Fat face? FFM user? Tell me what mask you love.

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
fortomorrow

Re: Fat face? FFM user? Tell me what mask you love.

Post by fortomorrow » Thu Oct 30, 2008 10:55 pm

rooster wrote:What are the problems with the Hybrid?

You can easily avoid leads around the eyes and nose bridge sores with a Hybrid.

Here are some tips on adjusting and using the Hybrid: viewtopic.php?t=14422&highlight=

If you need a FF mask, it will be a shame if you can't get the Hybrid to work. It is lighter weight and less confining than any traditional FF mask.
I use the Breeze most nights but sometimes I need a night off from having something up my nose and tape across my mouth (especially because I've just started Retin-A, which causes serious skin irritation). The other night my nares were killing me and both of my masks are pillow based. I've got a ComfortGel nasal around here somewhere, but it's a size too small and it hurts the bridge of my nose pretty bad.

I *like* the Hybrid. I've adjusted it well, it fits with minimal leakage, it's nice not having anything over my nose, it's just that sometimes I really need to give my poor nares and the skin around my mouth a rest.

CRS

Post by CRS » Thu Oct 30, 2008 11:26 pm

fortomorrow wrote:
CRS wrote:Have you looked at the full face Zzz-Mask? For me it's the only non-hybrid FFM that doesn't kill the bridge of my nose.
I like the fact that it doesn't have a forehead stabiliser, but I'm concerned that it goes so far up near the eyes. Do you notice any leaking around there?
Actually, it doesn't go all the way up like a traditional FFM, the top rests about halfway down your nose, so no leaking there. It's a little rounded in the mouth area, if you have a wide mouth that might be an issue. It's soft and pretty flexible: even if you have the straps pulled REALLY tight, it's not uncomfortable. The vents are on the top of the mask, on the part where it covers your nose. The vent noise level is higher than the Resmed masks but overall it's a nice solution to the "nothing fits on the bridge of my nose without leaking somewhere else" problem.
M Series Auto w/A-flex, M Series HH, Mirage Liberty hybrid mask, Respironics hose snuggie.

fortomorrow

Post by fortomorrow » Fri Oct 31, 2008 10:25 pm

CRS wrote:Actually, it doesn't go all the way up like a traditional FFM, the top rests about halfway down your nose, so no leaking there. It's a little rounded in the mouth area, if you have a wide mouth that might be an issue. It's soft and pretty flexible: even if you have the straps pulled REALLY tight, it's not uncomfortable. The vents are on the top of the mask, on the part where it covers your nose. The vent noise level is higher than the Resmed masks but overall it's a nice solution to the "nothing fits on the bridge of my nose without leaking somewhere else" problem.
Ah ha, the images of the mask on cpap.com look a bit misleading then. On there it seems to go all the way up between his eyes.

I actually have a pretty narrow mouth so this mask is looking pretty good. I can handle a loud vent noise, I think. The Hybrid seems pretty loud to me.

And again, I really like that there isn't a forehead stabiliser. The less stuff on my face, the better.

I'm going to seriously think about getting one - their sizing sheet seems to indicate a large. Did you find the sizing to be accurate?

It's a shame there don't seem to be any on cpapauction.

CRS

Post by CRS » Sat Nov 01, 2008 2:00 am

fortomorrow wrote:I'm going to seriously think about getting one - their sizing sheet seems to indicate a large. Did you find the sizing to be accurate?

It's a shame there don't seem to be any on cpapauction.
You know I just checked out those pictures, and sure enough, the mannequin has it all the way up by the eyes! My RT insisted that it was supposed to fit with the top further down my nose. I don't think I would want to try it the other way.

Mine is a size smaller than what the sizing sheet says I need.

