Aussie Heated Hose Problem

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
sirrom

Aussie Heated Hose Problem

Post by sirrom » Tue Jul 03, 2007 7:21 am

I have been using the heated hose for the past two years with great success but last week on a camping vacation with my family I started to get massive rain out. We were tent camping and a few nights got quite cold so I figured that was the problem but now that I am home I am still having some problems.

For those folks that use the heated hose, how long has yours lasted? Has anyone had theirs stop working and how long did it last?

I am trying to figure out if it is the heating element in the tube or perhaps the AC adapter I use with it.

I am hoping it is the adapter which won't hurt the pocket book quite as much.

Thanks for any help.

Snoozing Gonzo

Post by Snoozing Gonzo » Tue Jul 03, 2007 10:42 am

I am not as good a searcher as others here but there have been a couple of series of posts regarding heated hose problem diagnoses. Those go as far as checking resistance, etc. Unless there is a break in the wire element in the hose, which seems to be rare, the problem is probably in the plug or transformer.

I would say to first plug it in and put it under a pillow or in a bag for a bit then feel it to see if its on at all. Then I would check your plug on the hose. If the center post doesn't firmly touch the inside of the transformer's plug barrel, you'll have a problem like you're describing. The solution is to carefully bend the post slightly so it pushes against the interior of the other plug. This seems to be a re-occurring problem for me if I am on the road and unplugging often.

Next check the transformer. The one that came with my hose failed after a few months. Radio Shack is a good source for a replacement (takes the Radio Shack "M" plug). Check the hose website or search here for other specs.

From other posts it seems the vendor is helpful and quite good at responding to emailed questions.

Good Luck

Chris

"Breathe deep. Seek peace."
(James Gurney, Dinotopia)

oldgearhead

Post by oldgearhead » Tue Jul 03, 2007 11:47 am

Put it under the covers for about an hour. If it feels warm to the touch,
it's probably working fine. If not, have someone with a DC voltmeter
check out the power brick.

If it seems to be working, try covering it with one of those fleece hose covers. I keep mine covered.

People have more fun than anybody..

TerryB

Post by TerryB » Tue Jul 03, 2007 11:56 am

I'm at 17 months with mine, but the original power supply died about 3 months in.

TerryB

It is unlikely to be the hose, it's too simple.

Lee Lee

Post by Lee Lee » Tue Jul 03, 2007 3:11 pm

Email the Aussie Heated Hose folks. They are absolutley wonderful with their customer service. They can troubleshoot for you.

sirrom

Post by sirrom » Wed Jul 04, 2007 7:58 am

Thank you very much for the replies. I did notice while we were camping that if I kept the hose under the covers, all tucked in, that the rain out was not as bad.

I do have the Radio Shack power supply. I am not sure of the model number but it allows you to switch voltage levels. It has 9v, 10.2v, 11v, and 12v settings. Does anyone have that one and if so what voltage is it set at? I'm not sure but I think it may have been accidently changed during our travels but I don't remember what it was originally set at.

Again, thank you so much for the help. It is nice to have a forum like this where you can ask for help from other apnea sufferers who understand the issues we face.

Drew

ozij

Post by ozij » Wed Jul 04, 2007 8:07 am

1 amp 12 volt.

If the power supply is functioning, and the hose is put under a cover it will feel warm to the touch after about an hour or so.

With the voltage lower, the hose heats less.

O.

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Good advice is compromised by missing data
Forum member Dog Slobber Nov. 2023

sirrom

Post by sirrom » Wed Jul 04, 2007 8:20 am

O

Thanks.... I have it heating up (I hope) right now.