Aircurve VAuto S Mode

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Jtg073

Aircurve VAuto S Mode

Post by Jtg073 » Thu Jan 11, 2024 11:26 am

What is the difference between VAuto mode and S mode?

When using S mode, will EPAP and IPAP always be at the pressure you set it to? For example, if I set EPAP to 10 and IPAP to 14, will the EPAP pressure always be 10 and IPAP always be 14? Or does it fluctuate based on what the machine determines you need?

I watched a video from TheLankyLefty last night about UARS, and he said his opinion is that Bilevel on S mode is the best treatment for it. I’ve been using VAuto on different pressures and it’s just not working. I used S mode last night and still felt like garbage this morning, but it looked a little better on Oscar. I’m planning on inching the pressure up a little bit each night until I feel a little better.

Pugsy

Re: Aircurve VAuto S Mode

Post by Pugsy » Thu Jan 11, 2024 11:38 am

S mode won't let either EPAP or IPAP to vary at all no matter what happens.

VAuto mode allows for both EPAP and IPAP to vary depending on what the machine is sensing going on.

I know LankyLefty/Jason is a big promoter of fixed mode of anything but he doesn't walk on water and what he says is NOT the gospel and set in stone and not everyone agrees with his thinking.
It's his opinion and that all it is.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Jtg073

Post by Jtg073 » Thu Jan 11, 2024 12:08 pm

Pugsy wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2024 11:38 am
S mode won't let either EPAP or IPAP to vary at all no matter what happens.

VAuto mode allows for both EPAP and IPAP to vary depending on what the machine is sensing going on.

I know LankyLefty/Jason is a big promoter of fixed mode of anything but he doesn't walk on water and what he says is NOT the gospel and set in stone and not everyone agrees with his thinking.
It's his opinion and that all it is.
Hey pugsy,

I know he doesn’t walk on water. I’m just looking for any advice I can get because nothing has helped so far to get a good nights sleep. I haven’t tried S mode, so I figured I’d give this a try and see what happens.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Thu Jan 11, 2024 12:23 pm

By all means give S mode a try.
There are lots of people who find that fixed mode lets them sleep better and feel better.
Be aware that if you happen to be one of the people whose pressure needs vary during the night for some sort of reason (either sleep position or maybe REM stage sleep (this is one of my pressure need variables) that you may have to use a lot more pressure ALL night to get optimal results. I need 6 to 8 cm more pressure during REM to prevent airway collapses.
I don't want to use 8 cm more ALL night long just for the 20% of the time I might be in REM or like someone else I know who needs 19 cm to deal with supine sleeping events and only 9 when side sleeping (and it isn't always so easy to stay on one's back all night long).

But it hurts nothing to try fixed mode as long as you understand what it entails and you are prepared for what you need to do.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Miss Emerita

Post by Miss Emerita » Thu Jan 11, 2024 12:54 pm

Some Aircurve VAutos won't yield data about flow limitations in S mode, but you can emulate S mode easily in VAuto mode. For example, in VAuto mode, if you want your EPAP always to be 10 and your IPAP always to be 14, just set EPAP min to 10, IPAP max to 14, and PS to 4.
Oscar software is available at https://www.sleepfiles.com/OSCAR/