad cold, and in my sleep deprived delirium, I used rubbing alcohol in the water tank of my CPAP, swirled it around, then dumped and rinsed it.

I realize now that it was an immensely stupid thing to do, and now I'm worried I'm going to burn away my brain if I use it now.

I've currently got my CPAP running at full humidity to try and work it out of the system.

Am I safe to use this thing, or did I just ruin an incredibly expensive piece of medical equipment?

LSAT

Re: Made A Cleaning Mistake

Post by LSAT » Sun Dec 03, 2023 5:26 am

Whatever is in the water tub NEVER enters the machine.The machine blows it into the hose and mask. If cleaning doesn't get rid of the alcohol smell, buy a new water tub and possibly a hose.

jlsmithseven

Post by jlsmithseven » Sun Dec 03, 2023 6:07 am

Try soaking it in Dawn Dish Soap or Vinegar for a few hours then rinsing and air drying. I used Dawn and it got rid of most of the smells, but now I use Dr Bronner's Castile Soap mixed with water and a few essential oil drops and it smells nice and cleans well.

Sheriff Buford

Post by Sheriff Buford » Sun Dec 03, 2023 8:32 am

I'm with LSAT, I wouldn't worry about it. Make sure you rinse it well.

Sheriff

Okie bipap

Post by Okie bipap » Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:58 pm

As long as yo rinsed it after the alcohol, you removed any residual alcohol. Alcohol has a great affinity for water, and will easily mix with it. If there were any alcohol left in the water reservoir after you rinsed it out, it would be greatly diluted and present no danger to you.

Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional.

palerider

Post by palerider » Sun Dec 03, 2023 11:09 pm

DumbNewb wrote:
Sun Dec 03, 2023 12:20 am
I'm suffering from a bad cold, and in my sleep deprived delirium, I used rubbing alcohol in the water tank of my CPAP, swirled it around, then dumped and rinsed it.

I realize now that it was an immensely stupid thing to do, and now I'm worried I'm going to burn away my brain if I use it now.

I've currently got my CPAP running at full humidity to try and work it out of the system.

Am I safe to use this thing, or did I just ruin an incredibly expensive piece of medical equipment?
Did you rinse it.. oh, yes, you did.

It's not stupid, it's not even a thing.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.