CPAP recommendation (DS1 alternative)

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
GoodNightRestGuy

CPAP recommendation (DS1 alternative)

Post by GoodNightRestGuy » Thu Feb 01, 2024 4:29 pm

Hi,

I have been a long time user of CPAP machine (9 years). I used to use PR SystemOne. And due to the recall, now I use the replacement machine, DreamStation 1.
I really love the DS1 over the SystemOne. It's more comfortable - perhaps a better algorithm?

I read that Philips stopped selling sleep apnea machine. I was wondering, what are other brands that have similar characteristics (that would produce the same "feel" / comfy level) as DS1?

Or are there better recommendations that would produce a better "feel" / comfy level than DS1? Preferably something that cost less than $850. Perhaps I can push my budget a bit higher if I have to.

I saw Uncle Nicko's videos, and I just found in this forum to take it with a grain of salt.
In his videos he did some tests and mentioned 2 CPAP machines that have good algorithm: Lowenstein Prisma20A and Fisher & Paykel ICON. But I rarely heard about those brands.

Thanks in advance :)

Okie bipap

Re: CPAP recommendation (DS1 alternative)

Post by Okie bipap » Thu Feb 01, 2024 4:59 pm

The most recommended machine here is the ResMed Air Sense 11 automatic. A close second is the Air Sense 10 automatic or automatic for her.I'm slightly biased as I have only used ResMed machines. The sleep lab my wife and I use only prescribes ResMed machines.

Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional.

zonker

Post by zonker » Thu Feb 01, 2024 5:39 pm

GoodNightRestGuy wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2024 4:29 pm
Hi,

i'm with okie bipap there. although, i'd rather the 10 over the 11, merely because it's been out longer.

will you be paying with insurance or is it out of pocket?

our sponsor, cpap.com, has the 10 on sale-
https://www.cpap.com/productpage/resmed ... t-humidair

however, they don't take insurance.

good luck!
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg

Grumpy48

Post by Grumpy48 » Thu Feb 01, 2024 6:18 pm

"what are other brands that have similar characteristics (that would produce the same "feel" / comfy level) as DS1?"

I started with a DS1 and it was replaced with the DS2 with the recall. They have the same ""feel" / comfy level". After I got the DS2 I bought a lightly used Resmed Air Sense 10 Auto to have as a backup. I used the AS10 for better than a week to be sure it was OK. I used the same settings as my DS2. I felt the AS10 was more aggressive with the therapy to the point I wasn't sleeping well, although the AHI numbers were not bad. Perhaps if I tweaked the settings a bit it might feel better in use and I would get used to it. Retrying the AS10 is on my list of things to do if I get ambitious enough to see if I can get some comfortable settings. I've seen a few posts in this or another forum that also suggested the AS10 seemed a bit aggressive compared to other machines. Probably something you won't know for sure until you try one.

I would recommend that whatever machine you might choose, is get one that uses an SD card for data memory and can import the data into OSCAR.

SleepGeek

Post by SleepGeek » Thu Feb 01, 2024 8:22 pm

I 2nd the AS10. I have used a Respironics and had no problem switching over. But all of mine have been bipaps (BiPAP BiPAP BiPAP BiPAP BiPAP)(inside joke) IF that matters.

Maybe a BiPap is worth a try for exhale relief?

Did you mention what your pressure settings are?
Happiness is being on Dog Slobber pr & zonkers foe list
CrankyGranny is Whale Road + many other ids
They are here to help.
zonkers + palerider aka GrumpyHere wrote: What exactly do you think you're adding to this thread?

GoodNightRestGuy

Post by GoodNightRestGuy » Sat Feb 03, 2024 2:21 pm

Okie bipap wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2024 4:59 pm
The most recommended machine here is the ResMed Air Sense 11 automatic. A close second is the Air Sense 10 automatic or automatic for her.I'm slightly biased as I have only used ResMed machines. The sleep lab my wife and I use only prescribes ResMed machines.
Thanks a lot!

GoodNightRestGuy

Post by GoodNightRestGuy » Sat Feb 03, 2024 2:24 pm

zonker wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2024 5:39 pm
GoodNightRestGuy wrote:
Hi,

i'm with okie bipap there. although, i'd rather the 10 over the 11, merely because it's been out longer.

will you be paying with insurance or is it out of pocket?

our sponsor, cpap.com, has the 10 on sale-
https://www.cpap.com/productpage/resmed ... t-humidair

however, they don't take insurance.

good luck!
Thanks for the warm welcome! :D
I am not new actually, I lost access to my previous account in here.

Oh, are you saying that you use ResMed AirCurve 10 (the BiPAP)?
Thanks a lot for letting me know that our sponsor has a great sale! Indeed, it's a great deal!

Btw, in general, is BiPAP more comfortable than Auto CPAP?

GoodNightRestGuy

Post by GoodNightRestGuy » Sat Feb 03, 2024 2:25 pm

Grumpy48 wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2024 6:18 pm
"what are other brands that have similar characteristics (that would produce the same "feel" / comfy level) as DS1?"

I started with a DS1 and it was replaced with the DS2 with the recall. They have the same ""feel" / comfy level". After I got the DS2 I bought a lightly used Resmed Air Sense 10 Auto to have as a backup. I used the AS10 for better than a week to be sure it was OK. I used the same settings as my DS2. I felt the AS10 was more aggressive with the therapy to the point I wasn't sleeping well, although the AHI numbers were not bad. Perhaps if I tweaked the settings a bit it might feel better in use and I would get used to it. Retrying the AS10 is on my list of things to do if I get ambitious enough to see if I can get some comfortable settings. I've seen a few posts in this or another forum that also suggested the AS10 seemed a bit aggressive compared to other machines. Probably something you won't know for sure until you try one.

