Can you recommend a nasal pillow?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
apple

Can you recommend a nasal pillow?

Post by apple » Wed Aug 29, 2007 11:06 pm

Can you recommend a Nasal Pillow, please!

I'm sure this has been asked a hundred times but I'm new and need help.

cpapernewbie

Post by cpapernewbie » Wed Aug 29, 2007 11:32 pm

My Favorite now, after a struglle of 3 months: SWIFT II with chinstrap and travel pillow - sleeping in a futon sofa

Additional Comments: CPAP history: dumb tank, auto, PR M, PR System 1, PR BIPAP, PR System 1 model 60, Resmed S9, Resmed S10, Dreamstation

jpd23

Post by jpd23 » Thu Aug 30, 2007 12:17 am

I love my ComfortLite 2 Nasal Interface. I use the nasal pillows and it is great for back sleeping and once you get it dialed in with the straps you can pull off side sleeping. (less can be more with mask strap tension(especially top strap)) I use Ayr nasal gel to reduce abrasion on my nares and also to get a good seal. Most nights my average leak rate is really close to perfect. I have my AHI to under 2 always and under 1 regularly.

The headgear is comfortable and doesn't leave marks on my forehead. The CL2 has easy positive numbered adjustment points which make it easy to slowly dial in angle, height etc.

I can't get a good seal with the simple cushion (cup over your entire nose) and when you buy it you get to pick 2 out of 3 of the interfaces so I haven't tried the direct seal (nasal cushion).

Biggest thing for me in attaining good night sleep besides this mask is getting heated hose to prevent rain out

good luck

blarg

Post by blarg » Thu Aug 30, 2007 4:06 am

Twilight NP for tummy sleepers. 'nuff said.
I'm a programmer Jim, not a doctor!

oldgearhead

Post by oldgearhead » Thu Aug 30, 2007 7:21 am

I like my CL2 for those nights when I'm sick and tired of the
Hybrid...

People have more fun than anybody..

TWolf

Post by TWolf » Thu Aug 30, 2007 7:39 am

I'm afraid you're going to get so many different answers that it may not help you decide . Stick with it though and try'em all. There are lots of knowedgeable folks here who will do everything they can to help you.

I use the Breeze and do really well with it. I am mostly a side sleeper but I do start out on my back and the hard plastic cradle on the back is a little uncomfortable but it's otherwise pretty forgiving. Occasionally I get a small sore on my nares from the pillows but I think that's possible with any nasal pillow mask. I also tape because my lips leak (sometimes during the day - with words - "Did I say that out loud?!!" )

I had the opprotunity to try the ComfortLite 2 and it just didn't work for me. I had a hard time getting the pillows to seal and I found the headgear too restrictive. It compressed my head and gave me a headache. Just me.

Good luck

http://www.quixotichierophant.blogspot.com

Hurricane

Post by Hurricane » Thu Aug 30, 2007 8:06 am

Swift 11 for me, super quite, easy to put on, wear glasses while on cpap, plus easy cleaning, and 3 size pillows to choose from.
Ed

Sleepdeprived

Re: Can you recommend a nasal pillow?

Post by Sleepdeprived » Thu Aug 30, 2007 4:41 pm

[quote="apple"]Can you recommend a Nasal Pillow, please!

roster

Re: Can you recommend a nasal pillow?

Post by roster » Thu Aug 30, 2007 5:30 pm

[quote="apple"]Can you recommend a Nasal Pillow, please!

I have a vision that we will figure out an easy way to ensure that children develop wide, deep, healthy and attractive jaws and then obstructive sleep apnea becomes an obscure bit of history.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ycw4uaX ... re=related

RosemaryB

Post by RosemaryB » Thu Aug 30, 2007 5:54 pm

I started with the Swift II and it was a pretty good mask. I like the Bravo about the same as the Swift. Both are slightly awkward in different ways for side sleepers.

Lately I've been using the Nasal Aire II and prefer it to either of them. It's a nasal canula type mask (also called a prong, but that sounds more drastic than my experience of it). It took a while to get the right size prong, I use a large, while I use a medium in the Swift and Bravo. It's very stable for side sleeping, no strap marks on my cheeks (Even with padacheeks, I get marks).

I've done some modifications of the Bravo and the NA II to make them more comfortable. Whatever mask you get, it's a good idea to be willing to make a few changes to make it work for you.

Thread on how I overcame aerophagia
http://www.cpaptalk.com/viewtopic/t3383 ... hagia.html

Thread on my TAP III experience
http://www.cpaptalk.com/viewtopic/t3705 ... ges--.html

RAINSUX

Post by RAINSUX » Thu Aug 30, 2007 6:36 pm

Another vote for the Swift II. I like it better than the original Swift. Those are the only masks I have used, but I don't see a reason to change. I use Ayr Gel to improve the seal and comfort.

Sam

CPAP therapy is so easy you can do it in your sleep!

Snoredog

Post by Snoredog » Thu Aug 30, 2007 6:44 pm

I can't, I found them to be more noisy than other interfaces, not any more comfortable, air delivery and CO2 washout characteristics poor.

Conventional nasal interfaces have greater dead space which diffuses the incoming air, their larger size designs means they can put more thought into diffusing the incoming air for more comfortable air delivery and work on ways to quieten them down.
someday science will catch up to what I'm saying...

hotrod53

Post by hotrod53 » Thu Aug 30, 2007 6:49 pm

I recommend against the nasal pillow, I had one, I hated it! The nasal pillow tends to increase the velocity of the air as well as create an air stream rather than just a flow of air as the mask does. I had serious sore throats down the back of my throat even with the humidifier because of these problems. I was ready to give up on my RemMaster, I switched to a mask and life as good! I'm also a toss and turner, that proved to be a problem with the nasal pillow, I was constantly re-adjusting it.

Just my 2 cents, everyone is different.

roster

Post by roster » Thu Aug 30, 2007 7:03 pm

[quote="hotrod53"]I recommend against the nasal pillow, I had one, I hated it! The nasal pillow tends to increase the velocity of the air as well as create an air stream rather than just a flow of air as the mask does. I had serious sore throats down the back of my throat even with the humidifier because of these problems. I was ready to give up on my RemMaster, I switched to a mask and life as good! I'm also a toss and turner, that proved to be a problem with the nasal pillow, I was constantly re-adjusting it.

Just my 2 cents, everyone is different.

I have a vision that we will figure out an easy way to ensure that children develop wide, deep, healthy and attractive jaws and then obstructive sleep apnea becomes an obscure bit of history.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ycw4uaX ... re=related

Bookbear

Post by Bookbear » Thu Aug 30, 2007 7:45 pm

Another vote for the Breeze. I've used it for 15 months now and like it. very light, comfortable (that's relative with any masks, I know), good for side sleeping. As was said above, the hard plastic piece at the back might be a problem for back sleeping, but I start on my back, and a good pillow takes car of any discomfort there.