trading my CPAP for an APAP

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
REMemberWhen

trading my CPAP for an APAP

Post by REMemberWhen » Mon Aug 18, 2008 9:52 am

Gret news! Thanks to you all and learning that the I can use the same perscription for the CPAP th DR. wrote for and the APAP that I think i need, the healthcare equip. co. is going to swap my machines for me tomorrow. Now I will be on the Resmed APAP Pro machine instead of being fixed at 15. The tech said he would walk me through it and that the Dr. I have is hard to deal with so as long as I seemed to know what I was doing, he felt comfortable swaping it for me. He said he just has to set it at a constant pressure of 15 like the rx says and then I can tinker with it to my own settings. I was wondering what range you all thought I should set it to. My origional study said 18, but I couldnt keep it from leaking at that high of pressure. I have been doing quite well at 15. It will be 2 weeks Wed. (5 days at 15...7 days at 18), and my 30 day AHI=3.6 and my 7 day avg. is 2.9. I don't have any software yet as i can't afford it right now, so i get all my #s from the LCD screen. Your advice and suggestions have been such a help so far!!! Thanks SOOO much. Any further help will be greatly appreciated!

REMemberWhen

Re: trading my CPAP for an APAP

Post by REMemberWhen » Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:00 am

QUICK QUESTION: I know what C-flex does, but what does A-flex do?

rested gal

Post by rested gal » Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:07 am

viewtopic.php?p=56836#p56836

In a nutshell, A-Flex smooths out the pressure transitions when you inhale/exhale/inhale/exhale...

Gives a smoother running up and down of pressure than the way C-flex lets the "regular" pressure rush back in before exhalation is finished.
ResMed S9 VPAP Auto (ASV)
Humidifier: Integrated + Climate Control hose
Mask: Aeiomed Headrest (deconstructed, with homemade straps
3M painters tape over mouth
ALL LINKS by rested gal:
viewtopic.php?t=17435

REMemberWhen

Post by REMemberWhen » Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:11 am

thanks for the link rested gal!

Slinky

Post by Slinky » Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:31 am

Resmed APAP Pro?? "Ain't" no such "creature"! Since the avatar is the black device we can safely assume that you have or are getting a Respironics but if it has Pro in its name it is NOT an auto. The Pro does have C-Flex which DOES provide up to 3 cms of expiration pressure relief.

My computer says I need to upgrade my brain to be compatible with its new software.

REMemberWhen

Post by REMemberWhen » Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:41 am

oops! I guess what i will be getting is an M series Auto w/ A-flex...you are right, NO PRO! Anyways, i will know for sure which machine I will be getting tomorrow, so i will update my new machine then. That way i will get my facts straight.

Snoredog

Post by Snoredog » Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:51 am

REMemberWhen wrote:Gret news! Thanks to you all and learning that the I can use the same perscription for the CPAP th DR. wrote for and the APAP that I think i need, the healthcare equip. co. is going to swap my machines for me tomorrow. Now I will be on the Resmed APAP Pro machine instead of being fixed at 15. The tech said he would walk me through it and that the Dr. I have is hard to deal with so as long as I seemed to know what I was doing, he felt comfortable swaping it for me. He said he just has to set it at a constant pressure of 15 like the rx says and then I can tinker with it to my own settings. I was wondering what range you all thought I should set it to. My origional study said 18, but I couldnt keep it from leaking at that high of pressure. I have been doing quite well at 15. It will be 2 weeks Wed. (5 days at 15...7 days at 18), and my 30 day AHI=3.6 and my 7 day avg. is 2.9. I don't have any software yet as i can't afford it right now, so i get all my #s from the LCD screen. Your advice and suggestions have been such a help so far!!! Thanks SOOO much. Any further help will be greatly appreciated!
You NEED to understand the brand names and models, Resmed does NOT make a Autopap called "Pro". Respironics makes a "CPAP" called Pro, but it is NOT an AUTOPAP. The two brands that start with "R" are Respironics which makes the M series and Resmed which makes the AutoSet II. If you are getting a Resmed Auto, you want the "AutoSet Spirit II" it should be blue and white in color. IF you are getting a Respironics "M" series it will say "AFLEX" on the top and be turd brown in color.

Personally, I'd go for the new Resmed AutoSet Spirit II. Be careful those DME's will bait and switch, lie and cheat to give you a plain jane cheapo machine despite what your Dr. put on the script.

Do your home work or you will be taken for a ride by your DME, this is the M series Auto called AFlex (it also has Cflex built in):
https://www.cpap.com/cpap-machine/remst ... -flex.html

This is the newest Resmed AutoSet Spirit II machine:
http://www.resmed.com/en-en/products/fl ... u=products

Print out the pages, KNOW what you are to be getting and don't get over excited and let them substitute a lesser machine when they tell you they DON'T have what you asked for.
someday science will catch up to what I'm saying...

