eliminated pain from aerophagia

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
freedive57

eliminated pain from aerophagia

Post by freedive57 » Mon Aug 11, 2008 7:39 am

I still get aerophagia but I realised if i eat nothing for several hours before sleep it doesn't hurt because there's nothing keeping me corked up, so to speak; the air can move along through the digestive tract freely, so there's no back pressure and swelling.

OutaSync

Post by OutaSync » Mon Aug 11, 2008 7:47 am

I would have to go without eating for two days for that to happen. When I went in for my "emptying test" it was noticed that I still had food in my stomach after 8 hours of fasting.

B

Sleep Study Titrated to 19 cm H2O
Rotating between Activa and Softgel
11/2/07 RemStar M Series Auto with AFlex 14-17
10/17/08 BiPAP Auto SV 13/13-23, BPM Auto, AHI avg <1

rested gal

Post by rested gal » Mon Aug 11, 2008 7:48 am

Makes sense. Glad to hear you've found a way to keep that aggravating problem from being painful for you, freedive.

Sorry that wouldn't be as simple a solution for you, B.
ResMed S9 VPAP Auto (ASV)
Humidifier: Integrated + Climate Control hose
Mask: Aeiomed Headrest (deconstructed, with homemade straps
3M painters tape over mouth
ALL LINKS by rested gal:
viewtopic.php?t=17435

freedive57

keeping digestive tract empty

Post by freedive57 » Mon Aug 11, 2008 8:01 am

I have a Vitamix blender and make a smoothie every day from three apples, five prunes (soaked in a jar of water that I keep in the fridge), two large carrots, a stalk of celery, 8 raw almonds (also soaked in a jar of water), and a smidge of fresh raw ginger.

That's a lot of fiber, plus the prunes help. I'm on the blood type diet, so every ingredient listed there is great for Type O blood.

I have noticed that if I eat some foods that the _Eat Right 4 your Type_ book says Type O's should avoid (e.g., cabbage, ice cream... and especially cabbage ice cream), my digestion slows way way down.

I suspect there are certain foods that slow down anyone's digestion; pasta (or anything made from flour), or too much white rice at one time is terrible for me personally. No fiber, instant sludge. The so-called "meal replacement bars" are a DISASTER.

I also jog when I get a chance. I have a non-powered treadmill set up in front of the video player- I never notice the passing of time at all when I'm jogging and watching a great movie.

I get up singing in the morning now - feel like Rip Van Winkle. Tons more energy, better sense of humour, more engaged with people after 1 month of xPAP.

CPAPopedia Keywords Contained In This Post (Click For Definition): video

We'll laugh about this someday; we might as well start now.

OutaSync

Post by OutaSync » Mon Aug 11, 2008 8:29 am

I'm Type O. Where can I get the information of what not to eat? I know we are supposed to eat more protein, but what not to eat. I often make protein shakes (my housemate is on a liquid diet, so has all the ingredients). I want to feel like that. What other secrets can you share? I'll try anything.

B

freedive57

Blood type diet (and lots of other health) info at curezone

Post by freedive57 » Mon Aug 11, 2008 9:22 am

OutaSync wrote:I'm Type O. Where can I get the information ... I want to feel like that. What other secrets can you share? I'll try anything.

B
http://curezone.com/faq/q.asp?a=13,264&q=53

Big revelation for me was meat. i was a vegetarian for 6 years, vegan for most of it. I felt crummy, had a pot belly from all the carbs (blood type O doesn't get protein from plant sources well; the body thinks plants are just carbs). Heard about the diet, type O is natural carnivore, I sat down and ate a pound of turkey sausage one day and felt great after 6 years of no meat. Next day I cooked up a large Cornish game hen and ate the whole thing - giblets, everything... I even crunched up and swallowed the entire skeleton. 1 never noticed anything from a digestive standpoint - O's have so much stomach acid I dissolved the entire skeleton.

