Nosebleeds from hell (and high BP)

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Dan01

Post by Dan01 » Tue May 17, 2005 1:03 pm

G00fy217 wrote:Dan,

I tried Tilapia a few days ago.... it is really pretty good, doesn't taste "Fishy" either! I am not big on eating fish that taste "fishy", so this was a very good thing! And it didn'y cost too much either.... I bought a large bag of it at Sam's Club and they are individually wrapped, so you don't have a bunch of fish stuck to one another and have to thaw the whole thing out to eat one!

And, as for the two of you! CONSULT with your DOCS before just taking extra meds!!! Just because Mom says it's ok, doesn't make it ok! And just because it was ok for Linda to take the extra 1/2 pill, doesn't mean it is ok for you, Dan! Her meds (and combination of meds) may be very different from yours and may re-act very differently!!! So, CONSULT WITH YOUR DOC FIRST!!!

Sorry, my mom did the same thing as you guys want to do.... and it wasn't good for her... she wound up in the hospital... so, she now has learned her lesson!! DON'T DO IT!!! CALL YOUR DOC!!
I am switching doctors. I will tell the doctor what I did next time I see him.
Last edited by Dan01 on Sat May 21, 2005 1:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

LDuyer

Post by LDuyer » Tue May 17, 2005 2:51 pm

G00fy217 wrote:Oh, and Linda,

Your high BP may be because you worry too much!! That's my mom's problem too! She seems to worry too much about what other people think, that she forgets to just relax and think of herself instead! This causes her blood pressure to go up all the time!! So, I do have to scoll her evey now and again to remind her not to worry about others, just think about yourself!!!

If so and so isn't talking to you..... BIG DEAL!!! They weren't your friend then in the first place! So, the cat missed the litter box, no biggy.... clean it up and go on with your day! So, the mailman is late..... BIG DEAL!!! That's one less bill to look at right now! Etc........ You get what I am telling you? DON'T STRESS OUT ABOUT THE UNIMPORTANT THINGS....... AND DON'T STRESS OUT JUST TO STRESS OUT!!!

Take care!

Now look who's stressing, Goofy!

You can relax about me, Goofy. I'm really alot better. Honest. I've met so many people lately, on this board, on another (different topic), at work and elsewhere, that I've had plenty of fun. Honest! Sure, it's not ALL been fun. I do stress over my job choice, my financial woes, and my stubborn health. But I really don't feel nearly as bad as I have in past months. I still have mood swings. But I figure, these moods are far more preferable to that depressing brain fog I was living through in the several years leading to my OSA treatment. No. I am plenty grateful for the people I've met, personally or by internet, including yourself. I do feel blessed in that department.

So I think my BP problems are due to abusing the meds. And so my BP is fluctuating to beat the band. But it's getting better. The Nurse Practictionor Nazi will be happy, I think.

Don't worry about me. Life can be crappy. But think of the alternative!

Thanks for caring.

Linda

JimH

Post by JimH » Tue May 17, 2005 8:37 pm

Dan,

The more you drink water the more it supposed to flush through. As long as you avoid salty foods. Eat high protein too. Tilapia is akin to a flounder but is thinner. How you cook is important too. don't salt and use as little butter as possible. I like to grill mine. Usually in foil with a little lemon juice and a little margerine. you could also grill swordfish. a bit pricey, but nice as a special treat every once in awhile.

Stick to white meats, chicken, turkey etc. Keep up the excercise and don't eat any food for atleast two hours before you go to sleep.

Ohh and you all better stop self medicating outside of what the doctor prescribes!!! Now thats an order

gecko1977a

Post by gecko1977a » Wed Aug 30, 2006 7:26 am

I was a bad patient yesterday..... I had not taken my BP meds, then i took a cold pill cause my nose was stuffy in the morning..... I get home og out the eat and then to the grocery store.

before we went in i blew my nose and noticed a little bit of blood on the tissue..... well then it started bleeding, and after an hour had yet to stop.

so i had to go to the ER and have them cauterize it. So no cpap for me last night

roadwarrior

Post by roadwarrior » Wed Aug 30, 2006 8:22 am

Do yourself a BIG favor and make an appointment with a good ENT (Ear, Nose and Throat) doctor. Get your problematic sinus "cauterized". I suffered with tremendous nose bleeds most of my life, until back in 1995 my elderly mother dragged me with her to her ENT. The doc took one look up my nose on both sides and knew right away my left sinus had veins closer to the surface and indeed would make me more succeptable to these terrible bleeds. He took a cotton swab with some stuff on it which burned a tad (not bad) and allowed for proper scaring to occur on the site of the exposed veins. I've not had ONE nose bleed since regardless of flu, colds and intense blowing. I highly suggest you get this done and your problem with the bleeding will likely come to an end.
Persistance is Omnipotent

gecko1977a

Post by gecko1977a » Wed Aug 30, 2006 2:25 pm

i had to go back to the ER today, they packed my sinus....... oh god it hurts

jum001

Post by jum001 » Wed Aug 30, 2006 2:53 pm

she basically scorned me and practically called me a hypochondriac.

She implied, strongly, that I must be overeacting and likely causing my own symptoms due to a kind of panic attack.

Linda,
............venting[/quote]

How dare she? You have a genuine medical concern and it is her function to address it. Without patients, she has no job and neither does her employer. Have you considered registering a complaint?

NyNurse33

Post by NyNurse33 » Wed Aug 30, 2006 3:54 pm

Hope your BP is doing better. Just a reminder, don't use vaseline in your nostrils, no matter how dry they get. If that stuff gets into your lungs which it will especially if your using oxygen or a cpap, its not good. Use a water-soluble product, k-y jelly, saline nasal gel, etc.

