Does aflex cause leaks?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
ractar28

Does aflex cause leaks?

Post by ractar28 » Wed Nov 05, 2008 10:37 am

I've been using a-flex 3 for most of my time with my new machine and turned off a-flex and c-flex last night to try with steady pressure. It seems like my mask was less prone to leak because of the constant pressure. I haven't whipped out the card yet to check for sure, but wondered if anyone else had noticed such a thing.

Goofproof

Re: Does aflex cause leaks?

Post by Goofproof » Wed Nov 05, 2008 2:33 pm

No! Aflex does not raise pressure, pressure causes leaks, along with many other things. Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

looking4zzzz

Post by looking4zzzz » Wed Nov 05, 2008 8:07 pm

I think there is a potential for aflex to cause leaks, in a roundabout way. When I posted my most recent data, Den suggested switching to cflex because my snoring was causing the aflex to try to react, which raised the pressure, which created small leaks, which the aflex tried to respond to by raising the pressure, which caused big leaks. It was starting a cycle that was wreaking havoc for me. His theory was if I switched to cflex, I would get away from that wild cycling.

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Wed Nov 05, 2008 8:30 pm

looking4zzzz wrote:I think there is a potential for aflex to cause leaks, in a roundabout way. When I posted my most recent data, Den suggested switching to cflex because my snoring was causing the aflex to try to react, which raised the pressure, which created small leaks, which the aflex tried to respond to by raising the pressure, which caused big leaks. It was starting a cycle that was wreaking havoc for me. His theory was if I switched to cflex, I would get away from that wild cycling.
I repeat, AFLEX, does not raise pressure, it's a comfort setting. Snoring can cause APAP MODE" to increase pressure because it is trying to stop the snoring. The problem is the pressure increase to stop snoring, can cause more leaks and that makes for more snoring. That is why APAPS need to be set correctly for a top pressure limit.

The question was about AFLEX, not APAP, two completely different things, that just happen to start with a "A". Jim

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

roster

Post by roster » Wed Nov 05, 2008 8:40 pm

ractar28 wrote:I've been using a-flex 3 for most of my time with my new machine and turned off a-flex and c-flex last night to try with steady pressure. It seems like my mask was less prone to leak because of the constant pressure. I haven't whipped out the card yet to check for sure, but wondered if anyone else had noticed such a thing.
OK, Ractar, you stated your Flex settings. What were your pressure settings for each night?

To maintain the same low AHI, I need about 3 cm more pressure with A-Flex setting 3, compared to Flex settings turned off. Eventually became very happy with straight cpap and all Flex turned off.

I have a vision that we will figure out an easy way to ensure that children develop wide, deep, healthy and attractive jaws and then obstructive sleep apnea becomes an obscure bit of history.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ycw4uaX ... re=related

ractar28

Post by ractar28 » Fri Nov 07, 2008 12:47 pm

rooster wrote:OK, Ractar, you stated your Flex settings. What were your pressure settings for each night?

To maintain the same low AHI, I need about 3 cm more pressure with A-Flex setting 3, compared to Flex settings turned off. Eventually became very happy with straight cpap and all Flex turned off.
I'm set at 12-16 and still trying to lose the leaks. Once I get that done, I can dial in the pressure better.

While I realize a-flex is a "comfort setting", but I wasn't sure if the pressure-relief on exhale could cause the air cushion to lose enough pressure to allow the seal against the face to break and then shove at least some air under the air cushion before resealing, rinse and repeat.

nomoore

Post by nomoore » Fri Nov 07, 2008 2:09 pm

Don't know what mask you are using but:

When I first started therapy with my Activa mask a high A-Flex setting combined with a low ramp setting was causing leaks. I have found that, due to the air pillow design, the Activa needs a certain amount of pressure to hold the mask against your face well. With the ramp at 7cm and the A-flex set at 3 the mask didn't have enough pressure to steady the mask against my face unless I was on my back (I'm a side sleeper). C-flex wasn't as bad about it. I think A-flex reduces the pressure for a longer period of time. I upped the ramp pressure and reduced the A-flex setting and didn't have any more problems.

