Kaiser changes machine settings

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
robert-tim

Kaiser changes machine settings

Post by robert-tim » Wed Feb 07, 2024 7:12 pm

I purchased an Aircurve 10 Vauto from a private party this summer, and used the pressure settings recommended by a member of this forum, with good results. On Feb 5 I brought the machine to Kaiser HMO so they could register it with their system, and the pressure settings were modified for CPAP mode. I have used it for two nights since this adjustment, and although the results are satisfactory they might not be as good as with the settings I had been using previously.

When the doctor prescribed the settings, long before I purchased the BPAP, he may have assumed that CPAP settings would be needed because insurance does not usually cover the more expensive device that I purchased later. Or perhaps he really thought that the settings that he prescribed would be better. In any case, I have a phone appointment about a month for now, and will bring up this issue if the new settings do not provide results as good as the previous ones. I wonder how often a BPAP setting would be better for a patient, but is not recommended because it is assumed that the patient will be using a CPAP?

OSCAR

SleepGeek

Re: Kaiser changes machine settings

Post by SleepGeek » Wed Feb 07, 2024 9:11 pm

robert-tim wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2024 7:12 pm
On Feb 5 I brought the machine to Kaiser HMO so they could register it with their system,
Let me ask the obvious question - why would you do this?

IF you bought and paid for it, why?
Happiness is being on Dog Slobber pr & zonkers foe list
CrankyGranny is Whale Road + many other ids
They are here to help.
zonkers + palerider aka GrumpyHere wrote: What exactly do you think you're adding to this thread?

robert-tim

Post by robert-tim » Wed Feb 07, 2024 10:20 pm

It didn't occur to me that the doctor's recommendations might depend on whether the patient could choose any machine they wanted, instead of being limited to the settings available on a standard CPAP provided by insurance. But it occurs to me now, and I think I'll go through my medical record to find out who that doctor was and contact him.

OSCAR

ozij

Post by ozij » Wed Feb 07, 2024 10:43 pm

SleepGeek wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2024 9:11 pm

Some people need to have their usage proven in order to drive, for example.

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Good advice is compromised by missing data
Forum member Dog Slobber Nov. 2023

babydinosnoreless

Post by babydinosnoreless » Thu Feb 08, 2024 9:15 am

I'd put it in airplane mode so Kaiser can't mess with it and change the settings back to what you want them to be.

bwexler

Post by bwexler » Thu Feb 08, 2024 2:15 pm

The last time a sleep doctor recommended a change to my settings I tried his recommendation for MAYBE A HALF HOUR.
Then I made an adjustment to the opposite of his. That worked much better.

My experience is most sleep doctors either don't know how to view detailed data beyond what is displayed on the machines screen. or they just don't bother.
Most of them do not use PAP themselves, and don't really understand what we experience.

I paid out of pocket for may last 2 ASV machines, so I make the final decision on what my settings will be.

MikeekiM

Post by MikeekiM » Thu Feb 08, 2024 4:27 pm

My AirSense 11 was purchased through Kaiser Permanente and every manual change I have made has never been challenged or changed back by my sleep therapist, or anyone else at Kaiser. I would actually be quite upset if they changed things without notifying me.

At the very least, if they saw something that concerned them, they should message me from within the KP website messaging system and let me know their concerns along with the changes they suggest. And they can certainly offer to make those changes on my behalf, but only if I agree/approve. Only I know how my body reacts to these changes, and they should not be making any changes without my knowledge.

zonker

Post by zonker » Thu Feb 08, 2024 5:34 pm

ozij wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2024 10:43 pm
SleepGeek wrote:

huh? i don't understand that. could you try again?
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg

bwexler

Post by bwexler » Thu Feb 08, 2024 6:32 pm

If you drive a commercial vehicle like an over the road truck or bus that requires a commercial drivers license, the licensing authority may require a sleep study and if you are shown to have apnea they may require proof of compliance with your therapy.

SleepGeek

Post by SleepGeek » Thu Feb 08, 2024 7:53 pm

ozij wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2024 10:43 pm
SleepGeek wrote:
robert-tim wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2024 7:12 pm
On Feb 5 I brought the machine to Kaiser HMO so they could register it with their system,
Let me ask the obvious question - why would you do this?

My thought is/was IF it was required for driving that Kaiser would have issued it and the patient wouldn't need to self-pay for it.

The OP answered the question - why.
bwexler wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2024 6:32 pm
If you drive a commercial vehicle like an over the road truck or bus that requires a commercial drivers license, the licensing authority may require a sleep study and if you are shown to have apnea they may require proof of compliance with your therapy.
They are here to help.
zonkers + palerider aka GrumpyHere wrote: What exactly do you think you're adding to this thread?

zonker

Post by zonker » Thu Feb 08, 2024 9:40 pm

SleepGeek wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2024 7:53 pm

bwexler wrote:
bwexler wasn't the original poster.
Oscar-Win
Oscar-Mac

SleepGeek

Post by SleepGeek » Thu Feb 08, 2024 9:48 pm

zonker wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2024 9:40 pm
SleepGeek wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2024 7:53 pm

bwexler wrote:
bwexler wasn't the original poster.
o ty
who said he was?
They are here to help.

zonker

Post by zonker » Thu Feb 08, 2024 10:45 pm

SleepGeek wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2024 9:48 pm

o ty
who said he was?
oh, i see. you just quoted bwexler for no reason.

cool, cool.
Last edited by zonker on Fri Feb 09, 2024 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Oscar-Win
Oscar-Mac

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Fri Feb 09, 2024 12:20 am

I just checked robert-tim's age; and I would not assume he is a driver--
But I could be wrong. (Horrors!)
In any case, if my settings get changed, I will not hesitate to tear somebody a new one.
So tear away, Robert!

Janknitz

Post by Janknitz » Fri Feb 09, 2024 4:15 pm

It didn't occur to me that the doctor's recommendations might depend on whether the patient could choose any machine they wanted, instead of being limited to the settings available on a standard CPAP provided by insurance. But it occurs to me now, and I think I'll go through my medical record to find out who that doctor was and contact him.
Baloney. But you did allow Kaiser access so they could work WITH you to optimize the treatment. And some tech (you didn't ever see the doctor, I'll bet) recommended those settings to the doctor because they think it's best for you, or it's a standard in that clinic. Nevertheless YOU are in charge of YOUR therapy with your machine. If that setting's not working for you, YOU can change it. And since they are not being collaborative with you, you have no obligation to be collaborative with them, unless your settings aren't working for you either.

I agree with the plan to put your machine in Airplane mode. Offer to bring them the card if you have any followup appointments so they can see the efficacy of your treatment and make suggestions (not mandates) if they feel it can be improved.
My thought is/was IF it was required for driving that Kaiser would have issued it and the patient wouldn't need to self-pay for it.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Obviously you do not live on Planet Kaiser. Kaiser pay for it just because it is required for a commercial license? That's funny!
As far as compliance for a commercial driving license, do they look at usage or efficacy? And if they looked at efficacy and it's effective within particular parameters, does it matter if it's not what the doctor prescribed? I don't know the answers to those questions. And yes, I understand OP is not a commercial driver. Just curious.
What you need to know before you meet your DME http://tinyurl.com/2arffqx
Taming the Mirage Quattro http://tinyurl.com/2ft3lh8
Swift FX Fitting Guide http://tinyurl.com/22ur9ts
Don't Pay that Upcharge! http://tinyurl.com/2ck48rm