Higher AHI

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Sheriff Buford

Higher AHI

Post by Sheriff Buford » Thu Dec 28, 2023 9:01 am

I'll make this as short as I Can. My previous mask of preference is the Philips Fitlife Total mask. It's a "fireman-looking" mask. For comfort factors, I would use the pad-a-cheek liner, but my leak rates would disturb my sleep. I have COPD, breathing issues, three strokes in the last couple years, and a heart monitor (loop recorder) monitoring my heart 24/7. I'll probably pass away in 2024. My AHI always has been a .5 -.7 with the Total face mask. My issue now is, with my breathing issues, the Total mask gives me a Closter phobic feeling and I can't wear it. After over 10 years trying to get a regular full face from hurting my nose bridge, I can now comfortably wear a regular full face mask (Mirage Quattro).

Question: as stated, my AHI with the Total mask is a .5 - .7, but with the regular full face, the AHI is a 1-1.2. It could be twice as high as the Total. Do you folks think this is acceptable? I have a way to wear the Total, but it is a pain in the butt. Regardless of what the doctors say, the AHI of 5 was way too high in my opinion. I'm thinking that with my health issues, I shouldn't be doubling my AHI.... even tho' it's low.

What say you?

LindaGinCanada

Re: Higher AHI

Post by LindaGinCanada » Thu Dec 28, 2023 10:07 am

Sheriff Buford wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2023 9:01 am
Question: as stated, my AHI with the Total mask is a .5 - .7, but with the regular full face, the AHI is a 1-1.2. It could be twice as high as the Total. Do you folks think this is acceptable? I have a way to wear the Total, but it is a pain in the butt. Regardless of what the doctors say, the AHI of 5 was way too high in my opinion. I'm thinking that with my health issues, I shouldn't be doubling my AHI.... even tho' it's low.

What say you?
For how many days has you AHI been higher?
If you are concerned, perhaps talking with the sleep doctor/professional/family doctor would give you some reassuring advice.
Linda in Ontario, Canada

A garden is a friend you can visit anytime.

Sheriff Buford

Post by Sheriff Buford » Thu Dec 28, 2023 10:12 am

I could talk to a sleep doctor, but I have found they are not very knowledgeable.

Sheriff

Miss Emerita

Post by Miss Emerita » Thu Dec 28, 2023 12:02 pm

Oh, I'm very sorry to hear about your health problems.

To my mind, an AHI of 1 or 1.2 counts as "excellent." It doesn't matter that it's twice the size of an even lower number; it's low in and of itself.

Do you know the breakdown of the AHI, both now and previously? One possibility is that you're sleeping a little more restlessly with a new mask and seeing a few extra CAs as a result. If that's right, you might well see the AHI settle back down toward its previous levels as you get used to the new mask.
Oscar software is available at https://www.sleepfiles.com/OSCAR/

Sheriff Buford

Post by Sheriff Buford » Thu Dec 28, 2023 1:19 pm

Thank you, Miss Emerita. Yea, you’re right. My central are low, mostly a zero… maybe a 1, when the used to always be a zero. I have also found that I am sleeping longer (and needing it) than I used to. If I I got six hours, I was good. Now I need 8-9 hours. My meds haven’t changed with the exception of of a water pill and Farxiga for my kidneys, so I don’t think my meds are an issue.
Even though the numbers are double I’m sleeping better and maybe I’m becoming an ole geezer and should not be concerned. The higher AHI was (and has been) in the back of my mind. I kick myself by fighting the full face for so long when all along, a simple mask adjustment was all I needed.
Dang! If I sleep 10 hours and my AHI is a 5 (the magical medical number), I had a total of 50 incidents, which in my mind is waaaay too many. But that’s just me and always has been. Right now, with my respiratory issues, I cannot wear my beloved Total mask. I should be fat, dumb and happy with the full face, even though it bumps my AHI up to a 1ish. It took Pugs years to get me to accept any leak rate above a zero, maybe I have the same type of barriers with AHI.

Sheriff