snoring with cpap

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
chriml

snoring with cpap

Post by chriml » Wed Jun 13, 2007 10:50 am

I started cpap machine last friday. I am still very tired but I said let me give it time. My husband says I am still snoring with the machine on when Im on my back. I cant believe it. this machine was my only hope. Do you think I should give it more time? Is this normal? I cant purchase another machine because I had to pay for this one out of pocket. I hate being tired and cranky everyday. Whats the use?????

Goofproof

Re: snoring with cpap

Post by Goofproof » Wed Jun 13, 2007 11:09 am

chriml wrote:I started cpap machine last friday. I am still very tired but I said let me give it time. My husband says I am still snoring with the machine on when Im on my back. I can't believe it. this machine was my only hope. Do you think I should give it more time? Is this normal? I cant purchase another machine because I had to pay for this one out of pocket. I hate being tired and cranky everyday. Whats the use?????
The idea of XPAP treatment isn't to stop snoring, It's to allow you to sleep well and breath well during sleep.

You need to fill in your equiptment profile at top of page, and let up know the pressures you use and how you use them.

I hope when you got your equiptment you got one that could use software to read the data so you can help your treatment. Sleeping on your back is the worst position to sleep in if you have Apnea, it make your apnea worse.

Also I'm going to make a WAG, that you use a nasal mask, and don't tape your mouth or seal it shut. With a nasal mask it's possible to mouthbreath, in doing that you could be losing the pressure needed to hold your airway open while asleep. That basically means treatment isn't doing the good it could. Let us know what's up. Jim

Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

oceanpearl

Post by oceanpearl » Wed Jun 13, 2007 11:21 am

During my last sleep study my oxygen levels never dropped below 95% except when I was on my back. Since I never sleep on my back, this was no problem. The only reason for being on my back was that the tech woke me up and asked that I roll over on my back and sleep for a while.
If this is the only time you are snoring, I would suggest that you sew a tennis ball into the back of your oajama's.
I just want to go back to sleep!

ehusen

Post by ehusen » Wed Jun 13, 2007 12:13 pm

This just my own experience. But I snored light a freight train before CPAP. My wife suffered for many years with ear plugs. Once I was on CPAP, I simply don't snore at all or very softly. So for me, snoring was completely eliminated. What Jim said is very true. I had to tape my mouth shut to prevent mouth leaks.

Even if I could go off of CPAP now, I really can't since my wife could no longer sleep again.