Can climate affect sleep apnea?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Lindsie

Can climate affect sleep apnea?

Post by Lindsie » Sat Dec 23, 2023 2:52 am

I'm starting to wonder if there's a connection between Louisiana and my newly diagnosed sleep apnea. I lived in Connecticut for almost 29 years and Maine for just about 7 months and I never had trouble sleeping. I moved to Louisiana in late March of 2017 and by January 2018 I was on social media discussing my struggles with insomnia. (*I assume it had become an issue earlier and I just started discussing it in January because it had become a problem that wouldn't go away.) We have central air where we live, but maybe that's not enough? Perhaps the heat and humidity have affected me enough to destroy my ability to sleep? Does this sound crazy, or am I on to something here?

ChicagoGranny

Re: Can climate affect sleep apnea?

Post by ChicagoGranny » Sat Dec 23, 2023 6:22 am

Lindsie wrote:
Sat Dec 23, 2023 2:52 am
Perhaps the heat and humidity have affected me
I sleep better when the weather is cold. Heat and humidity do have an effect. This seems to be universal.

More importantly, are you using data to track the effectiveness of your CPAP therapy?

(Maybe it's that yummy Cajun and Creole food?)

Conrad

Post by Conrad » Sat Dec 23, 2023 7:28 am

Are you sleeping outside or in the house? What's the temp and humidity inside at bedtime?

We have programmable thermostat and have it set to reduce the temp in the house by 6 degrees at 10pm, we like it colder in the house for sleeping.
ResMed AirCurve 10 Vauto Swift FX

Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many...

zonker

Post by zonker » Sat Dec 23, 2023 1:05 pm

Lindsie wrote:
I'm starting to wonder if there's a connection between Louisiana and my newly diagnosed sleep apnea.
no. climate can impact sleep, but it does not cause sleep apnea.

one can treat sleep apnea very well but still have insomnia.
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg

ozij

Re: Can climate affect sleep apnea? [a word about threads too]

Post by ozij » Sun Dec 24, 2023 10:15 pm

Sleep apnea and insomnia are not the same thing.

Age can affect sleep apnea, as can weight gain.

Please stick to one thread - it makes it easier for us to understand what's going on with you and your CPAP therapy.

You can alway edit the specific subject of a post on your thread before you press "submit" in a way the the keyword you want - in this case "climate" will be part of the subject.
You can see how I've edited the subject of this reply to add the word "threads".

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Good advice is compromised by missing data
Forum member Dog Slobber Nov. 2023

Lindsie

Re: Can climate affect sleep apnea? [a word about threads too]

Post by Lindsie » Mon Dec 25, 2023 7:31 pm

ozij wrote:
Sun Dec 24, 2023 10:15 pm
Sleep apnea and insomnia are not the same thing.

Age can affect sleep apnea, as can weight gain.

Please stick to one thread - it makes it easier for us to understand what's going on with you and your CPAP therapy.

You can alway edit the specific subject of a post on your thread before you press "submit" in a way the the keyword you want - in this case "climate" will be part of the subject.
You can see how I've edited the subject of this reply to add the word "threads".
Sorry, I'm new to both this board and this diagnosis and am still learning about both. I literally found out my diagnosis over the phone in a ~2 minute conversation with a nurse over the phone while I was at work, so I know next to nothing about sleep apnea. I've been trying to research it in what little spare time I have, and part of that discovery is this message board, which I found in the middle of the night when my CPAP machine was making loud popping noises. I was given the absolute bare minimum information about sleep apnea or my CPAP machine and haven't even seen the doctor at the Sleep Disorder Clinic since my initial consult.

ozij

Post by ozij » Tue Dec 26, 2023 12:10 pm

No need to apologize, many us, I dare say most of us, came here knowing very little.
Some of us stayed - because we are so grateful for the help we received, and would like to help others.

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Good advice is compromised by missing data
Forum member Dog Slobber Nov. 2023

lazarus

Post by lazarus » Tue Dec 26, 2023 12:12 pm

Lindsie wrote:
I'm starting to wonder if there's a connection between Louisiana and my newly diagnosed sleep apnea. I lived in Connecticut for almost 29 years and Maine for just about 7 months and I never had trouble sleeping. I moved to Louisiana in late March of 2017 and by January 2018 I was on social media discussing my struggles with insomnia. . . . Does this sound crazy, or am I on to something here?
I believe it is considered traditional for all Yankees to blame the deep South for any troubles experienced. :D

OSA is not generally considered a climate-specific condition. But insomnia can be affected by bedroom discomfort and by the stress of moving.
Lindsie wrote:
Mon Dec 25, 2023 7:31 pm
Sorry, I'm new to both this board and this diagnosis and am still learning about both.
We've all been there.

Ozij's suggestion for sticking to one thread, especially at first, is one that following through on will likely get for you the most salient suggestions and observations. It is for your benefit, not a scolding. Ozij has a long history of being particularly helpful to new ones finding their way.

May you get all the help you need!
The people who confuse "entomology" and "etymology" really bug me beyond words.
---
A love song to a CPAP? Oh please!:
https://youtu.be/_e32lugxno0?si=W4W9EnrZZTD5Ow6p

Okie bipap

Post by Okie bipap » Sat Dec 30, 2023 5:27 pm

Climate does not have a direct effect on sleep apnea. However, environmental changes can often affect how well you sleep. Any thing that affects how well you sleep will impact your sleep apnea. Being in that transition period from being awake to sleeping and sleeping to being awake makes us more susceptible to having central apneas. Having lived in many parts of the country, including Louisiana, I know it can often take a long time to adapt to a new environment. If you have allergies, you will find many new allergy triggers in Louisiana that you were never exposed to while living in the north. If you never had allergies in the past, you may now start having them. I hope you get adjusted to your new environment soon.

Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Sun Dec 31, 2023 12:57 pm

It could be nothing more than the local water supply.
Water quality standards vary widely--even inside the US.
Look around you--where does leadership lag?
Some cities are paragons of cleanliness; others just "get by".
The differences really stand out during a disaster; but the problems persist.