REMemberWhen

Post by REMemberWhen » Mon Aug 18, 2008 11:07 am

I have a very good DME so I should be ok. He gave me a heated humidifier when my medicaide would only cover a regular humidifier. Now he is willing to circumvent my hard to deal with Dr. and swap machines for me. I do keep getting the ResMed equipment confused with the Respironics equipment. I have the M series Pro CPAP now, so I am ASSUMING that I will be swaping it for an M series APAP, but like i said, i'll know for sure tomorrow. Is one machine better than the other, or is it personal pref.?.......I am talking about ResMed vs. Respironics APAPs

txnative

Post by txnative » Mon Aug 18, 2008 11:38 am

Snoredog wrote: You NEED to understand the brand names and models, Resmed does NOT make a Autopap called "Pro". Respironics makes a "CPAP" called Pro, but it is NOT an AUTOPAP. The two brands that start with "R" are Respironics which makes the M series and Resmed which makes the AutoSet II. If you are getting a Resmed Auto, you want the "AutoSet Spirit II" it should be blue and white in color. IF you are getting a Respironics "M" series it will say "AFLEX" on the top and be turd brown in color.

Personally, I'd go for the new Resmed AutoSet Spirit II. Be careful those DME's will bait and switch, lie and cheat to give you a plain jane cheapo machine despite what your Dr. put on the script.

Do your home work or you will be taken for a ride by your DME, this is the M series Auto called AFlex (it also has Cflex built in):
https://www.cpap.com/cpap-machine/remst ... -flex.html

This is the newest Resmed AutoSet Spirit II machine:
http://www.resmed.com/en-en/products/fl ... u=products

Print out the pages, KNOW what you are to be getting and don't get over excited and let them substitute a lesser machine when they tell you they DON'T have what you asked for.
Actually, the Resmed S8 AutoSet Spirit II is the international version. The name for the USA version is "S8 AutoSet II".
Not sure, but I would guess that they are the same. However, if you are dealing with a US DME, they probably will not know anything about a Resmed Machine with "Spirit" in the name.

Began CPAP on Jul 22, 2008. Split Night Study failed to get a good titration pressure. Titrated (2 week home APAP) at 10. Currently using APAP at 13-15. Not using Humidifier. Even with SA under control, still can't sleep all night!

Slinky

Post by Slinky » Mon Aug 18, 2008 12:12 pm

We just want to make sure that you know what you are getting. If you want an auto we wanted to make sure that you understood that the Pro is not an auto. The auto w/A-Flex is the top of the line Respironics autoPAP.

My computer says I need to upgrade my brain to be compatible with its new software.

rested gal

Post by rested gal » Mon Aug 18, 2008 2:19 pm

If you want the Auto with A-flex, the full name of the machine is:

Respironics REMstar Auto A-Flex M series.

The model # is:

DS510S (includes Smart Card)
or
DS510SH (includes Smart Card and integrated heated humidifier)

I have that autopap and like it very much. I don't use the integrated M humidifier though. I prefer using a separate Fisher & Paykel HC 150 heated humidifier (holds more water and is easier to fill) with the M series machines.
ResMed S9 VPAP Auto (ASV)
Humidifier: Integrated + Climate Control hose
Mask: Aeiomed Headrest (deconstructed, with homemade straps
3M painters tape over mouth
ALL LINKS by rested gal:
viewtopic.php?t=17435

REMemberWhen

Post by REMemberWhen » Mon Aug 18, 2008 2:28 pm

thanks rested gal, i already have the m series humidifier (sp?) for my m series pro CPAP, and they told me to just bing in the CPAP part, so I am now fairly confident that my new machine will be the same as yours. i am glad to hear that it is a quality machine. My tech told me that it was, but from reading many posts on here i see that you can't always trust them. In my case, my tech has been SUPER! I could not be happier when it comes to him...my Pulm. Dr. is another story, but thanks to the tech we are cicumventing him as far as machines go. Again, I can't express how much help this site has been. There is so much to learn. Eventually i hope to purchase the software so I can really take control of my own treatment and then i am sure I will really have some questions! Until then my tech said I could stop by any time with my card and get my info.

Slinky

Post by Slinky » Mon Aug 18, 2008 2:46 pm

It sounds like you do have a good local DME supplier. Congratulations. I'm sorry to hear your sleep doctor is such a slug. Ah well, you have your DME supplier and us!

ThatMaskedMan

Post by ThatMaskedMan » Mon Aug 18, 2008 9:55 pm

Hi, REMemberWhen,
You and I are not so distant - I am in the Albany/Schenectady area. My situation is more typical - great sleep doc and sleep lab techs, awful lying and ignorant dme RTs.

Congratulations on going from cpap to apap - i'm going the opposite direction as my hmo diallowed the apap and will only go for cpap.

I haven't been to Lake George this year but remember a restaurant called Tired John's. We might fit right in there - I wanted to visit it but an online review said he's so tired, he serves left-overs LOL.

ThatMaskedMan (hopefully logged in OK.)