Torture or blessing? Why do you like CPAP poll.

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.

What's the BIGGEST reason you use your (C/Bi/A)PAP regularly (choose the BEST)?

I sleep better with the machine
32%
I am less sleepy during the day
23%
It helps me remember things better
No votes
I am more awake while driving
7%
I have more energy
4%
I believe it will help my heart
12%
My doctor told me it will help
4%
My spouse/ partner/ SO likes it
1%
My sex life has improved since I have been using the machine
3%
Other (please describe)
13%

Total votes: 69

NooneInParticular

Torture or blessing? Why do you like CPAP poll.

Post by NooneInParticular » Sun Oct 26, 2008 12:31 am

PAP therapy has been called medieval torture. Wondering what’s your BIGGEST motivation to use your (C/Bi/A)PAP regularly (if you do use it regularly). For most people, many may be true. In fact, is there any of the above that DOES NOT affect at all your decision to regularly use CPAP?

I UNDERSTAND IT IS LIKE ASKING WHAT YOU LOVE MOST ABOUT YOUR KID OR YOUR SPOUSE (IF ANYTHING)- You may love many things- S/he may be be a good musician, 'A' student, lovely smile, polite manners....Of course you love everything, but if you were made to pick up one, what would THAT be?
Last edited by NooneInParticular on Sun Oct 26, 2008 6:41 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Goofproof

Re: Torture or blessing? Why do you like CPAP poll.

Post by Goofproof » Sun Oct 26, 2008 1:14 am

Didn't fill in the poll, I will wait until the election. One thing, there is no onw thing to check, it's most of the areas on the poll. Making the poll it's self useless.

#1 When you finally make up your mind you are going to use XPAP right, it Works, that's why I use it. Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

NooneInParticular

Post by NooneInParticular » Sun Oct 26, 2008 2:29 am

Goofproof wrote:Didn't fill in the poll, I will wait until the election. One thing, there is no onw thing to check, it's most of the areas on the poll. Making the poll it's self useless.

#1 When you finally make up your mind you are going to use XPAP right, it Works, that's why I use it. Jim
Good enough, your vote then is for other, i.e. you made up your mind to use it. But of course, not everyone uses it for that 'main' reason (and surely lot of people may have lot of different benefits). It is interesting, though, to see what people see as the main reason they have to use the device. I know someone who was diagnosed with OSA and was telling me that he hated anything on his face and he would not use CPAP. But after using it for a few days after much coaxing from his doc, he says that his bedroom is 'much more active now' . He still hates the machine, but says he will continue it regularly mainly for that reason.

bdp522

Post by bdp522 » Sun Oct 26, 2008 5:43 am

I picked other, but I would have picked all of the above had it been an option!

Brenda

boston

Post by boston » Sun Oct 26, 2008 6:00 am

I picked other, for all of the above, + im less likely to wake up dead, and our life expectancy is better now

DreamStalker

Post by DreamStalker » Sun Oct 26, 2008 6:02 am

I didn't select anything either because the poll is flawed and cannot provide a reasonable assessment.
.... left out the most important and likely option ... ALL OF THE ABOVE
President-pretender, J. Biden, said "the DNC has built the largest voter fraud organization in US history". Too bad they didn’t build the smartest voter fraud organization and got caught.

JayC

Post by JayC » Sun Oct 26, 2008 6:19 am

Picked other........

Blessing......although takes somes effort. Or perhaps it's more habit than effort required.

Most immediate reason for me to use nightly (and any naps, if I can) is to avoid that "hangover headache" I have had most of the time to some degree after sleeping for the last *30 years*!! More of a "cognitive alertness" thing than a "sleepy during the day" thing.

I am starting to sleep longer, and am overcoming the ingrained insomnia habit of putting off bed-time the more I use faithfully for all sleeping.

I like APAP because it is giving me vitality and life back.....slowly....even at 3 months in....

J

sleepyangler

Post by sleepyangler » Sun Oct 26, 2008 6:58 am

I picked other as I am still waiting on any of the other choices to be true for me.

So far I've adapted very well to strapping on the beast each night and fortunately haven't had the many issues others had/have to work through in the beginning. Yet after nearly 5 weeks of 100% compliance and data which would suggest otherwise, I still have no other reason to continue then that I still hold out hope that the apap will eventually provide all the benefits listed in the poll. That's the reason why I continue to use the machine, that promise and hope of better things to come.

echo

Post by echo » Sun Oct 26, 2008 7:10 am

I agree, ALL OF THE ABOVE!!!
PR System One APAP, 10cm
Activa nasal mask + mouth taping w/ 3M micropore tape + Pap-cap + PADACHEEK + Pur-sleep
Hosehead since 31 July 2007, yippie!

carbonman

Post by carbonman » Sun Oct 26, 2008 9:15 am

I voted "other".

I use cpap because I have the Brick , extra cords,
and annoying blue lights.

Life is guuoood!
"If your therapy is improving your health but you're not doing anything
to see or feel those changes, you'll never know what you're capable of."
I said that.

Wulfman

Post by Wulfman » Sun Oct 26, 2008 9:38 am

I didn't vote because "All of the above" was not available.

I also object to you claiming that it's been called "medieval torture". Do you have any reference links to that claim?

I've NEVER "hated" (or even disliked) my machine or this therapy. Why should I? It's given me my life back (in the form of more functionality).
It's so simple, a caveman could do it.

Den
(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:28 am

Wulfman wrote:I didn't vote because "All of the above" was not available.

I also object to you claiming that it's been called "medieval torture". Do you have any reference links to that claim?

I've NEVER "hated" (or even disliked) my machine or this therapy. Why should I? It's given me my life back (in the form of more functionality).
It's so simple, a caveman could do it.

Den
You did it now Dan, you'll have to walk away from those "Babes", now just because of the ad! Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

Paul56

Post by Paul56 » Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:48 am

What I like about xPAP....

-It is a new hobby I can practice mostly while sleeping or trying to sleep.

Treesap

Post by Treesap » Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:57 am

bdp522 wrote:I picked other, but I would have picked all of the above had it been an option!

Brenda
Same here. All of the reasons are equally good IMHO.

alnhwrd

Post by alnhwrd » Sun Oct 26, 2008 11:08 am

Yeah, all of the above should have been a choice, and would have been most accurate. I did pick the driving one, because no longer falling asleep at the wheel was an immediate benefit without which death/serious injury was most imminent, and would have prevented the other benefits from occuring. But I like all of the benefits, and wouldn't give it up for anything!