Leaving the hose

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Tue Jun 12, 2007 9:22 am

ehusen wrote:Yeesh, guys. Lighten up a bit on the "You must use CPAP or die tomorrow" statements. Yes, I understand that sleep apnea is a serious condition and potentially life threatening. But the guy said he has an AHI of 15. That's not exactly "severe". We don't know about what his desaturations were, which I think are far more important a factor.
We and he also don't know what the limitations of his ticker are. You never know how far you can streach a rubberband until after it breaks. Jim

Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

TLD

Post by TLD » Tue Jun 12, 2007 3:21 pm

I am deeply greatful to everyone who took the time to write a response in an effort to help me. It is MUCH appreciated....although some of the "tough love" types of comments were indeed very tough.

I went to my regular doctor yesterday and told him my situation and my intention to stop CPAP. He seemed mostly concerned about the palpitations and is sending me to a cardiologist for a Halter monitor test. Regarding stopping CPAP, he said, "I have no problem with you stopping until you can talk to your sleep doctor about it". I have an appointment with the sleep doc in two weeks.

So, as many of you have suggested, I am getting the doctors involved with this decision of mine. I'll keep you posted.

TLD

wabmorgan

Post by wabmorgan » Tue Jun 12, 2007 7:51 pm

Glad to hear you are getting medical advice. Keep us posted. I think even the TOUGH LOVE comments were exactly that. Bare in mind, they care, or they would have not posted at all.

ddpelp

Post by ddpelp » Tue Jun 12, 2007 8:08 pm

TLD

OK several threads have mentioned folks stating their opinion.. Which I am going to do and I hope I am right.

I think the simple fact that you bothered to even start this thread IS a step in the right direction... I think you know it is not the best decision to stop your CPAP treatment otherwise you would of just stopped it and never bothered to mention it to this group as you had to know the response you would receive .

Your last post indicates you have taken some great steps.. you need to do that.. I though would add I would stay ON the CPAP until you see your sleep doctor.. a little safer then reversing that.. I think

anyway, good luck.. all the studies seem to indicate lack of treating OSA is very hard on your body in many deferent and sometimes irreversible ways..

ehusen

Post by ehusen » Wed Jun 13, 2007 12:08 pm

[/quote]

We and he also don't know what the limitations of his ticker are. You never know how far you can streach a rubberband until after it breaks. Jim
[/quote]

You are absolutely right, of course. I'm just saying we don't know all the details. I was just a little put off by all the extreme statements put out in the thread. And the fact is there are many things we all do that are potentially life threatening. And those things are often ignored.

CPAP is not the panacea that will save your life in every situation. It treats only one aspect of your health, albeit an important factor. And, sadly, in many cases the treatment can be worse than the cure. I sometimes feel that CPAP is over prescribed. (That's just a personal opinion, admittedly not based on anything but observation).

Okay, now let me backpeddle. If the OP is having significant desats and heart issues then yes, he'd better stay on CPAP if at all possible.

As an aside and fairly off-topic. I finally decided to pony up the cash for an SP7500. My original sleep study was just not very conclusive to me (only about 40 minutes of sleep on my back, but with a huge amount of apneas in that time). So yes I will be "taking my life in my own hands" and going a night without CPAP to measure what happens for myself. I'll let you all know what happened.

Snoredog

Post by Snoredog » Wed Jun 13, 2007 12:31 pm

ehusen wrote: We and he also don't know what the limitations of his ticker are. You never know how far you can streach a rubberband until after it breaks. Jim
You are absolutely right, of course. I'm just saying we don't know all the details. I was just a little put off by all the extreme statements put out in the thread. And the fact is there are many things we all do that are potentially life threatening. And those things are often ignored.

CPAP is not the panacea that will save your life in every situation. It treats only one aspect of your health, albeit an important factor. And, sadly, in many cases the treatment can be worse than the cure. I sometimes feel that CPAP is over prescribed. (That's just a personal opinion, admittedly not based on anything but observation).

Okay, now let me backpeddle. If the OP is having significant desats and heart issues then yes, he'd better stay on CPAP if at all possible.

As an aside and fairly off-topic. I finally decided to pony up the cash for an SP7500. My original sleep study was just not very conclusive to me (only about 40 minutes of sleep on my back, but with a huge amount of apneas in that time). So yes I will be "taking my life in my own hands" and going a night without CPAP to measure what happens for myself. I'll let you all know what happened.
heart palpations when first starting out on this therapy is fairly common finding. Anxiety can cause them, but if they don't go away in a few days you need to have it checked out.

But if those are truly representative of a heart condition, a few days or even hours delay can be too long. When ever it comes to your heart you NEVER want to be guessing as to what the cause is and hope it goes away. You are always better off getting it checked out by a licensed doctor.

His/Her GP should be able to rule that out pretty easy with a simple EKG in their office. While many GP's can read the results, some are modemed to an outside vendor where they render the results. At least my GP does.

You should especially see your sleep doctor if while on cpap you feel very uneasy, that seems to me to mean there is some kind of distress being added from the therapy and should be checked out.

someday science will catch up to what I'm saying...

ddpelp

Post by ddpelp » Wed Jun 13, 2007 12:44 pm

I totally agree with snoredog here.. a few years ago I had servere acid re-flux problem but gave similar feelings of chest pain. I had a particually bad morning once and called my doctor he had me head to ER at local hospital. They entered me at his request and kinda worried me I was entered as a possible heart attack. They did a bunch of heart tests etc.. all in that area was fine.

When the doctor came to see me that evening I said why did you enter me as possible heart attack? His response.. Better to rule out heart attack and assure it was/is acid reflux then to reverse that and find out too late it was a heart attack.. Said symtoms are very very similar..

Humm guess he was right .One thing I did learn.. you sure get MUCH faster attention if they think you are having a heart attack.. not much waiting room time

ehusen

Post by ehusen » Thu Jun 14, 2007 12:18 pm

Yeah, I hear you. Heck all this apnea stuff for me started with a weird EKG at the doctor's office, then tests, then stess tests, then words like "you might have had a heart attack..." but they weren't sure. Then the sleep test, CPAP, etc.

But, honestly, if I went to the ER everytime I had heartburn/mild anxiety I would be in their every other week. I really do understand the "better safe than sorry" approach but there are boundaries. SO I choose to look for something a bit more than just "mild chest discomfort" before I run to the ER. These are resources you are using up by doing this. And ERs are often stretched to the limit so "just going to be safe all the time" is not exactly a zero impact issue.

Yes, I go to the doctor regularly and I monitor my BP and cholesterol regularly. Right now everything is fine.

I try to look for a few multiple symptoms beyond just some angina. Shortness of breath, numb arms/fingers, spot pains that move. You get a couple of those togethor and it's time to head to the ER.

oceanpearl

Post by oceanpearl » Thu Jun 14, 2007 12:30 pm

ehusen wrote:
[/quote]

I just want to go back to sleep!