~Melissa~

The best bridge between despair and hope is a good night's sleep. ~E. Joseph Cossman

gecko1977a

Post by gecko1977a » Thu Aug 31, 2006 3:57 am

I have about 3to 4 tubes of Ayr gel. 1 on the night stand, one in my bag, spare in the house, etc....

funny thing is i had plans tuesday night to use my Sinus Rinse stuff, guess i should have made the time before going out to dinner

gecko1977a

Post by gecko1977a » Sun Oct 29, 2006 8:58 pm

had another big nosebleed today.......

I pinched the nose, put ice on it and used some afrin (vessel constrictor)
it finally stopped, but i am NOT blowing my nose, it can stay stuffy and drip snot (rather than blood)

In addition to my humidifier on my CPAP, which was empty this morning (i have to fill that thing daily), i have to fill it up daily; I bought a cool mist humidifer from wal-mart. I figgure i should use this now that the heat is on and the register is right next to the bed

krousseau

Post by krousseau » Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:26 am

That nurse practitioner did a couple things I question:
She got you worried about your blood pressure then ridiculed you when you called back about your blood pressure. Inexcusable.
She told you the nosebleed was from hypertension-not so.(unless you are in a hypertensive crises-very high BP)
And the idea that you were being protected from a stroke by having the nosebleed-like were you supposed to be letting off pressure via your nose?? NOT SO

One of the most dangerous aspects of high blood pressure is that it has no symptoms until late in the game. Most of the symptoms attributed to HBP are due to co-existing conditions or organ damage caused by uncontrolled HBP. If you do an online search for HBP and nosebleed you will come up with a great number of hits listing HPB as one of the causes of nose bleeds-please look at where they get their info. Here is a reputable source that refutes the idea HBP causes nosebleeds http://www.merck.com/pubs/mmanual_ha/se ... ch43a.html

I'm sure that a lot of people would disagree with me. This is the message I got in nureses training from 1959-1962, when I got a BS in nursing from 1972-1976, when I got a MS in nursing, and when i was doing post masters work. Besides the "books/lectures-I have seen hundreds of people with HBP and never had one with a nosebleed. I have not seen as many people in a hypertensive crises-among the ones I saw there were no nosebleeds. The people I have seen with nosebleeds-even if they had HBP-something else caused the nosebleed.

A frequent cause is a "ruptured" superficial blood vessel in the nose. Drying of the nasal membranes is one of the factors leading to nosebleeds. FOR ME Ayr gel makes my nasal irritation worse so I use neosporin, badger balm, or unpetrolatum---in a THIN flim to the anterior nares (front of the nares) when needed-no thick layers/gobs of the stuff or high in the nose so that it could possibly be inhaled (or melt and drain like post nasal drainage) into lower airways/lungs. And as Melissa said greasy ointments in the lungs can cause a pneumonia that is hard to treat.
Faced with the choice between changing one's mind and proving that there is no need to do so, almost everyone gets busy on the proof.....Galbraith's Law

gecko1977a

Post by gecko1977a » Tue Oct 31, 2006 10:40 am

i did got ot the doctor yesterday, just to be sure that there was nothing wrong.

He said to use the sinus rinse stuff

when i casuall mentioned that i have a humidifier in my room and one on my CPAP he then said that the CPAP was causing it, I advised him that i keep the humidifier almost maxed out. he said to call and make an appointment with the sleep doector

my MD wrote me a Rx for mucinex (which insurance won't pay for cause it is over the countrer, but came from the pharmacists counter), and an antibiotic

did my Dr even listen to aa word i said, why should i go back to the sleep doc cause i am having nosebleeds, when i have clearly stated that i have enough humidity going on.... (though i have had a couple nights where the rainout must have made me take my mask off)

Snoredog

Post by Snoredog » Tue Oct 31, 2006 11:39 am

I disagree with your doctor having had 2 strokes myself, yes uncontrolled hypertension can lead to stroke and failure of your major organs but a bleeding nose is not a pressure relief valve for having too high blood pressure.

and you shouldn't be left with the anxiety of a impending stroke due to nose bleeds.

your nose is inflammed due to some irritant including allergies, the nasal passages are full of blood vessels including the turbinates. if you are dehydrated you don't have the fluids in your system to flush out those irritants, drink more water. I would also consider a good multi-vitamin.

if you are on cpap use more humidity or moisture. Also you won't find a better solution than the saline rhino rinse including the steroid nasal sprays. Neosporin will help if you can get to the bleeding area. But rinsing your nose with the saline wash is the best thing you can do for it, it is why they recommend it after nasal surgery. you can make it yourself it is cheap.

-8oz. pure water.
-1/4 teaspoon of tablesalt
-pinch of Arm & Hammer baking soda

ThunderSnorem

Post by ThunderSnorem » Tue Oct 31, 2006 12:07 pm

Snoredog wrote:... a bleeding nose is not a pressure relief valve for having too high blood pressure.

and you shouldn't be left with the anxiety of a impending stroke due to nose bleeds.

your nose is inflammed due to some irritant including allergies, the nasal passages are full of blood vessels including the turbinates. ...
Quite correct, as is Krousseua. Nasal hemorrhages are rarely caused by HBP.

I've had two procedures to cauterize my nasal passages using silver nitrate. (I had bleeds so bad the first procedure didn't take. lol) I inherited 'nose bleeding' from both my parents, and used to have 3 to 4 (or more) SEVERE bleeds a day, until years ago I tired of the embarassment and constant mess and had it treated. (I mean they were real gushers!) Of course a little blood goes a long way, too, for making a mess.

As always, consult your DR. I do know when I went to the ENT my BP was elevated, more due to white coat syndrome and the nature of experiencing the bleeds. But that was years ago and I've only had the rare bloody nose occasionally, and it was nothing like it used to be.

John