I'm newbie and I have decided to go on my own

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
LadyRoci

I'm newbie and I have decided to go on my own

Post by LadyRoci » Sat Jan 06, 2024 6:24 am

Hi,

I am a 40 old woman from Spain, I have posted here and there since I've been having trouble to adjust to therapy and my company was not been very helpful. So far I've had two machines provided by my inssurance, the first one was a resvent ibreeze 20c and the second a RESmart GII Sistema CPAP. The machines here are lended to you, you do not own the machine and you can not touch the settings (although I have done it sometimes). I couldn't ajust to the first machine because I felt it was fighting my breathing, the company that provides the services here change the machine for the resart one. This one was better during the summer months but, in the moment the temperatures started to drop in my country(winter is comming) I've been having a lot of trouble with very cold air comming from the machine and rain down the tube. Also the mask is not adjusting very well and I have leaks when sleeping on my side.

Long story short, I have tried to deal with my company in order to find a solution for this problems and they have told me that, this is the only thing my insurance covers. There is no chance to get a better machine or a heated tube and, they said the would only change the mask once a year and either they would give the same one or, if my doctor prescibe it, a nasal pillow one. There is no mask fitting, nothing. They just give you one mask and that's what you are going to use for a year. I don't even know the brand of the mask. They told me to adjust it tigther if I have leaks but it's painful on my face if I do that.
As for the rain on the hose they tell me to lower the machine and try to play with the level of the humidifier (as if I hadn't alredy tried that) and also try to put the hose under my blankets. Air is still cold and full of water. I can not keep the heating at night because it's a wood heating system and I would have to fill it with wood every hour and a half.

I have decided to go solo, I'm buying a Resmed airsense 10 with a heated tube. I havent decided yet wether to buy a new mask or which one to try. I'm a bit scared now about wether I'm doing the right thing. I have only been in therapy for 6 months and I don't know wether I would be able to set the machine well and interpret the data. I hope I'm doing the right thing because, since I started therapy I have been sleeping worse rather than better and I'm exahusted.
Machine: Resvent ibreeze 20c (CPAP mode)
Mask : Philips Pico nasal mask

ChicagoGranny

Re: I'm newbie and I have decided to go on my own

Post by ChicagoGranny » Sat Jan 06, 2024 7:15 am

LadyRoci wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2024 6:24 am
I'm buying a Resmed airsense 10 with a heated tube.
This is a great move. I hope you are getting the AutoSet model. Please make sure.
LadyRoci wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2024 6:24 am
I don't know wether I would be able to set the machine well and interpret the data.
Don't worry about that. You have a lot of great help from heavily experienced members in this forum. ResMed AutoSet machines are the best.

Please stick to this one thread as you continue on this journey. It helps the members to advise you when they can easily see your history.

Miss Emerita

Post by Miss Emerita » Sat Jan 06, 2024 12:48 pm

+1 for Chicago Granny's comments. That's a great machine, and it will generate data that will help us help you find your best settings.

About masks: do you breathe through your nose during the day, or do you often need to breathe through your mouth?
Oscar software is available at https://www.sleepfiles.com/OSCAR/

zonker

Post by zonker » Sat Jan 06, 2024 12:56 pm

what?!?! you're going on your own? i'm shocked, shocked i tell you! :lol:

seriously, the bulk of those in the forum who will help you have done just that. we've managed our own therapy and have lived to tell the tale.

this is going to be a long journey. we are each different in how sleep apnea affects us and just what methods we each need to bring it under control. stick with us and we'll get you there.

good luck!
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg

LadyRoci

Post by LadyRoci » Sat Jan 06, 2024 2:55 pm

I am getting the AutoSet Model yes, I read through all the post before deciding which machine to get. I mostly breathe through my nose unless i'm exercising or yawning...At the moment I think the mask I have is the Philips Pico model, i'm not sure but it's the one that looks more similar to the one they gave me. I'm a side sleeper so I'm thinking about getting one that is more comfortable to move around o maybe just get a CPAP pillow but, for the moment, I'm just buying the machine and see how it goes.
Once I got it I will stop the service from the insurance because i'm paying private insurance and the service the gave me is shit, in fact, is the same one I would have gotten with the national security insurance or even worse....so I would have to buy the next mask and I have time to investigate which opcion is good and not too expensive (i'm not rich xdd).
Machine: Resvent ibreeze 20c (CPAP mode)
Mask : Philips Pico nasal mask

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sat Jan 06, 2024 3:26 pm

When you are ready to try a new mask take a look at the ResMed AirFit N30 under the nose cushion mask.
It's pretty comfy...or at least more comfy than a lot of the other nasal masks.

You can see what it looks like here

https://www.cpap.com/productpage/resmed ... h-headgear

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Sat Jan 06, 2024 4:29 pm

To add to Pugsy's recommendation, cpap.com is a great place to look at masks. They have photos, specs, ratings and customer reviews.
LadyRoci wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2024 2:55 pm
I read through all the post before deciding which machine to get.
You are a rare gem. :)

D.H.

Post by D.H. » Sun Jan 07, 2024 9:19 am

Just an aside. If you buy a machine, in the US, Canada, or Mexico, you will still be able to use it in Europe even though the voltage and frequency are different. You will need a European plug or adapter (a "shape changer"), but not a converter ("a voltage or frequency changer").

surf_rower

Post by surf_rower » Thu Jan 18, 2024 1:21 pm

ChicagoGranny wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2024 4:29 pm
To add to Pugsy's recommendation, cpap.com is a great place to look at masks. They have photos, specs, ratings and customer reviews.
LadyRoci wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2024 2:55 pm
I read through all the post before deciding which machine to get.
You are a rare gem. :)
Super happy to see this! Today my doc prescribed the AirSense 11 and I don't have a choice, but it sounds like a good choice based on your research. That is, if model 11 is as good or better than 10. It arrives next week.
If you are a side sleeper, look at the AirFit N30i (must have the little i), has cushion and it swivels! Pretty awesome. So if you move around, side sleep, etc., it moves with you instead of pulling. Some find it noisy though. I don't, because I always use a noise machine anyway.
ResMed AirSense 11 AutoSet
Mask: ResMed N30i with cushion

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Thu Jan 18, 2024 1:52 pm

surf_rower wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2024 1:21 pm
Today my doc prescribed the AirSense 11 and I don't have a choice, but it sounds like a good choice based on your research.
AirSense 11 is a product series. There are three models in that series. If you are not getting the AutoSet model, you are screwed.

surf_rower

Post by surf_rower » Thu Jan 18, 2024 2:03 pm

ChicagoGranny wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2024 1:52 pm
surf_rower wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2024 1:21 pm
Today my doc prescribed the AirSense 11 and I don't have a choice, but it sounds like a good choice based on your research.
AirSense 11 is a product series. There are three models in that series. If you are not getting the AutoSet model, you are screwed.
I am. It will be set for 5-15, they tell me. My previous machine has been set at 6 for 12 years.
ResMed AirSense 11 AutoSet
Mask: ResMed N30i with cushion

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Fri Jan 19, 2024 12:32 am

surf_rower wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2024 2:03 pm
. . .
It will be set for 5-15, they tell me. My previous machine has been set at 6 for 12 years.
Good!
5-15 indicates a range--and folks here will be able to help you dial it in if necessary.