Travel and CPAP...frustrations, we need to write letters!

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
graygables

Travel and CPAP...frustrations, we need to write letters!

Post by graygables » Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:59 pm

I'm home from 2 weeks of road warrioring and 7 hotels (3 of which were Disney resorts). Only 2 had somewhere for me to plug in my CPAP without unplugging a lamp or a clock and 2 had NOWHERE for me to plug without an extension cord. Fortunately, I had one in my cargo trailer, but it sure stunk having to go out after settling in to look for it in the dark. One place that had the plug was a Holiday Inn Express and the outlet was actually headboard height, so super-easy to use! The other was at Disney's Yacht Club, where they had a little corner shelf attached to the wall by the bed with an outlet near the floor. I also used the Command hooks and a ribbon for a hose hanger and that was a perfect solution. We need to unite and get these places to install more outlets!!!

billbolton

Re: Travel and CPAP...frustrations, we need to write letters!

Post by billbolton » Wed Aug 27, 2008 10:39 pm

graygables wrote:Only 2 had somewhere for me to plug in my CPAP without unplugging a lamp or a clock
What's so hard about carrying one of these (or similar) for $2...

and a $4 extension power cable with you on your travels?

Cheers,

Bill

Snoredog

Post by Snoredog » Wed Aug 27, 2008 11:06 pm

Ohhhh sounds like you stayed in some Mickey Mouse hotels.... I stayed a week at the Dolphin Inn once.

Always take a flat 15 ft 3 prong cord with you along with an adapter like Bill shows, you never have enough outlets.

I cut the ground prong off the extension cord incase where I stay is only 2-prong, having it a 3 prong outlet on the other end ensures I can plug most anything into it.
someday science will catch up to what I'm saying...

CorgiGirl

Post by CorgiGirl » Wed Aug 27, 2008 11:21 pm

Snoredog wrote:Always take a flat 15 ft 3 prong cord with you along with an adapter like Bill shows, you never have enough outlets.
Or a multi-plug power strip with at least a 6 foot power cord. My husband's had his APAP for 5 years and we learned early on to carry our own electrical plugs. The power strip also lets us plug in the laptop, phone and camera chargers, etc. I guess now we'll be traveling with two power strips, one for each side of the bed.

Machine: Respironics M series Auto with A-Flex
Humidifier: Respironics M series Heated Humidifier
Software: Encore Viewer

JeffH

Post by JeffH » Thu Aug 28, 2008 8:29 am

Have to agree with the above posters. I learned long ago to include an extension cord, a three into two adapter (from my old Sullivan days), a bungee cord and hooks for hanging my hose over head no matter how the room was set up.

JeffH

graygables

Post by graygables » Thu Aug 28, 2008 8:58 am

Wellll, I'm not an idiot and I did have those very items (although the extension cord was in the trailer). The point is, there weren't enough outlets in the room since many hotels have gone to the plug-in-a-lamp things and none of those would accommodate the triple plug or a grounded extension cord. My extension cord is grounded, as is required by the events I do. I've been unsuccessful in finding a non-grounded to grounded adapter, so a non-grounded cord wasn't going to help me, either.

My point is, how hard is it to have a free outlet near the bed? Not only for CPAP users, but for cell phone chargers or an iPod or whatever? Obviously, some hotels are better thought out in that area and I was just suggesting that writing to various companies en group (as "little people" have done) might be a positive step toward facilitating and understanding the needs of this disorder.

CorgiGirl

Post by CorgiGirl » Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:36 am

Adding extra electrical outlets in every hotel and motel room in the country? That would cost somewhere in the range of a gajillion dollars, I'm sure. Newer construction has different code requirements for electrical outlets (something like one every linear 6 feet), so there will be more outlets in a newer room, but probably not more at the head of the bed.

I think you're asking us to tilt at windmills and there are so many other, more important windmills which require my attention right now, sorry....

Machine: Respironics M series Auto with A-Flex
Humidifier: Respironics M series Heated Humidifier
Software: Encore Viewer

billbolton

Post by billbolton » Thu Aug 28, 2008 5:22 pm

graygables wrote:I've been unsuccessful in finding a non-grounded to grounded adapter
I saw them "on the shelf" in several supermarkets along the Pacific Coast of the USA in June, so they aren't hard to find!
graygables wrote:My point is, how hard is it to have a free outlet near the bed?
Write all the letters you want, but its not going to get outlets fitted anytime soon to hotels that don't have them!

Cheers,

Bill