Actually, I saw one on auction: http://www.cpapauction.com/auction-list ... lable.html

Hmmm...just thought of something. If you buy it and don't like it, let me know. I've been thinking about buying another one.
M Series Auto w/A-flex, M Series HH, Mirage Liberty hybrid mask, Respironics hose snuggie.

fortomorrow

Post by fortomorrow » Tue Nov 11, 2008 10:11 am

So I got a Zzzz FFM on CPAP auction and it arrived yesterday.

My first night's impression? Awesome! Very comfortable. No beginnings of pressure sores anywhere. No strap marks. A minor mask mark which should go away with a shower. I think I probably could have gone with a small (I got a medium), but the medium seems to be all right for now. I'll think about replacing once my face thins out post-surgery.

I love that it vents straight up toward the headboard. I have never figured out why they make masks that vent out in front of you so you can disturb your bed partners. Or, if you're like me, disturb yourself because you're a stomach sleeper and the vent makes a whistly noise against the pillowcase.

I managed to get it sealed pretty well and slept on my side most of the night. It does make a disconcerting farting noise when the seal breaks near my cheek, but that's enough to wake me up and reseat it. I'm not sure what the leak rate is, but Encore Pro shows an average of 26, which is really close to the Breeze. No large leaks detected, but there was a pretty hefty spike up to 75 around 4am. Which is probably around the time my face was making fun farting noises. My AHI was 1.7 last night, which is about normal. A lot of flow limitations though, when I usually have next to none.

Anyway, so far it's a great mask. I'm definitely pleased with it.

looking4zzzz

Post by looking4zzzz » Tue Nov 11, 2008 7:31 pm

Thanks for the update. I've been watching your post because I am having terrible mouth leaking problems and the quattro ffm leaks like crazy on me. I'll be keeping my eyes open for the zzzz mask on cpapauction now.

CRS

Post by CRS » Tue Nov 11, 2008 7:42 pm

I'm glad it worked for you! Think I'll check out the auction site for another one for moi.

RevnJeff

Post by RevnJeff » Tue Nov 11, 2008 8:04 pm

I have the Mirage Quattro Full Face mask. I have to tell you I love it. I have a rather "pudgy" face. I don't have any troubles with it sealing.

What I discovered was it's a delicate balance between the tightness of the straps and comfort. There's enough adjustment room on the Quattro (imo) to make it work

Jeff

fortomorrow

Post by fortomorrow » Wed Nov 12, 2008 9:55 am

Aaaaand last night sucked. It took me an hour and a half to properly fall asleep and then I woke up several times in the middle of the night. I couldn't get the mask seated properly and it was leaking all over the place, at my cheeks, near my nose, my eyes. Ugh.

I tried a pressure increase last night and I'm hoping that's part of the problem with the mask issues. My AHI doubled so I'm taking the pressure back down to where it was.

CorgiGirl

Post by CorgiGirl » Wed Nov 12, 2008 12:52 pm

Okay, the Quattro isn't going to work for me at all.... I can't stand the forehead piece when I'm lying on my side or my tummy. Oh well. I guess I'll keep using the 431/432. It seems to be the best for me. At least I have something that I can use reliably that isn't too uncomfortable.

Machine: Respironics M series Auto with A-Flex
Humidifier: Respironics M series Heated Humidifier
Software: Encore Viewer

fortomorrow

Post by fortomorrow » Thu Nov 13, 2008 9:31 am

Third night, back to loving it. Slept through the whole night (and could have kept going, I think) with no reseating, no leaking, no discomfort.

My AHI was 1.5, but my AI was only 0.2. Two apneas the entire 8 hours and 28 minutes, 12 seconds each. Brilliant.

I think I may get rid of my Hybrid. It's a shame I cut the chin flap off the medium.

fortomorrow

Post by fortomorrow » Fri Nov 14, 2008 5:28 am

Yep. I love it. 9 hours of sleep last night. Seriously vivid dreams. Only one conscious arousal after around hour six.

TWO apneas and ONE hypopnea, for an AHI of 0.3.

GET IN.