Oh the joys of living in the country

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
goose
Location: The left coast - CA... If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space!!

Oh the joys of living in the country

Post by goose » Wed Oct 29, 2008 4:24 pm

So, last night I was nodding off to na-na land.....the APAP machine pumping a bit of "fresh" in the air intake (pur-sleep oil for those that may not know), pleasantly moving towards unconsciousness
Wearing earplugs as usual, the dogs barking was kind of waaaaaaay back there, but recognizable -- she'll bark when there are deer in the yard as that's her job -- deer patrol. And Maggie "hates" deer .....It's the only reason we can have roses or some of the other non-deer resistant plants we try to grow. .....But alas, this time she hadn't spotted a deer......
In the fog of dropping off came this "fragrance"....strangely familiar, but so subtle that I didn't really think about it at first, but as the minutes passed it became stronger and readily recognizable......So I reached up and closed the bedroom window hoping that it would take care of the situation....to no avail, it was already too late.
Maggie has just never gained the understanding that the black and white furry things are not to be messed with. All she knows is that there is a critter in her territory that needs to be removed, and this one happened to be next to the front door poaching the cat's food (we have a rescue that sprays in the house, so he's been relegated to a life outdoors)......so Maggiej was really just defending the cat's honor, and in doing so was severely, viciously and firmly.......Skunked!!!!!!

Now, if you're not familiar with the O-dwah of skunk close up, consider yourself fortunate. We get it all too often, but generally it's from a bit more further away......some do live in the culvert pipe under the driveway across the road (100 yards or so)....

Understand also, that I am a firm believer in Bret's products (Sleepguy's Pur-Sleep oils for those that may not know what I'm referring to ), but I've gotta tell ya that 5 drops of Peace and 5 drops of Spice on the pad being sucked into a very clean, new set of filters did not overwhelm the distinct fragrance that emanated from my hose and mask.....
A couple sticks of Nag Champa and a mega stick of Strawberry incense didn't do much either, so it was just a matter of toughing it out.......I figured that after I was asleep, I wouldn't notice....A correct figuring.... but now that I'm awake, it's back.....

But, it's better now...
As long as we stay away from the dog and the front porch....

Sheesh....the things we do to remain compliant.......

cheers
goose

-the Dalai Lama

Paul56

Re: Oh the joys of living in the country

Post by Paul56 » Wed Oct 29, 2008 4:47 pm

I was taking my bike to work last summer... enjoying the exercise, fresh air and leaving the car at home. The ride is about 5 miles to the office with about a 50/50 mix of streets and trails through the forest.

I'm pedaling along early in the morning enjoying the ride looking ahead and not seeing anything ominous along the trail... when all of a sudden I see movement on my right side and turn just in time to see a spray. I was so surprised that for a while I did not realize what it was... and then that unmistakable odor reached the sensors in my nostrils. I had been skunked while riding the bike.

I was only another half-mile into the office so I thought perhaps it was not that bad and continued in... besides, I thought, who is going to believe my story if I turn around and call them from home? I head to the washroom at the office to wash my hands, emerge and relate my story while at the same time everyone started backing away... yes yes... we believe you the chorus said.

At that point I was given the all clear to go home... encourage to go home... well kicked out of the office for raising such a stink. I ended up tossing out all the clothes I was wearing, my biking gloves and backpack. I had to wash everything else including myself with a solution of liquid soap, hydrogen peroxide and baking soda.

I returned to the office nice & fresh; however the skunk smell was still lingering at the office despite the windows having been wide open for a couple of hours. I could detect small whiffs of that skunk smell for weeks before it finally dissipated... likely items I touched before getting the scent of with the above mentioned solution.

I know exactly what Maggie is going through.

betsy946

Post by betsy946 » Thu Oct 30, 2008 9:07 pm

My dog got skunked a few weeks ago (I too live in the sticks ) and that smell lingers - I think it lives forever - yesterday, I put on a pendant w/ chain and all day kept smelling skunk - put the pendant to my nose and...you guessed it - skunk smell - it was in a jewelry box at the time she first came in the house - good luck, my friend.

goose
Location: The left coast - CA... If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space!!

Post by goose » Thu Oct 30, 2008 10:28 pm

Ha!!!! Thanks Betsy -- I feel your pain!!!

This isn't the first time, and I know it won't be the last for Maggie. The smell is starting to wane a bit, but I know what you mean -- it does seem to linger forever, but from experience, it does go away eventually.....

The front porch got skunked so every time you walk on it the bottom of your shoes get some.....I've scrubbed it down, but there doesn't seem to be anything that gets rid of it totally (I used bleach and had to make sure it didn't get into the landscape beds)....

I guess we just have to bring the cats food in at night so we don't draw the critters up.....sooner or later they'll figure out it's not there anymore and go somewhere else, but as I said in the first post -- they just live across the street.....

It's storming tonight (thankfully -- finally!!!!!) so I'm off to make sure my battery backup system for the xPAP is ready for the inevitable!!!!

