Dreamwear PR mask

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
altrout

Dreamwear PR mask

Post by altrout » Wed Feb 07, 2024 6:07 pm

Hi all, I just started using the Dreamwear nasal cushion. I've only been using CPAP a week and just got this mask (the one I got initially was uncomfortable). I am concerned that when laying on my side, one of the tubes on the sides of the face gets squished against the pillow. I'm using the machine at constant pressure set to 6.

I found this Lanky Lefty video where he shows the tubes being squishy/flexible and says at 3:24 you still get your prescribed pressure if you're laying on your side: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FnF4VCWRxJc
Can anyone confirm if this is true, that you still get your prescribed pressure even if one of the tubes is squished/closed?

I got the Dreamwear specifically because I saw it recommended to side sleepers, and it doesn't seem possible to lay on your side without flattening one of the tubes. So I'm thinking it's fine? As an experiment I also tried turning on the machine without wearing the mask and squeezed closed one of the face tubes. The hissing air sound got way quieter, which I guess makes sense because a smaller volume of space needs less air to create the same air pressure as a larger space.

If it's relevant, after using the Dreamwear I did wake up with a mild headache that has lasted all day. That's what got me concerned that I'm doing something wrong with this mask. Thank you for any and all help!

ChicagoGranny

Re: Dreamwear PR mask

Post by ChicagoGranny » Wed Feb 07, 2024 6:53 pm

The manufacturer tested this design with one side completely closed before putting it on the market.

Oh wait, the manufacturer is Philips, so ...

SleepGeek

Post by SleepGeek » Wed Feb 07, 2024 7:18 pm

altrout wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2024 6:07 pm
I did wake up with a mild headache that has lasted all day. That's what got me concerned
I would also be concerned. Hopefully your cpap has data and you are using OSCAR to check you data each morning.

IMHO it sounds as if you had some events thru the nite which caused your headache. Can you post your OSCAR chart?

viewtopic/t183806/Attachment-storage-is ... MENTS.html
Happiness is being on Dog Slobber pr & zonkers foe list
CrankyGranny is Whale Road + many other ids
They are here to help.
zonkers + palerider aka GrumpyHere wrote: What exactly do you think you're adding to this thread?

altrout

Post by altrout » Wed Feb 07, 2024 8:06 pm

The mask is Philips but the machine is ResMed, but I'll look into the recall!!

I just got a SD card today, so I'll have data starting tonight. So far I just put the card in but nothing else. I still have to figure out OSCAR but at least the data is being stored. I can try to get OSCAR going soon

zonker

Post by zonker » Wed Feb 07, 2024 9:25 pm

altrout wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2024 8:06 pm

I just got a SD card today, so I'll have data starting tonight.
you probably already know this, but be sure that sd card is unlocked when you put it into your machine.

good luck and welcome to the zoo!
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg

bwexler

Post by bwexler » Wed Feb 07, 2024 10:03 pm

Which model of Resmed do you have? They have made dozens of machines over the years.
I f I had my machine or my wife's machine set at a fixed pressure of 6, We would feel like we were suffocating.
Look at your data in the morning to see what's going on. Then decide who will control your therapy, you, your respiratory therapist, or your MD.
Not many of us here are doctors or RTs, but there are many experienced users who can and will give you valuable advice. I haven't seen a sleep doctor in 4 or 6 years. My last 2 visits I only saw their PAs..

I check my own data with Oscar and adjust our settings, often with suggestions from the folks here.

RogerSC

Post by RogerSC » Thu Feb 08, 2024 3:16 am

I used the Dreamwear nasal mask for a couple of years, and am a side sleeper. I had no problems with it, it worked well for me. No headaches or problems with the air supply as a side sleeper, and my leak numbers were pretty good due to the flexibility of it, flexing with my moving around and staying engaged with my nose as a result. I eventually moved to the AirFit N30 (another nasal cradle mask) to get a lighter, quieter mask without that jet of air coming off the front of the Dreamwear mask. Took a bit longer to get the leaks down on the N30, but now that I have, I've stayed with it. Might go back to the Dreamwear style mask at some point, but probably to the AirFit N30i, due to the diffused, quieter venting off the nasal cradle piece.
Last edited by RogerSC on Mon Feb 12, 2024 3:10 am, edited 2 times in total.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Thu Feb 08, 2024 11:57 am

altrout wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2024 8:06 pm
The mask is Philips but the machine is ResMed, but I'll look into the recall!!
Philips masks have not been recalled. ResMed machines have not been recalled.

Only Philips machines have been recalled.

