Resmed Swift II .. anyone using this?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
spelchek

Resmed Swift II .. anyone using this?

Post by spelchek » Tue May 29, 2007 7:46 pm

Hi all,

Just got a letter from my CPAP supplier advertising the new Resmed Swift II. They state that this mask features:
- New Improved quieter swift
- Less draft for partner
- Better tube design

I am wondering if anyone has upgraded from their original swift to this new one.. and if the claims of the manufacturer are indeed true.

Thanks in advance![/list]

cpapnewby

Post by cpapnewby » Tue May 29, 2007 7:56 pm

There are a lot of relevant posts about swift II vs swift on this thread:

viewtopic.php?t=20183&highlight=

Jim

RosemaryB

Post by RosemaryB » Tue May 29, 2007 7:58 pm

I only had the Swift I for a short time when I saw there was an upgrade kit for the Swift II. It is definitely quieter at my pressure 7-8.5. It also exhausts in a better way, though I don't sleep with a partner.

I did read on post here where the poster liked the Swift I better, but the discussion was a bit techical, about CO2 and I didn't understand it fully.

Thread on how I overcame aerophagia
http://www.cpaptalk.com/viewtopic/t3383 ... hagia.html

Thread on my TAP III experience
http://www.cpaptalk.com/viewtopic/t3705 ... ges--.html

GoofyUT

Swift -v- Swift II

Post by GoofyUT » Tue May 29, 2007 9:42 pm

That boring technical post was from me. After using the Swift successfully for a year, I recently tried to switch to the new Swift II. I found that the pillows on the Swift II were very slightly reconfigured with a slightly wider perch that resulted in my experiencing frequent leaks throughout the night. Though I believe that it was these leaks that awakened me throughout the night (as opposed to a solid 8 hours sleep with the original Swift), I also found the Swift II to be very slightly more difficult to breathe out against. I remain curious as to whether the reconfigured exhaust on the Swift II, its MAIN design change intended to make it more quiet and suitable for use when sleeping with a bed partner, also affected the way that the mask vented Carbon dioxide. Carbon Dioxide levels affect triggers which cause the body to initiate a breath (capnic triggers). I can't say whether this is the case or not, but I did sleeply less soundly with the Swift II after a ten day trial, and so I abandoned it and have switched back to the original Swift (thanks to my conscientious DME) and once again, I am sleeping soundly.

However, this is my experience alone. Yours may be different.

Hope this helps.

Chuck

People are dying every day in Darfur simply for who they are!!! PLEASE HELP THEM!
http://www.savedarfur.org

gknee

Post by gknee » Tue May 29, 2007 10:15 pm

I was given a Swift II mask to try over the weekend and find it to be much louder than the original Swift. Not sure why since it's supposed to be quieter. It might be because I have a small nose and the size Small is larger on the new mask compared to the old. I don't know. I'm feeling a bit discouraged with trying to find the right mask. They all seem to leak, are noisy, headgear doesn't fit properly, aren't small enough, etc.