Upgrading The Defunct Resmed 2G/3G Modems

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
GearChange

Upgrading The Defunct Resmed 2G/3G Modems

Post by GearChange » Wed Jan 31, 2024 3:38 pm

There may still be people left out in the cold with their expensive 2G/3G Resmed machines, unable to use their Resmed Air app or connect to their healthcare provider.
Good news is that 4G LTE Modem Cards for Resmed 10 series machines can be purchased online at places like eBay and if you can hold a screw driver and turn it the right way to loosen up a screw, you should be able to replace your old defunct 2G/3G card yourself.
FYI I just upgraded my AirCurve ASV machine, not that I ever use this machine (I am a Respironics patient for life), but because I want to sell the darn thing and I can't sell it without 4G capability.
I hope this helps and you are welcome.
Even though I have had extensive experience with the use and functionality of several types of different PAP machines,no information in my posts should be put in practice unless cleared by your own medical practitioner first.

pisco21

Re: Upgrading The Defunct Resmed 2G/3G Modems

Post by pisco21 » Thu Feb 01, 2024 7:48 am

Can you post additional insight as to how you did the upgrade? In previous discussions, it seemed as though just changing the boards wouldn't work, as firmware needed to be upgraded as well. It sounded problematic, however you make it sound relatively easy. It would be great to hear your experience!

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Thu Feb 01, 2024 10:30 am

Aside from being able to possibly using MyAir and transmitting data to the doctor, what would be the purpose of adding a modem? After years of use, I don't see any reason to connect to the doctor and MyAir was developed mainly for new users to follow their progress.

Dog Slobber

Post by Dog Slobber » Thu Feb 01, 2024 12:02 pm

GearChange wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2024 3:38 pm
FYI I just upgraded my AirCurve ASV machine, not that I ever use this machine
So your upgrade is untested.

The interface between an older 2G/3G modem and a newer 4G modem is plug-in compatible, but there are potential problems that could prevent them from working.

Older machines may not have the proper firmware to support a 4G modem, already pointed out by pisco. There could also be serial number problems. For example when one tries to register a card-to-cloud machine on MyAir, one is immediately met with an error informing that that machine can't be used with MyAir.

If data compatibly is important, it's certainly worth the risk. But simply plugging it in and even seeing a signal strength icon is not sufficient to make the claim it will work.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Thu Feb 01, 2024 12:11 pm

If my pneumonologist has a problem getting my data, someone will ask me to bring in the sd card.
Or not.
Whatever.
Medicare does not pay them enough to be THAT focused.
And I just dropped the daily journal I had kept since 2010.
Life is too short to document every damn thing.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Thu Feb 01, 2024 12:56 pm

LSAT wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2024 10:30 am
MyAir was developed mainly for new users to follow their progress.
DMEs love it. If an insurance company asks for compliance on a claim the DME submitted, they have it. (Also, this saves me the aggravation of visiting my DME with an SD card in hand.)

lazarus

Post by lazarus » Thu Feb 01, 2024 1:03 pm

chunkyfrog wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2024 12:11 pm
Agreed.

After all, why do the NSA's job for them?
The people who confuse "entomology" and "etymology" really bug me beyond words.
---
A love song to a CPAP? Oh please!:
https://youtu.be/_e32lugxno0?si=W4W9EnrZZTD5Ow6p

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Thu Feb 01, 2024 1:04 pm

lazarus wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2024 1:03 pm
chunkyfrog wrote:
Agreed.

While they are doing it anyway?

zonker

Post by zonker » Thu Feb 01, 2024 2:01 pm

lazarus wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2024 1:03 pm
chunkyfrog wrote:
Agreed.

OUT!===============>
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg

SleepGeek

Post by SleepGeek » Thu Feb 01, 2024 8:45 pm

I think the reason that mfgs came up with the modems was to make billing easier for the DME's after all they do think of the DME's as their customers and they no longer have to hire someone to drive to the house to get the usage numbers for billing.

I have had BiPaps and Cpaps that I removed the modem from before I ever powered them on so my doc never knew anything except the printout I would bring for my visits.

I know of no Dr who has access to MyAir who sits down to review any of that info Before the patient is in the room. They just don't have that kind of time or interest.
Happiness is being on Dog Slobber pr & zonkers foe list
CrankyGranny is Whale Road + many other ids
They are here to help.
zonkers + palerider aka GrumpyHere wrote: What exactly do you think you're adding to this thread?

pisco21

Post by pisco21 » Fri Feb 02, 2024 10:13 am

> I know of no Dr who has access to MyAir who sits down to review any of that info Before the patient is in the room. They just don't have that kind of time or interest.

