Hate the Auto feature, want my steady state pressure back

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
surf_rower

Hate the Auto feature, want my steady state pressure back

Post by surf_rower » Sat Jan 27, 2024 11:32 am

Started a new thread because this may be a "big picture" type issue that would apply to more than just my new machine, which is the AirSense 11 AutoSet.

I've been reasonably happy with a setting of 6 for twelve years on my old brick. I've been VERY happy at 6 the past week as Dry January (no beers) has improved my sleep in general. So is there any reason to mess with something successful and use Auto? Because I truly hate it so far.

On my first night, last Sunday, I got a sinus headache and bloody nose and had to give up after 5 hours. On my second night (with three blissful nights on the old machine in between, because I traveled), which was last night, the increasing pressure seemed to cause the side of my mouth to blow open like a little puffer fish, and I would wake up. I swear I woke up 50 times. And I still have a headache.

The prescription has the new machine set for 5-15. I never saw my actual sleep study so I don't really know if I've gotten worse. But I slept fabulously Monday through Thursday in an airbnb with the old machine on a steady 6. (Except when the train horn went off, but the amazing thing is I dropped right back to sleep.)

I checked the display a few times during the night and it was around 8-9 each time. So this is higher than I'm used to. I feel like it's too high and I will never sleep well with my mouth blowing open and pressure constantly changing. I did put on Pressure Relief in the middle of the night (had it Off to start, thinking that was for newbies haha) and that did seem to help.

Both machines are controlling events very well. I'm using the same mask on both, the N30i, very happy with it, yay cushions.

Of course I'll call my doc and ask them to change it, but can I change it myself to a constant 6 or 7? I cannot see how to do that but if anyone knows the hacks, it's you guys.

(I have read instructions and watched videos and searched this group for this particular machine.)

Thanks!
ResMed AirSense 11 AutoSet
Mask: ResMed N30i with cushion

Pugsy

Re: Hate the Auto feature, want my steady state pressure back

Post by Pugsy » Sat Jan 27, 2024 11:45 am

surf_rower wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2024 11:32 am
can I change it myself to a constant 6 or 7?
Sure you can. All you need to do is learn (and do) the secret handshake (combination of button pushing) to get into the clinical setup menu and make the change.

The provider/clinical manual explains it
starts on page 15
https://media.resmed.com/sites/3/202106 ... ER-ENG.pdf

Or you could probably google search the web for the video showing how but I like to suggest that people also download and read the clinical manual because it has some very useful information in it that the typical user manual doesn't have.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Miss Emerita

Post by Miss Emerita » Sat Jan 27, 2024 11:49 am

Yes, you can change your settings yourself. More information here:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q ... i=89978449

Once you're in the clinical settings, you can set your min to 6 and your max to 6 (and EPR to 2, if you like). As long as you're in there, set Patient View to Advanced so you can get more information on your screen each day.
Oscar software is available at https://www.sleepfiles.com/OSCAR/

surf_rower

Post by surf_rower » Sat Jan 27, 2024 4:20 pm

Miss Emerita wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2024 11:49 am
Yes, you can change your settings yourself. More information here:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q ... i=89978449

Once you're in the clinical settings, you can set your min to 6 and your max to 6 (and EPR to 2, if you like). As long as you're in there, set Patient View to Advanced so you can get more information on your screen each day.
Thanks to you and Pugsy, that was easy!! I'm excited now, a night of 6-6 coming up.
I use a mask with cushions, so I would select Pillows, I assume, rather than Full face or Nasal.
I am also not accustomed to a heated hose. I'll try the hose without heat but if there is a lighter weight hose that fits, maybe I'll get that. This hose is a bit heavy and my tape-on-wall setup may not work as well.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sat Jan 27, 2024 4:52 pm

surf_rower wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2024 4:20 pm
I use a mask with cushions, so I would select Pillows, I assume, rather than Full face or Nasal.
Which nasal cushion mask? If under the nose cushion then I think it is pillows but if over the end of the nose cushion then you would choose nasal.

If it is a ResMed mask it will tell you in the little brochure that came with the mask which mask setting choice to make.

I know with the N30 under the nose cushion (BTW nice little mask, silent and super comfy) is pillows...it says so in the paperwork and I saw it with my own beady eyes.

BUT to be honest it isn't the end of the world if you forget or chose the wrong one.
Some years back I decided to try a full face mask just to be trying it. I was using nasal pillows at the time and I forgot to change the setting to full face. So after 3 nights I remembered that setting and changed it and then used the FFM 3 more nights. No real huge earth shattering difference in anything except the leak numbers.
When using the FFM and still using the pillows setting the overall leak numbers and graph showed just a little more leak than it showed when I changed it to the correct setting.
I couldn't see, feel or sense any difference with the settings either right or wrong.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

surf_rower

Post by surf_rower » Mon Jan 29, 2024 5:08 pm

Pugsy wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2024 4:52 pm
surf_rower wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2024 4:20 pm
Which nasal cushion mask? If under the nose cushion then I think it is pillows but if over the end of the nose cushion then you would choose nasal.

If it is a ResMed mask it will tell you in the little brochure that came with the mask which mask setting choice to make.
AirFit N30i. Thanks for the direction to the booklet – it does say pillows. I'm using a demo mask from my doctor without the QuietAir vent. The new mask is identical except it has the quiet vent. I am wondering where the air goes that no longer seems to be coming out of the cushion. ???

Now that I'm set at a steady 6 pressure, it's working spectacularly well. I slept 7 hours straight and had 0.0 events last night! And 0.2 the night before. I forgot to put any water in the first night, and it didn't make any difference, both nights very comfy.

Thanks for your help.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Mon Jan 29, 2024 5:44 pm

surf_rower wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2024 5:08 pm
I am wondering where the air goes that no longer seems to be coming out of the cushion. ???
Oh it still gets vented but the vented air is diffused a lot so you don't feel it so much.

The venting still happens even if we don't feel it so much.

Wet your finger and stick it up by the vent holes....you can notice it more if your finger is wet.