Newly Diagnosed CSA... scared

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Recoil

Newly Diagnosed CSA... scared

Post by Recoil » Tue Jan 23, 2024 1:38 pm

Hi everyone,

47yr old male recently diagnosed with both OSA and Central Sleep Apnea. I figured i had OSA because I am overweight and snoring runs in my family. But I was quickly concerned when they said also had mixed/ Primary Central Sleep Apnea.

When they described to me what it was, my anxiety came pouring out of me. Why is my brain not sending signals to breathe!! Ugh..

Anyway, tomorrow I go to the Sleep Study Center for a CPAP Titration study over night. I am extremely nervous to the point where I can't eat. They told me its to find the ideal air pressure for a CPAP, but I'm scared they are going to discover something else wrong.

Is a CPAP Titration study worth getting all worked up about? Is my life now doomed because I have CSA? I'm just spiraling I guess...

Pugsy

Re: Newly Diagnosed CSA... scared

Post by Pugsy » Tue Jan 23, 2024 1:50 pm

Recoil wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2024 1:38 pm
Is a CPAP Titration study worth getting all worked up about?
Not at all. Get the titration sleep study done.
Just make sure that the place doing the titration study have plans to try the ASV machine if needed and it's what is needed to deal with both obstructive apnea and central apnea.
Recoil wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2024 1:38 pm
Is my life now doomed because I have CSA?
Of course not. CSA is easily treated with a special kind of cpap machine called ASV. Lots of people have it and do well once they are on proper machine.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Tue Jan 23, 2024 1:57 pm

Something led you to have a sleep study. Usually, it's something bad. Once you have an appropriate machine, you can get rid of the bad. Rejoice, not Recoil!

Recoil

Post by Recoil » Tue Jan 23, 2024 3:12 pm

Thank you both. I’m new to all of this and having health anxiety doesn’t help. The Dr said I have been dealing with this for years and now we have confirmation of what it is and I should be feeling better after treatment. I just got scared of the central sleep apnea component as I have never heard of it.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Tue Jan 23, 2024 3:57 pm

Recoil wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2024 3:12 pm
I’m new to all of this and having health anxiety doesn’t help.
It's common for untreated sleep apnea to cause anxiety. You might be able to blow the anxiety away.

zonker

Post by zonker » Tue Jan 23, 2024 5:04 pm

you're going to be fine as previously stated. DO come back here going forward as this forum can offer all kinds of help to you on your sleep apnea journey.

good luck!
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg

Respirator99

Post by Respirator99 » Tue Jan 23, 2024 8:12 pm

You'll be fine! I've had central apnea for years and the ASV treats it perfectly.
* Download Oscar
* Oscar help
* An alternative to Oscar - try SleepHQ

I have no medical training or qualifications. Take my advice for what it's worth.

Recoil

Post by Recoil » Mon Feb 05, 2024 11:26 am

Well I survived the CPAP Titration. All of you were right :lol: Thank yoU! My Dr. ordered a CPAP with 18 Cm H20? Is that good or bad? What does that mean?

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Mon Feb 05, 2024 5:42 pm

Recoil wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2024 11:26 am
Well I survived the CPAP Titration. All of you were right :lol: Thank yoU! My Dr. ordered a CPAP with 18 Cm H20? Is that good or bad? What does that mean?
That's a high pressure. The most common machines used only go to 20.0 cmH2O. A typical pressure is around 10 or 12.

It sounds like your doctor may have ordered a straight CPAP machine instead of an auto-adjusting machine (APAP). You might regret getting a straight CPAP. Before taking delivery of a machine, please find out the exact brand/model and report back here.

Some examples:

ResMed AirSense 11 AutoSet
ResMed AirSense 11 CPAP
ResMed AirSense 11 Elite

The only model I would accept is the AutoSet. It's an APAP.

SleepGeek

Post by SleepGeek » Mon Feb 05, 2024 9:14 pm

Recoil wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2024 11:26 am
My Dr. ordered a CPAP with 18 Cm H20?
At that pressure I would ask the doc to order an auto-BiPap - The Auto AirCurve model would fit that request.
https://www.cpap.com/productpage/resmed ... el-machine
Happiness is being on Dog Slobber pr & zonkers foe list
CrankyGranny is Whale Road + many other ids
They are here to help.
zonkers + palerider aka GrumpyHere wrote: What exactly do you think you're adding to this thread?

Miss Emerita

Post by Miss Emerita » Tue Feb 06, 2024 12:34 pm

Because you have mixed apnea, an ASV machine might be what you need. (That's Adaptive Servo Ventilation.) Because ASVs are quite expensive, insurers often require that patients "fail" regular PAP and then bi-level PAP before moving to an ASV.

Did your titration study not include emulation of all three kinds of machines?
Oscar software is available at https://www.sleepfiles.com/OSCAR/

Recoil

Post by Recoil » Tue Feb 06, 2024 4:57 pm

No my titration was just on a regular CPAP. I think it may be insurance related. I have a call into my DR to ask.

SleepGeek

Post by SleepGeek » Tue Feb 06, 2024 6:44 pm

Miss Emerita wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2024 12:34 pm
an ASV machine might be what you need.
Excellent point.
Miss Emerita wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2024 12:34 pm
Because ASVs are quite expensive, insurers often require that patients "fail" regular PAP and then bi-level PAP before moving to an ASV.
Unfortunately, yes, the insurance can make the doc take the patient thru 2 failures first which can take some time.
Recoil wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2024 4:57 pm
No my titration was just on a regular CPAP. I think it may be insurance related. I have a call into my DR to ask.
Who do you have for insurance? You are always better of speaking directly with your insurance provider. There are just too many different policies for the doc or the DME to know all the hooks.
Happiness is being on Dog Slobber pr & zonkers foe list
CrankyGranny is Whale Road + many other ids
They are here to help.
zonkers + palerider aka GrumpyHere wrote: What exactly do you think you're adding to this thread?

bwexler

Post by bwexler » Wed Feb 07, 2024 4:44 pm

If you already know you have mixed/central apneas, I would insist on a Bipap ASV titration study and an ASV machine.
I have been using my ASVs (third one now) for over a decade.
When I was prescribed my ASV there was no debate. Went in for my Bilevel titration. Was prescribed an ASV unit. Went and picked it up from Crapria, totally covered by my insurance at that time. Owned it in 13 months. Current insurance only covers 80%.

Unfortunate bad news I have been assured I WILL die. Probably some time in the next 2 or 3 decades. I am only 78 now.

zonker

Post by zonker » Wed Feb 07, 2024 9:30 pm

bwexler wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2024 4:44 pm

Unfortunate bad news I have been assured I WILL die. Probably some time in the next 2 or 3 decades. I am only 78 now.
myself? i'm going to live forever or die trying.
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg