Using other filter media

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Aceb32

Using other filter media

Post by Aceb32 » Wed Dec 13, 2023 8:36 am

Just wondering if anyone has tried and if it's OK to replace the standard filter pad with say an activated charcoal pad for cleaner air and eliminating odours ect any info would be appreciated

LSAT

Re: Using other filter media

Post by LSAT » Wed Dec 13, 2023 12:16 pm

Since the air coming out of your CPAP is coming from the room where the machine is located, I would be concerned about any odors in the room.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Wed Dec 13, 2023 12:19 pm

I don't know if an outlet bacterial filter would help. (https://www.cpap.com/productpage/generi ... nes-1-pack) If you try one, find out from someone here whether there is a selection for bacterial filter in your machine's menu.

The standard filter pad is on the machine air intake. Replacing that would not help with the cat urine smell that is in your machine.

Forum tip: Since this is the same issue in your first post, it would have been better to stick to that post.

Aceb32

Post by Aceb32 » Wed Dec 13, 2023 4:15 pm

ChicagoGranny wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2023 12:19 pm
I don't know if an outlet bacterial filter would help. (https://www.cpap.com/productpage/generi ... nes-1-pack) If you try one, find out from someone here whether there is a selection for bacterial filter in your machine's menu.

The standard filter pad is on the machine air intake. Replacing that would not help with the cat urine smell that is in your machine.

Forum tip: Since this is the same issue in your first post, it would have been better to stick to that post.
Oh I'm sorry I didn't consider it the same issue as I didn't intend for it to solve that smell but to prevent any future bad odours getting trapped in my machine as I do travel a lot and there is always a risk when staying in unfamiliar places thank you for your advice

lazarus

Post by lazarus » Wed Dec 13, 2023 5:54 pm

Personally I would not choose to use anything but the usual standard filters or the hypoallergenic filters that are designed for the machines by the design engineers. Some very highly respected posters here choose to double up those filters; I don't recommend that, but I get why they do it. I don't want to do anything to strain the machine or cause added back pressure on the machine, out of respect for the laws of unintended consequences.

The blower is designed to pull air from the room, so treating/purifying the air in the room is the only option for affecting what the blower takes in, as far as I know. Some place nice-smelling stuff in a dish near the blower intake, but I don't recommend that either. I consider pretty much anything with any odor to it to be a source of indoor air-pollution that should not be breathed in all night, including fabric softener and dryer sheets for pjs or bed clothes. But hey I'm just weird that way. Among others.

For example, I don't care where you post or how many related threads you create on somewhat related issues. I just work here. Or play here, anyway.

Good thread.
The people who confuse "entomology" and "etymology" really bug me beyond words.
---
A love song to a CPAP? Oh please!:
https://youtu.be/_e32lugxno0?si=W4W9EnrZZTD5Ow6p

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Wed Dec 13, 2023 7:46 pm

Aceb32 wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2023 4:15 pm
I didn't intend for it to solve that smell but to prevent any future bad odours getting trapped in my machine
Understood now and agree.

You can probably tell that, unlike some other members, I do care. 😁

lazarus

Post by lazarus » Wed Dec 13, 2023 8:16 pm

I carefully try to walk that fine line between carefree and careless.
The people who confuse "entomology" and "etymology" really bug me beyond words.
---
A love song to a CPAP? Oh please!:
https://youtu.be/_e32lugxno0?si=W4W9EnrZZTD5Ow6p

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Thu Dec 14, 2023 7:04 am

If you are not living on the edge, you are not living.

Aceb32

Post by Aceb32 » Thu Dec 14, 2023 9:24 am

ChicagoGranny wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2023 7:46 pm
Aceb32 wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2023 4:15 pm
I didn't intend for it to solve that smell but to prevent any future bad odours getting trapped in my machine
Understood now and agree.

You can probably tell that, unlike some other members, I do care. 😁
I appreciate it I'm glad I found this site as I don't know anyone else who has a cpap machine to ask