Water Resevoir Question

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Nemo48

Water Resevoir Question

Post by Nemo48 » Mon Dec 04, 2023 11:11 pm

I use distilled water in my CPAP machine, per instructions. Because distilled water is free of contaminants, why is it necessary to dump it out each day and replace it with more distilled water? Can't you just leave it in and add more water up to the fill line? Alternatively, can you save the used distilled water in a container, dry out the reservoir and reuse the saved water the next night?
CPAP user since Summer 2023

zonker

Re: Water Resevoir Question

Post by zonker » Mon Dec 04, 2023 11:54 pm

Nemo48 wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2023 11:11 pm
I use distilled water in my CPAP machine, per instructions. Because distilled water is free of contaminants, why is it necessary to dump it out each day and replace it with more distilled water? Can't you just leave it in and add more water up to the fill line? Alternatively, can you save the used distilled water in a container, dry out the reservoir and reuse the saved water the next night?
i use distilled water and never empty the chamber.

i have no idea why you'd want to pour out, dry then pour back in.
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg

Nemo48

Post by Nemo48 » Tue Dec 05, 2023 1:26 am

The instructions with the AirSense 11 say to empty the chamber each morning and dry out with a towel
CPAP user since Summer 2023

surf_rower

Post by surf_rower » Tue Dec 05, 2023 7:32 am

I've kept mine filled with distilled till it empties itself, then I just add more. Never an issue that I know of, in over 10 years of doing that. Also, when traveling, I use tap water, no issue with that either.
I'm unclear whether distilled is meant to protect the machine, or us.
ResMed AirSense 11 AutoSet
Mask: ResMed N30i with cushion

Conrad

Post by Conrad » Tue Dec 05, 2023 8:38 am

Nemo48 wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2023 11:11 pm
Most folks here frown on emptying and/or cleaning your water reservoir, not me.

My routine is to fill the reservoir (w/distilled water) to the midpoint line just before bedtime, this is just enough water to get me through the night, then empty the small amount of water that remains in the morning. I then shake out the remaining water, turn the reservoir upside down, and let it air dry on a paper towel. Once a week I soak everything that can be soaked in a vinegar and water solution for a few hours, rinse it all really well, and hang or set everything up to air dry. I replace my mask pillow once per month along with the machine's air filter. Once a year I replace the heated hose, the water reservoir, and the headgear/mask system.

Is this overkill? Perhaps, but is works for me and gives me peace of mind.

YMMV
ResMed AirCurve 10 Vauto Swift FX

Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many...

Conrad

Post by Conrad » Tue Dec 05, 2023 8:39 am

surf_rower wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2023 7:32 am
I've kept mine filled with distilled till it empties itself, then I just add more. Never an issue that I know of, in over 10 years of doing that. Also, when traveling, I use tap water, no issue with that either.
How does your reservoir empty itself if you keep it filled? :mrgreen:
ResMed AirCurve 10 Vauto Swift FX

Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many...

jdm5

Post by jdm5 » Tue Dec 05, 2023 8:41 am

I also fill it up each night, reusing previous night's distilled water. It's not a huge deal either way. Periodically (infrequently) I clean everything and dump it and start over.

You should do what you're comfortable with - no harm (besides some wasted water) in dumping it each day.

surf_rower

Post by surf_rower » Tue Dec 05, 2023 9:09 am

Conrad wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2023 8:39 am
surf_rower wrote:
How does your reservoir empty itself if you keep it filled? :mrgreen:
Haha, I fill, it empties.
ResMed AirSense 11 AutoSet
Mask: ResMed N30i with cushion

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Tue Dec 05, 2023 9:28 am

surf_rower wrote:
Distilled water or tap water or bottled water or toilet water....don't/won't affect the machine itself. Think about it. All the mechanical parts in the circuit are prior to the air passing over the water to pick up the moisture.

In other parts of the world ResMed doesn't mention distilled water in their manual...they only say "water" and no mention of distilled. Ever wonder why? Distilled is mainly for US marketed machines because distilled is readily available and used to be cheap in the USA.

