A question to those who have successfully mouthtaped

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Robert17

A question to those who have successfully mouthtaped

Post by Robert17 » Mon Mar 04, 2024 2:24 pm

Why am I waking up with a dried out mouth, sticky with saliva?

I recently started with cover roll stretch tape (CRST). I've shaved beforehand and used a wide swath across the whole mouth, checking to make sure I can't blow any air out the corners. Upon waking, I've also checked to make sure I couldn't blow any air through or around the tape. I've tried no humidity, up to and including max humidity. The water container is always much lower in the morning than the night before. There doesn't seem to be any correlation with pressure either. I've backed down from 15cm to 12cm, without any change. Any ideas for fixing this?

ChicagoGranny

Re: A question to those who have successfully mouthtaped

Post by ChicagoGranny » Mon Mar 04, 2024 3:20 pm

I have chronic dry mouth possibly caused by prescription medicine. I use an FFM (ResMed F30i) with tape under the mouthpiece. Just before putting on the mask, I place one piece of Trident sugarless gum between my left gum and lower molars. Another piece is placed between my right gum and upper molars. The gum routine works for me.

BTW, if pressure from the CPAP leaks into the mouth, that pressure may be great enough to prevent flow from the salivary glands. :?

vandownbytheriver

Post by vandownbytheriver » Mon Mar 04, 2024 3:37 pm

Robert17 wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2024 2:24 pm

I recently started with cover roll stretch tape (CRST). I've shaved beforehand and used a wide swath across the whole mouth, checking to make sure I can't blow any air out the corners. Upon waking, I've also checked to make sure I couldn't blow any air through or around the tape. I've tried no humidity, up to and including max humidity. The water container is always much lower in the morning than the night before. There doesn't seem to be any correlation with pressure either. I've backed down from 15cm to 12cm, without any change. Any ideas for fixing this?
If your jaw drops and your cheeks balloon you can have air circulating in your mouth. Chin strap or tucking your chin can help here.

How do your leak graphs look?

CG, I used to put a Tums between cheek and gum every night... my dentist asked if I'd started dipping! Evidently it does the same thing... white spot on the gums. Beware!

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Mon Mar 04, 2024 3:47 pm

vandownbytheriver wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2024 3:37 pm
CG, I used to put a Tums between cheek and gum every night... my dentist asked if I'd started dipping! Evidently it does the same thing... white spot on the gums. Beware!
Calcium carbonate in Tums did that. Calcium carbonate can even be used to remove tobacco stains on teeth.

Trident contains no calcium carbonate. My dentist has approved my practice.

Please don't fearmonger.*

*That's my job.

Miss Emerita

Post by Miss Emerita » Mon Mar 04, 2024 8:05 pm

Xylimelts stimulate the production of saliva. They stick to your teeth or gums and are long-acting.
Oscar software is available at https://www.sleepfiles.com/OSCAR/

Robert17

Post by Robert17 » Mon Mar 04, 2024 11:51 pm

vandownbytheriver wrote:
Robert17 wrote:

If your jaw drops and your cheeks balloon you can have air circulating in your mouth. Chin strap or tucking your chin can help here.

If I DON'T wear the CRST, my jaw drops naturally but I don't believe my lips open. When my jaw drops, it actually feels like I'm breathing easier through my nose. The CRST actually keeps my chin up and out, in a fairly uncomfortable position. When I skip the tape, I don't wake up with a dry mouth. For several years, I didn't have any leaks to speak of, but I also was using a lower pressure APAP. Recently I am trying a higher pressure CPAP, and leaks are periodic. I was confused for a bit when I started the taping, because OSCAR would show lots of leaks, when I knew that the tape was on good all night. I believe that at some point I reverted back to original Dreamware headgear(from the type with the plastic pieces), and it has been slipping off my head. The newer one arrives tomorrow, and I will check the leaks after implementing it.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Wed Mar 06, 2024 7:58 pm

Does Trident contain xylitol?
I hear that's why xylimelts work.
If so, Trident could be an alternative to xylimelts.
Thank you, Granny, for sharing.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Thu Mar 07, 2024 7:07 am

ITRIDENT NGREDIENTS: SORBITOL, GUM BASE, XYLITOL, GLYCERIN, NATURAL AND ARTIFICIAL FLAVOR; LESS THAN 2% OF: ACESULFAME POTASSIUM, ASPARTAME, BHT (TO MAINTAIN FRESHNESS), MANNITOL, SOY LECITHIN, SUCRALOSE. PHENYLKETONURICS: CONTAINS PHENYLALANINE. CONTAINS: SOY.

Robert17

Post by Robert17 » Fri Mar 08, 2024 9:57 am

vandownbytheriver wrote:
Robert17 wrote:

Okay, I got the new headpiece for my Dreamware. Last night I mouth taped with it for the first time and my graphs show zero leaks, so yay! Now, I have to get my inhalation curves rounded out, as they are pretty truncated.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Mon Mar 11, 2024 6:24 pm

Robert17 wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2024 9:57 am
Now, I have to get my inhalation curves rounded out
If you decide you need help, links to instructions on how to post a chart in this thread are in my signature.

clownbell

Post by clownbell » Sun Mar 17, 2024 6:22 pm

The cover roll tape works for me but takes a layer off my skin when removing in the morning. Does anyone have suggestions for making removal less painful? Thanks to all.
ResMed AirSense 10 Autoset with built in humidifier
Resmed P10 pillow mask

ozij

Post by ozij » Sun Mar 17, 2024 6:38 pm

clownbell wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2024 6:22 pm
The cover roll tape works for me but takes a layer off my skin when removing in the morning. Does anyone have suggestions for making removal less painful? Thanks to all.
Wet it with warm water.

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Good advice is compromised by missing data
Forum member Dog Slobber Nov. 2023

vandownbytheriver

Post by vandownbytheriver » Sun Mar 17, 2024 7:44 pm

ozij wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2024 6:38 pm
clownbell wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2024 6:22 pm
Wet it with warm water.
I've started putting chapstick on my lips before applying CRST... this helps a lot, my lips were starting to complain (even though I do tuck them in) after three months of mouth-taping. Almost time to buy another 13$ worth.

ozij

Post by ozij » Sun Mar 17, 2024 11:12 pm

I always use chapstick.
That didn't keep CRT from removing a layer of skin from around my lips.
My best solution now is the silicone backed tapes, Medvance or 3M. More expensive, but worth the comfort.

Back when I was using 3M Micropore Paper tape, I would need baby oil - and patience - to remove it.

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Good advice is compromised by missing data
Forum member Dog Slobber Nov. 2023

MikeekiM

Post by MikeekiM » Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:18 am

I successfully use the cover-roll tape without any issues.

I use a chapstick generously before taping my mouth. I also purse my lips tightly (opposite of puckering) before applying the tape, so my lips are not touching the adhesive.

In the morning, I slowly peel it off without any issues. I use the backside of the tape to wipe off the excess chapstick buildup from the night before tossing it in the trash.