Safety of Dream Station II

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
D.H.

Safety of Dream Station II

Post by D.H. » Thu Feb 01, 2024 10:35 am

I am currently using a Dream Station II, which I received as a replacement for my Dream Station I.

I am planning to replace this soon, but I want to know if it's considered safe in the meanwhile.

As an aside, I never had any issues with the Dream Station I, which I found superior in design to the Dream Station II.

I'm still glad I didn't get a remediated Dream Station I though, as I don't trust the remediation.

So two questions. The first is whether there is any safety concern with the Dream Station II?

The second question is which machines (of other makes) does everybody like or dislike?

Grumpy48

Re: Safety of Dream Station II

Post by Grumpy48 » Thu Feb 01, 2024 12:34 pm

I've been using the DS2 since about Oct 2021 with no issues and I consider it 'safe' until its time to replace it. Follow the instructions in the manual.

Users have reported overheating.....
"Do not place the device directly onto carpet, fabric, or other flammable materials."

Users have reported burns....
"Allow the heater plate and water to cool down for approximately 15 minutes before removing the humidifier water tank. A burn may result from: touching the heater plate, coming in contact with the heated water, or touching the humidifier water tank pan."

Although formaldehyde has been found in the DS2 foam, it is reportedly below thresholds that would be considered a hazard. Formaldehyde exists in many products around us (new car smell is plastic and foams outgassing which would include formaldehyde) and in likely higher concentrations than what may be put out from the DS2. I'd like to see a Resmed machine tested for comparison.

I have a Resmed AS10 Auto as a backup machine. I prefer the DS2 to it as I found the Resmed was aggressive in its therapy and I didn't sleep as well. Possibly tweaking the settings may improve on it, but I haven't played around with it that much. DS2 AHI numbers are typically 0.5-1.0.

ChicagoGranny

Re: Safety of Dream Station II

Post by ChicagoGranny » Thu Feb 01, 2024 1:03 pm

Grumpy48 wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2024 12:34 pm
Formaldehyde exists in many products around us (new car smell is plastic and foams outgassing which would include formaldehyde)
All trees and the lumber from them emit formaldehyde. This has been true back to Adam and Eve.