Sleepgeek, in fairness, I thought that too. However, my sleep doctor is pretty good, and I've had conversations with her nurse on the telephone where he was looking at data from MyAir and I was looking at my OSCAR data. So, some doctors DO use the info. Albeit, I've had three doctors over the last 18 months since i was diagnosed, and she is the only one that DOES look at data.

I bought a used AC10 Vauto but didn't pay enough attention and bought a low hours CDMA model. Hence, no auto-upload.

At any rate, I'm an engineer by training originally (although several decades ago!), so the technical challenge perks my interest.

Anyway, I hope we didn't scare away the OP and they give some additional insight into how they did it. It might be like Dogslobber suggested, and they replaced the board but it doesn't necessarily work. Or it might be possible... the techie in me wonders which one is correct! :-)

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Fri Feb 02, 2024 2:24 pm

At least it's not a Youtube video.
We have seen a few done by beginners, who think they know everything,
only to discover their mistake over halfway through.
---but they still upload it!
:lol: :lol: :lol:

SleepGeek

Post by SleepGeek » Fri Feb 02, 2024 4:28 pm

I've had conversations with her nurse on the telephone where he was looking at data from MyAir
Likely cuz you were calling? But the nurse not the doc.
Happiness is being on Dog Slobber pr & zonkers foe list
CrankyGranny is Whale Road + many other ids
They are here to help.
zonkers + palerider aka GrumpyHere wrote: What exactly do you think you're adding to this thread?

vandownbytheriver

Post by vandownbytheriver » Sun Feb 04, 2024 1:18 am

First post here, nice to meet y'all.
I have done this upgrade to my older AS10. One thing to note is that the 4G modems don't come with a cable, and the cable is different on one end (the modem end). I was able to cut my old cable in half and solder it to wires, then to the modem board. I've bought two used modems from different sellers... there also appears to be brand-new modems on eBay for about 70$... still with no cable! I'll post directions on how to do this soldering mod if it ends up working.

After I did this my bars came back... but I only had one bar. In the About section you can see the cell carrier... it was blank. So I bought some parts from Amazon and added an external antenna connection! I only paid about 30$ for the cables and antenna. Again, this is for experienced hackers... it's pretty hard to find a place to drill the hole, I ended up drilling it near the SD card and removing the rubber flaps. Now I have 3-4 bars and ATT comes up as the carrier... so I know it's working.

Unfortunately MyAir is still not picking up the data. I use Oscar, of course, so the only reason I want it is to keep my doctor happy (they're clueless, they call the SD card a 'chip'!). His main purpose in life now is to sign prescriptions for me... got a new sleep study coming soon I hope (been 14 years).

So I think I'll delete my MyAir and try starting over... I've done all I can otherwise. Thinking of calling customer support and telling them I've moved and have 3G service again!

I've also completely disassembled it and vinegar soaked/cleaned with dilute Dawn etc... replaced the motor with an Amazon one (22,000 hours!). Now that I know how to hack the firmware I think I'll change the motor hours nag to say 'Congratulations on reaching 22000 hours!'. Even replaced the clock battery.

I bought a new C2C machine at the 'black friday' event, 399$ not bad at all, I love the AS10 Autoset, getting to know every chip and screw in it. Don't hack on your daily driver, folks, have a backup plan before you start turning screws. I now have two AS10's and an older S9, my first machine.

I'll post back if I can get MyAir to pick up and start reporting. I know the modem's working. I saw the video where Nick connected a 3G modem to a C2C machine... he got bars! Of course, he lives in Australia, where they still use 3G... it's my understanding that they lock out the C2C machines from MyAir using the serial number/unit number on back... so C2C will remain C2C. Hacking the serial number will require an order of magnitude more hacker-fu.

dataq1

Post by dataq1 » Sun Feb 04, 2024 8:07 am

Confusion about Drs and DMEs using “MyAir”….when questioned about how they get data, my guys say that “AirView” is what they use, not “MyAir”

As I understand it MyAir is a Bluetooth driven app, while “AirView” is driven by access to the cellular modem in the users device.
"THE INFORMATION PROVIDED ON CPAPTALK.COM IS NOT INTENDED NOR RECOMMENDED AS A SUBSTITUTE FOR PROFESSIONAL MEDICAL ADVICE."