Q: Butter or margarine: which is better when it comes to fat

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
mckooi

Q: Butter or margarine: which is better when it comes to fat

Post by mckooi » Thu Aug 07, 2008 6:23 pm

Hi,

Many of us take fats without understanding the real implication....saturated, unsaturated, trans-fats, etc....what is good and bad for LDL, HDL, vLDL..etc good article for prevention of CVD.

http://www.abc.net.au/health/talkinghea ... 323118.htm

Mckooi

freedive57

fats

Post by freedive57 » Thu Aug 07, 2008 6:36 pm

I use the _Eat Right for Your Type_ diet, which has a list of fats which are better or worse for you depending on your blood type - it works for me.

As I understnad it, cholesterol in the blood doesn't come from cholesterol ion the diet, and fat on your body doesn't come from fat in your diet, they come from eating lots of carbohydrates. Ranchers fatten cattle with grain.

I never use margarine at all, it is made from bubbling hydrogen through oil, which creates something that your body can't break down, and winds up clogging your arteries.

yorkiemum01

Post by yorkiemum01 » Thu Aug 07, 2008 6:51 pm

On this topic.....being a vegetarian, who doesnt consume caffiene, soda, sweets or fast food, I will admit to only using BUTTER, real dairy butter.
I've given up some things, but will not give up butter. LOL

bap40

Post by bap40 » Thu Aug 07, 2008 6:57 pm

I was told by a physician that margarine is the closest thing to eating plastic as one can get!!! As a matter of fact her daughter who is in medical school actually did a paper on the componets of what this stuff is made of....plastic.

That did it for me. I use butter only, even though the price is steeper depending on how much is used. Thank god I don't do a whole lot of baking.

Which would you rather eat? Just the thought of that really bothers me. I know what butter is made of.
Brooke

rubberchimp

Post by rubberchimp » Thu Aug 07, 2008 7:00 pm

Margarine is horrible, synthetic chemical filth... butter is processed cow lactation, but supermarket butter bears only slightly more resemblance to traditional butter than margarine does (horrible, somewhat natural chemical filth) . Choose yer poison

They change their minds on the role of cholesterol every few weeks I think.. I'm inclined to go with the natural product that humans have been consuming long before anyone found a way to make money from it. Since I don't have my own cow or butter churn though, I stick with the supermarket butter >_>

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:07 pm

bap40 wrote: Which would you rather eat? Just the thought of that really bothers me. I know what butter is made of.
Me too, cows injected with hormones, to regulate milk production, and growth, plus antibodics. Now being fed with gene modified grains. No wonder we have "Mad Cows", I'd be mad too.

The cows are trying to change the climate with CO2 outgassing, I'm trying to help the earth, I'm eating them as fast as my billfold will allow, the Butter too. Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

Captain_Midnight

Neither

Post by Captain_Midnight » Fri Aug 08, 2008 12:25 pm

I rarely eat either butter or margarine.

However, I very occasionally allow myself a teensy bit of butter, never margarine.

(Posters Freedive and Bap are correct, margarine is nastier than is butter).

Good question, btw.

Regards all

alnhwrd

Post by alnhwrd » Sat Aug 09, 2008 6:44 am

Fun Margarine Facts for the day:

At one time it was illegal to possess, purchase or sell margarine in the state of Wisconsin, America's Dairyland.

When margarine was first sold in the U.S., it was an ugly, pasty white color, and came with a packet of yellow dye that could be mixed into it to improve its color and appearance. Somehow, whether to add or not add the dye became a matter of hot debate in many local churches, with pastor's preaching on the sin of adding dye to one's margarine!

tuna

Post by tuna » Sat Aug 09, 2008 7:25 am

I myself uses butter or olive oil (in moderation). Then Popeye gets jelious and hits me with a can of spinach!

HOSEHEADS of America: Striving for that long lost good nights sleep!

graygables

Post by graygables » Sat Aug 09, 2008 12:27 pm

I use Smart Balance. Natural oils, but not all the sat-fat of butter, either and it tastes good! I do like real butter, but I like it soft and it goes rancid too fast (even using a butter bell) where I live.