Take care
cheers
goose

-the Dalai Lama

krousseau

Post by krousseau » Fri Oct 31, 2008 1:02 am

I have two 3 yr old dogs, a brother and sister. The male was born with impaired vision and hearing (or else is just plain stupid). The female is supposedly brain damaged having been kicked in the sternum by a goat , collapsed, was given CPR by the ranch hand and rushed to a nearby vet (or else is just plain smart). She who has never managed to retain a learned command for more than 2 minutes has learned to lead the male around. He is an excellent follower of both commands and his Sister. She learned about skunks the first time, hates them and wants to eliminate them. If left to his own devices he would bask in the moonlight and ignore any creature who stumbled over him. She however barks and runs in circles to get him up for Mission Impossible. This involves leading him to the skunk.....then stepping aside. He was skunked four times in 2 years and her once. Since they are big and my house small they have to live outside, so this year I put up an inner yard with a gate to the big yard. So far.......

BTW The best skunk treatment is specifically SoftSoap (or a liquid soap with the same pH), peroxide and baking soda. I sprinkle on the baking soda, then add the SoftSoap and peroxide, then hose him off. I keep a box of baking soda, peroxide and SoftSoap in a bag with a pair of kitchen gloves, a disposable plastic backed paper coverall suit, shower cap, dollar store shower sandals, a charcoal painters mask, and a rag to wash the dogs face. The last time he got sprayed was in the spring of 2007. He had a couple deodorizing baths that summer. When he got wet in the first rain of winter.....there was still a distinct odor of skunk about him.
Faced with the choice between changing one's mind and proving that there is no need to do so, almost everyone gets busy on the proof.....Galbraith's Law

Snoredog

Post by Snoredog » Fri Oct 31, 2008 1:54 am

I made the mistake once of putting one of those elastic Eveready LED minor's lights on my dog Sir Farts-a-lot. Just for fun I stuck it around his neck, adjusted it and turned it on. He went outside in the back yard in the pitch dark and had a blast, you could see that light going back and forth everywhere, we have squirrels, possums, rats you name it, there is something always getting his attention. He would hear something out there, I'd go shine the flash light in the tree, he seen the possum going after a rat in the tree and went nutso.

So now it is like every night he wants to go outside and sits there and whines until I put on his stupid minor's light so he can see. He is a long legged wire haired Jack Russell Terror, he never sleeps.
someday science will catch up to what I'm saying...

robrdavis

Post by robrdavis » Fri Oct 31, 2008 11:47 am

So now it is like every night he wants to go outside and sits there and whines until I put on his stupid minor's light so he can see. He is a long legged wire haired Jack Russell Terror, he never sleeps.
Now that's funny! I've to see this. Is there any way that you could post a video of the action?

A former roommate inherited a Jack Russel named Oscar and I fell in love with him (the dog, not my roomie!). Oscar was good for hours of cheap entertainment, especially with a tennis ball and a flight of stairs!

goose

Post by goose » Fri Oct 31, 2008 11:58 am

Hey krousseau -- looks like we're in the same basic neighborhood -- Yeah, I've tried all the remedies including tomato juice (which seemed to work pretty well), but with last nights rain, she's smellin' like skunkie again.....

Ha -- I've never seen a Jack Russell that didn't have more energy than a power plant.....how funny....You might get some money for a video on that "funniest videos" show.....robdavis is right -- get us a video of that action

Along the critter lines, we have a couple goats left and they don't like "wet".....when we feed them in the rain, we have to put some under the goat house (where one hangs) and some inside the goat house....they won't even come out and get their feet wet when it rains....it's hilarious....they'll starve before coming out in the rain....
On the other hand, you've seen my posts with the saying about not forgetting what a wet horse smells like???? Nuff said

Can't imagine life without critters.....

cheers
goose

-the Dalai Lama

deerslayer

Post by deerslayer » Fri Oct 31, 2008 12:53 pm

my condolences Goose. Unfortunately them critters have been very numerous this year around these parts. we were out camping this year kicked back in the lounge chairs enjoying the starry heavens not to mention the crackling fire. i look over at the wife & her eyes were all bugged out "don't move, there's a skunk under your chair"...that's about the time i swallowed hard(no over over movements required)....through the wonders of peripheral vision, i noticed he had waddled under the trailer. as i started to get up he hunched down like a cat does infering(don't make me shoot you) ....upon slowly easing up out of said chair, i calmly went over and grabbed the trailer door and sheepishly said NOW, MAKE YOUR MOVE ....AHhhh yes, camping memories

thanks to Nick sleep HQ
Feeling Blessed & firmly believe in The Holy Trinity 🙏

Babette

Post by Babette » Fri Oct 31, 2008 2:16 pm

Ya' know... You're going to just be confirmed in your assumption that I'm DEMENTED by what I'm about to say.....

The smell of skunk has never bothered me.

Just smells like "home" to me!

I kid you not! I've lived in the rural suburbs most of my life, with a terrier that couldn't leave any rodent alone. I got real used to the scent.

Now, mind you, I've never been PERSONALLY skunked. And I've never had to wash the dog after she's been skunked. I did have to wash her after the "rolling in the dead seagull incident". And then had to share the backseat with her on the two hour car ride back from Ocean Shores. BTW, the idea that vinegar removes the scent is just wrong. Washing the dog with the closest equivalent in the camper to vinegar - mustard - just added condiments to the rank smell of dead seagull. Hey, I was 12, what did *I* know?

But the odor of skunk is just an elusive far away scent like pine trees and wood smoke most days in the woods near my parents home. It's just comforting.

Okay, I'm just not wrapped right, as my receptionist frequently tells me.
B.

I currently have a stash of Nasal Aire II cannulas in Small or Extra Small. Please PM me if you would like them. I'm interested in bartering for something strange and wonderful that I don't currently own. Or a Large size NAII cannula. :)