Pot belly disappeared immediately. I eat lots and lots of red meat and it works for me. red meat is like medicine for a type O body. YMMV (Your Mileage May Vary).

freedive57

protein shakes and digestion / GI tract transit times

Post by freedive57 » Mon Aug 11, 2008 10:01 am

protein shakes may be plugging you up; the manufacturer turns the protein into a powder, then you mix it into a liquid. Maybe the powder, once the liquid is reabsorbed, is still granular - and as it loses moisture, becomes sludge.

Getting all your protein from meat has no fiber at all, so doesn't do that .

Vegetable and fruit fiber is great in addition to meat. Like I said, it works for me.

Leonbergergirl

Post by Leonbergergirl » Mon Aug 11, 2008 10:20 am

Um, research shows absolutely no correlation between blood type and diet.
But it is a good gimmick, and we buy their books and swear it works.
I wish it did, but then i want eternal life, also.
Leonbergergirl

Post by Guest » Mon Aug 11, 2008 10:52 am

Sort of a side note - A friend of mine is "Metis" - The Canadian's recognize that. We in the US don't recognize the Metis as a separate "Indian Nation" like they do. Anyway, the Metis are the descendants of fur traders from Europe who interbred with native peoples. They are a real mish-mash of genes.

My friend has been overweight most of her life. Recently she heard of a study done on some Alaskan natives (I think Inuit, but not sure). They tested them on a "normal American diet," another group eating the "right" mix of carbs and proteins and very little fats as currently touted, and then another group eating a diet that included a much larger addition of fat in the form of capsules of Oolachan (Candlefish) oil. The group eating Oolachan showed SIGNIFICANT weight loss, blood pressure drops, etc. etc.

Turns out EATING THEIR HISTORICAL DIET WAS HEALTHIER FOR THESE PEOPLE. Ooolachan was a significant part in the diet of Alaskan natives historically. That and salmon and other cold water fish.

So, my friend began eating similarly, though not Oolachan. (Presume it's hard to come by these days) She reasoned that Oolachan was high in monounsaturated fat (which is what makes it so great), and that she could replicate that with upping her intake of monounsaturated fat while eliminating other forms of fat.

She's lost 64 pounds so far. Yesterday we all were saying "Fat Lisa is Dead. Long live Thin Lisa!!!"

Just a thought. I think the Blood Type Diets are also working on this principal. Which reminds me - I got my home blood type kit. Must figure out my type.

Cheers,
Babs

OutaSync

Post by OutaSync » Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:39 am

Now I know why I always crave steak. My greatgrandparents and were Swedish anad Norwegian. Please don't make me eat reindeer.

I do eat lots of fruits and nuts and very little meat. In trying to eat healthy, I've gained nearly 20 pounds in the last year on CPAP. Something isn't right.

Your almond/prune shake sounds good. I can't wait to try it. Thanks for the link.

B

aerophagia again but not so bad smoothies /cravings

Post by Guest » Tue Aug 12, 2008 7:39 am

Hiya B:

I LOVE grass fed beef.
In the olde days, hunter gatherer times, all meat was grass fed and had a better ratio of omega3 to omega 6 fatty acids. Now it's way out of balance with grain fed beef. Too much of the 6 by far. Grass fed is what your body evolved on.

I was astounded at the difference - the fat on grass fed beef is sweet like milk, and delicious. The fat on grain fed beef tastes bitter and chalky to me now. I buy a side at a time and it turns out to be cheaper than the cheap crummy hamburger at the store, plus I get a variety of cuts - steaks, ribs, hamburger, filet, roast, etc..

I can identify with the cravings.

Why not give your body what it wants?

Several times in my life I have had an experience of eating something that really hit my system in a shockingly positive way: once when I disovered garlic and ate raw garlic constantly for a week, another time I dropped a tablespoon of brewer's yeast into a glass of cider, stirred it up and drank it and got a subtle rush head to toe. I mixed and drank it again three more times right in a row immediatley. I must have been lacking something in the yeast.