Now I do use distilled fairly regularly because I live out in the boonies and have well water and it's loaded with minerals and when I do use tap water (run out of distilled or forget) very much then I get those minerals sticking to the water chamber and it gets "yucky" looking and "yucky" feeling but that "yuck" factor doesn't really affect how the machine blows air.

I am not so sure that the "yuck" factor is much of a health risk for people except maybe in their minds but the mind is a powerful tool that sometimes people just have to listen to.

To everyone.....
Whatever floats your boat works IMHO and it's not worth fighting over...so please, please folks don't go down that road in this thread.

Me??? I just washed my water chamber last week....first time this year I guess. I had a time where I used tap water and the yuck factor finally got to me and I decided to clean things up. Otherwise I top it off every single night because I use max humidity and never have enough water left in the chamber to last a second night and my nasal mucosa get really ugly with me when/if they get dried out.
For nearly 15 years I have been on cpap I have had to top the water off every single night....not the end of the world like some people make it out to be. :lol:

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

zonker

Post by zonker » Tue Dec 05, 2023 9:28 pm

Nemo48 wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2023 1:26 am
The instructions with the AirSense 11 say to empty the chamber each morning and dry out with a towel
it prolly says the same on my airsense 10 and my vauto. but i've never done it and i'm here to tell the tale.

not sure what resmed thinks will happen if i don't empty the chamber, but i'm paying for my water and will use it as i please.
Oscar-Win
Oscar-Mac

BlueDragon

Post by BlueDragon » Thu Dec 07, 2023 5:56 pm

When I was using distilled or reverse osmosis water, I would just top off the tank, emptying it only for cleaning. Distilled water does not create a noticeable mineral deposit; RO water produced a very thin film of minerals.

With tap water, softened or not, I dump and refill daily. The reason I do that is to minimize mineral buildup in the tank, which can be quite fast with tap water. I currently use softened water because that is what the faucet dispenses.

I clean the tank only once every month or two and soak it in a vinegar solution to remove any mineral buildup.

OSCAR 1.5.1 is the latest release.
OSCAR Team
ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto, F&P Brevida.
FlashAir SD and FlashPap for data transfer.

RogerSC

Post by RogerSC » Fri Dec 08, 2023 6:18 pm

zonker wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2023 9:28 pm
Nemo48 wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2023 1:26 am
it prolly says the same on my airsense 10 and my vauto. but i've never done it and i'm here to tell the tale.

not sure what resmed thinks will happen if i don't empty the chamber, but i'm paying for my water and will use it as i please.
I'm with you on not following the ResMed water tank instructions, or replacement schedules, etc...But on the remote chance that someone dies because they didn't towel out their humidifier tank every day, then ResMed may be less likely to be sued *smile*. After all, they warned their customers. I figure that's why all these detailed instructions that we get with products (that don't get followed) are there, litigation management.

zonker

Post by zonker » Fri Dec 08, 2023 6:36 pm

RogerSC wrote:
Fri Dec 08, 2023 6:18 pm

I'm with you on not following the ResMed water tank instructions, or replacement schedules, etc...But on the remote chance that someone dies because they didn't towel out their humidifier tank every day, then ResMed may be less likely to be sued *smile*. After all, they warned their customers. I figure that's why all these detailed instructions that we get with products (that don't get followed) are there, litigation management.
i agree 100 percent!
Oscar-Win
Oscar-Mac

lazarus

Post by lazarus » Sat Dec 09, 2023 6:09 pm

The instructions are for best practice in a worst-case scenario.

If I were putting water in someone else's machine and that person was weakened and immune compromised, I would follow all manufacturers' instructions to the letter and record that I did.

But for me and my own machine? Eh, I'm a sloppy, lazy guy by nature, I guess. And it ain't killed me yet.
The people who confuse "entomology" and "etymology" really bug me beyond words.
---
A love song to a CPAP? Oh please!:
https://youtu.be/_e32lugxno0?si=W4W9EnrZZTD5Ow6p

zonker

Post by zonker » Sat Dec 09, 2023 6:53 pm

lazarus wrote:
Sat Dec 09, 2023 6:09 pm
And it ain't killed me yet.
whips out cellphone, calls lazarus' wife.
Oscar-Win
Oscar-Mac