Janknitz

Post by Janknitz » Thu Feb 08, 2024 12:59 pm

I've been using the DreamWear mask for several years with no issues.
If it wasn't delivering the proper pressure, you would see it in an increased AHI. You can check that on the machine without even accessing the data on the card. Mine is regularly between 0.2 and 0.3, so the treatment is fine with a DreamWear mask.
What you need to know before you meet your DME http://tinyurl.com/2arffqx
Taming the Mirage Quattro http://tinyurl.com/2ft3lh8
Swift FX Fitting Guide http://tinyurl.com/22ur9ts
Don't Pay that Upcharge! http://tinyurl.com/2ck48rm

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Fri Feb 09, 2024 12:30 am

The cross-section of one tube is much larger than the cross-section of both nostrils.
Unless your nose is really, REALLY BIG!
:lol:

altrout

Post by altrout » Sat Feb 10, 2024 6:21 pm

Sorry for the delay! Here are my graphs for the past 3 nights. I'm using oscar for the first time ever, please let me know if I did anything wrong. Thank you everyone who responded!

https://imgur.com/a/jzJpjTl
https://imgur.com/a/9vldI8P
https://imgur.com/a/lBTx9ji

I saw in the guide that I should have locked the SD card before I put it in my computer. I didn't see this in time, though, so I left it unlocked. I have Windows 10. How do I know if there are hidden files and is there anything I can do now?

About the mask. The company that provides the cpap called yesterday and I told them my issue with one tube always being compressed when I lay on my side. The employee told me this should not happen. She said it would not change the pressure but it would put more pressure on one nostril. She recommended I keep using this mask because she could see on the data that I was not having leaks. So I'm still unsure what to do, since I'm technically not using the mask as it's intended (since one side tube is always compressed). I'm unclear if using it this way means I might not get any benefit from it, or if it's still working well enough (even with the tube compressed) that I should keep trying.
bwexler wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2024 10:03 pm
Which model of Resmed do you have? They have made dozens of machines over the years.
I f I had my machine or my wife's machine set at a fixed pressure of 6, We would feel like we were suffocating.
I have the Airsense 10 Autoset. It came preset with the pressure at 6, which is what my doc prescribed. The doctor told me the pressure was based on bodyweight. I did a titration study, but unfortunately only slept 90 minutes. So I don't really know why he prescribed the pressure at 6.

Thank you again to everyone for your help!

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sat Feb 10, 2024 6:40 pm

altrout wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2024 6:21 pm
I have the Airsense 10 Autoset. It came preset with the pressure at 6, which is what my doc prescribed. The doctor told me the pressure was based on bodyweight. I did a titration study, but unfortunately only slept 90 minutes. So I don't really know why he prescribed the pressure at 6.
He picked a number out of his butt. Pressure needs aren't based on body weight at all.
altrout wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2024 6:21 pm
I saw in the guide that I should have locked the SD card before I put it in my computer. I didn't see this in time, though, so I left it unlocked. I have Windows 10. How do I know if there are hidden files and is there anything I can do now?
The hidden files from Windows are on that SD card but your Airsense 10 machine simply doesn't care.
That warning really only applies to the ResMed S9 series of machines. All other brands or models don't care about the hidden text files.

So no worries there. I never lock my SD card.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sat Feb 10, 2024 6:47 pm

I looked at your 3 reports you shared.
The flow limitation graph is fairly active.
Are you experiencing any nasal congestion at all at night?? If not...I would suggest starting by adding in EPR.

If you are experiencing some nasal congestion then that might explain the FLs but you need to work on the congestion using the usual methods because more pressure won't help nasal congestion. Usual methods would be oral meds or nasal rinses or whatever helps reduce congestion.

Are you comfortable with making changes on your own? Or do you prefer the doctor, who gets ideas out of his butt, make changes though I doubt he has any useful ideas since he doesn't know his ass from a hole in the ground.

Also....always, always when you share a report please include a brief subjective statement about how you feel you slept or feel the next day.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

bwexler

Post by bwexler » Sat Feb 10, 2024 7:53 pm

Pugsy you were so kind to the doctor. I tried to tiptoe around many sleep doctors likely qualifications. You stated my opinion more clearly.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sat Feb 10, 2024 8:04 pm

bwexler wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2024 7:53 pm
Pugsy you were so kind to the doctor. I tried to tiptoe around many sleep doctors likely qualifications. You stated my opinion more clearly.

Well.....what I really thought wasn't G rated....it was X rated.. :lol: :lol:
I toned it down a bit.