Another time somebody who liked me gave me a cookie that had been made with organic wheat berries, sprouted in fresh spring water from high in the mountains, mashed up into a cookie and baked in a solar oven. It was like heaven. Imagine a cookie: sweet, soft, chewy, with a subtle nutlike flavor and a crisp fruity aroma, fresh like winter air after it's washed clear by a rain and the sky turns blue. And it felt filling and nourishing. You know the feeling you get when you eat something you know isn't good for you? Compare that to when you have a great meal made by someone who loves you, and it's really healthy food - it was like the second feeling, but in a cookie.

INgredients: what berries, water, time, sunlight, love.

I read of an experiment where they put some people in a hospital and monitored their intake closely for a year - at the end of a year, the people who ate all the fat meat they wanted looked buff and the ones who ate a low calorie diet of carbs got fat.

The VitaMix blender is the bomb. It can grind up chunks of 2x4 - that's how they demonstrate it - they put in chunks of wood, and pour out sawdust.

You can make that smoothie (carrots, apples are the main ingredients; plus one stalk celery to give it lightness, then some prunes for sweetness, almonds for body, and a itty bitty spank of fresh raw ginger) in a regular blender but be prepared to burn out the blender motor in about 6-8 months. LOUD.

A straight prune/almond smoothie would be interesting. If that's what your body is asking for, give it a thrill. Sounds like the almond milk they sell in the store.

The prunes - I put a package of prunes in a old mayo bottle / mason jar, fil it with pure water, and just let it set in the fridge. Take out 5 a day, lasts a couple weeks. I always have one going in the fridge, and one setting waiting so I never run out. Soaked prunes are WAY more effective/easy to blend/sweeter. Ditto with the raw almonds - put 'em in a mason jar, fill with pure water, leave it in the fridge. Fill the jar halfway with almonds, to the top with water, then put on th elid tight and lay the jar on it's side in the fridge as they soak. If you put in too many or stand the jar up, as the almonds swell they will lock together in the bottom of the jar. Seeds have to be rinsed as they sprout and get more active, they are giving off stuff as they metabolise the water. Seeds have stuff in them to inhibit digestion but as they sprout those compounds go away. So rinse the almonds, but not the prunes.

Bummed - I thought I was safe, so I upped my Cm H2O to 11 and got some - not terrible - aerophagia again last night - but I ate something that gave me indigestion and I think it slowed me down yesterday. I will be careful to avoid indigestion today and see if I still inflate overnight at 11 Cm.

[quote="OutaSync"] I...crave steak.

[BUT FOR SOME REASON] I ... eat ... very little meat.
...I've gained nearly 20 pounds in the last year... Something isn't right.

Your almond/prune shake sounds good.

freedive57

sprouted raw almonds

Post by freedive57 » Tue Aug 12, 2008 7:50 am

taste sweeter and more satisfying than dry raw almonds by far. easier to digest, too.

I used to rub the peel off by grinding them between two layers of fabric (my t shirt I was wearing at the moment, usually) but now I just drop them in the blender. More Fiber!

OutaSync

Post by OutaSync » Tue Aug 12, 2008 8:07 am

Almonds and prunes are soaking. Apples, celery, carrots and fresh ginger are standing by. I'll use my housemates blender so I don't burn mine up.

Where do you get grass fed beef? I'll have to check out the natural food store downtown.

Bev

freedive57

Re: reindeer, aerophagia, etc

Post by freedive57 » Thu Aug 14, 2008 11:20 am

OutaSync wrote:... Please don't make me eat reindeer.

because...

reindeer = Rudolph = Christmas

eating Rudolph = bad girl = no presents ?

================================

At any rate, I have been careful about not eating after 5 pm the last few days and it seems to have been the solution.

I still have aerophagia but it's not painful at all.

OutaSync

Re: eliminated pain from aerophagia

Post by OutaSync » Thu Aug 14, 2008 12:00 pm

My ancestors were Vikings. Who knows what they ate. Anyway, I don't even get off work til sometimes 6 or 7. And I have to be masked up by 10:00. No 5 hours there.

Freedive,

I tried your recipe and it tasted great!! I had that and a petite filet mignon with carmelized oninons. Best meal I'd had in a long time. No bread for two days. What's with the avacados? I always thought they were one of the super foods and with this diet they are on everybody's AVOID list.

Bev