I would recommend that whatever machine you might choose, is get one that uses an SD card for data memory and can import the data into OSCAR.
Thanks a lot. Have you had a chance to tweak your AS10? Now I am bit concerned, as my PR SystemOne could be more aggressive than DS1, thus I slept better with DS1.

GoodNightRestGuy

Post by GoodNightRestGuy » Sat Feb 03, 2024 2:28 pm

SleepGeek wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2024 8:22 pm
I 2nd the AS10. I have used a Respironics and had no problem switching over. But all of mine have been bipaps (BiPAP BiPAP BiPAP BiPAP BiPAP)(inside joke) IF that matters.

Maybe a BiPap is worth a try for exhale relief?

Did you mention what your pressure settings are?
Thanks a lot. I would love to try BiPAP. I wish there is a machine that allow us to switch mode between Auto CPAP and BiPAP.
My pressure settings are:
- Start/initial: 7
- Ramp: 10 min.
- Max pressure: 12

Did you ask the pressure to see if BiPAP might be good for me?

Thanks for the BiPAP inside joke :lol:
"BiPAP" is the right one, right? (Oops, I hope I didn't open the can of worm).

SleepGeek

Post by SleepGeek » Sat Feb 03, 2024 3:52 pm

GoodNightRestGuy wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2024 2:28 pm
I would love to try BiPAP. I wish there is a machine that allow us to switch mode between Auto CPAP and BiPAP.
There is it's the BiPap. You can change it to Cpap, Auto, or straight BiPap.

IMHO - it is the ultimate machine. They cost more so you will need the doc to order it for insurance unless you pay out-of-pocket, OOP or is that POOP. It may be worth a try for you.

Often you can find a used one for a reasonable price.
GoodNightRestGuy wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2024 2:28 pm
Did you ask the pressure to see if BiPAP might be good for me?
Yes.
Happiness is being on Dog Slobber pr & zonkers foe list
CrankyGranny is Whale Road + many other ids
They are here to help.
zonkers + palerider aka GrumpyHere wrote: What exactly do you think you're adding to this thread?

zonker

Post by zonker » Sat Feb 03, 2024 6:54 pm

GoodNightRestGuy wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2024 2:24 pm
zonker wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2024 5:39 pm

good luck!
Thanks for the warm welcome! :D
I am not new actually, I lost access to my previous account in here.

Oh, are you saying that you use ResMed AirCurve 10 (the BiPAP)?
Thanks a lot for letting me know that our sponsor has a great sale! Indeed, it's a great deal!

Btw, in general, is BiPAP more comfortable than Auto CPAP?
nope. and that's not it's intent. a bilevel is capable of blowing at higher pressure, which is why i bought it. no machine, in my opinion, is more comfortable than another.
Oscar-Win
Oscar-Mac

ozij

Post by ozij » Sat Feb 03, 2024 11:02 pm

GoodNightRestGuy wrote:
Hi,

In his videos he did some tests and mentioned 2 CPAP machines that have good algorithm: Lowenstein Prisma20A and Fisher & Paykel ICON. But I rarely heard about those brands.

Thanks in advance :)
That's because those machines are more popular in Europe and elsewhere.
zonker wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2024 6:54 pm
no machine, in my opinion, is more comfortable than another.
I disagree. Different algorithms have different ways of interpreting your breathing and different ways of responding to it. Amd we respond to them differently.

Some people do find a bi-level machine (aka BIPAP...) far more comfortable than a simple CPAP or AutoPAP.

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Good advice is compromised by missing data
Forum member Dog Slobber Nov. 2023

zonker

Post by zonker » Sat Feb 03, 2024 11:58 pm

ozij wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2024 11:02 pm

zonker wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2024 6:54 pm
no machine, in my opinion, is more comfortable than another.
I disagree.
how VERY dare you, having an opinion different than mine!
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Oscar-Win
Oscar-Mac

Grumpy48

Post by Grumpy48 » Sun Feb 04, 2024 10:05 am

GoodNightRestGuy wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2024 2:25 pm

Thanks a lot. Have you had a chance to tweak your AS10? Now I am bit concerned, as my PR SystemOne could be more aggressive than DS1, thus I slept better with DS1.
No I have not. I probably should take it out and run it just to exercise the blower motor and play with the settings a bit.

Janknitz

Post by Janknitz » Sun Feb 04, 2024 6:05 pm

I disagree with the premise that some algorithms can't be "more comfortable" than others. My first machine was a PRS1 and I felt like I had to fight it every single night for 6 years. I eventually got used to it, but would never have called it comfortable. And in terms of "aggressiveness" of the algorithm, I always felt it was trying to force me to breathe to its rhythm instead of my own.

I was apprehensive when I first switched to a ResMed 10 autoset, but from the first night it was very comfortable. I never feel like I'm fighting it.

If it helps at all, I don't use EPR. No need for it comfort-wise, and it's quieter and smoother without it. My AHI's were great with my first ResMed, they are somewhat more erratic with my new machine, I'm not sure why. But what that means is that instead of 0.2 or 0.3 at most, I'm having some nights with an AHI of 1.0--but only intermittently. So still very good treatment.
What you need to know before you meet your DME http://tinyurl.com/2arffqx
Taming the Mirage Quattro http://tinyurl.com/2ft3lh8
Swift FX Fitting Guide http://tinyurl.com/22ur9ts
Don't Pay that Upcharge! http://tinyurl.com/2ck48rm