Edit: From your reply post it looks like you just might be using the Activa.

looking4zzzz

Post by looking4zzzz » Fri Nov 07, 2008 4:10 pm

You're right, Goof...I'm sleep deprived and didn't read well... he did say AFlex, not APAP...sorry

DoriC

Post by DoriC » Sun Nov 16, 2008 7:03 pm

Goofproof wrote:
looking4zzzz wrote:I think there is a potential for aflex to cause leaks, in a roundabout way. When I posted my most recent data, Den suggested switching to cflex because my snoring was causing the aflex to try to react, which raised the pressure, which created small leaks, which the aflex tried to respond to by raising the pressure, which caused big leaks. It was starting a cycle that was wreaking havoc for me. His theory was if I switched to cflex, I would get away from that wild cycling.
I repeat, AFLEX, does not raise pressure, it's a comfort setting. Snoring can cause APAP MODE" to increase pressure because it is trying to stop the snoring. The problem is the pressure increase to stop snoring, can cause more leaks and that makes for more snoring. That is why APAPS need to be set correctly for a top pressure limit.

Goof, can you explain further about "setting the top pressure limit correctly" to stop snoring but not more leaks. That seems to be a primary problem for us. Thanks, Dori

"Do or Do Not-There Is No Try"-"Yoda"
"We are what we repeatedly do,so excellence
is not an act but a habit"-"Aristotle"
DEAR HUBBY BEGAN CPAP 9/2/08

CRS

Post by CRS » Sun Nov 16, 2008 8:16 pm

ractar28 wrote:While I realize a-flex is a "comfort setting", but I wasn't sure if the pressure-relief on exhale could cause the air cushion to lose enough pressure to allow the seal against the face to break and then shove at least some air under the air cushion before resealing, rinse and repeat.
I say yes... I have trouble getting the Resmed "hovercraft-type" masks to keep a good seal. The minor deflation of the cushion during flex seems to make the problem worse. Right now I have my machine in auto mode, no ramp, with the minimum pressure set to my titration pressure and both A-flex and C-flex turned off, which seems to help.
M Series Auto w/A-flex, M Series HH, Mirage Liberty hybrid mask, Respironics hose snuggie.

Wulfman

Post by Wulfman » Sun Nov 16, 2008 9:06 pm

I THINK I recommended switching to CPAP mode (single pressure) which would get away from the pressure changes which are the machine's responses to leaking and snoring......which can result in a leaking/pressure changes fiasco. In CPAP mode, you can still use C-Flex for pressure relief, if you want to.
Once a person is within a narrow pressure range, you can select a single pressure and tweak it till you get the right setting.

Den
(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Sun Nov 16, 2008 9:57 pm

DoriC wrote: Goof, can you explain further about "setting the top pressure limit correctly" to stop snoring but not more leaks. That seems to be a primary problem for us. Thanks, Dori
I don't make a big deal about snoring, I have congestion problems, possable made worse by the med's I take. (Heart) Even sitting around the house, if I force breath in I get a rattle snoring noise.

I have found by trial and error, that my upper pressure limit, (Sweet Spot) is 15 cm. If I allow the machine to go higher that 15 cm, my AHI starts back up, also the extra pressure makes leaks worse, so I'd be a fool to let it chase snores higher than 15cm. everyone's pressures are different, but it pays to find your Sweet Spot, and limit your top pressure at that, going higher is just going to cause a train wreck.

I could run my APAP at 12 cm to 15 cm, and all would be fine, most of the time it would be at 14cm to 15 cm, lately I've been doing like Den, (kind of), I leave mine on APAP with C-Flex 1, but I set both pressures at 15 cm. Why do this, in Encore Pro it gives me a flow limitation graph that I don't get in CPAP mode. Treatment is the same, and I like the pressure. I still have snores, but it's just between the machine and me. Jim

DoriC

Post by DoriC » Sun Nov 16, 2008 10:48 pm

OK, Goof, I'm understanding a little bit more about snores, not as important to chase them with higher pressures and have more leaks, right?

Den, You're right, that was exactly your suggestion to my question about straight Cpap at titration pressure of 13 ,and I think that's probably the way to go, but I'm still nervous about changing settings, masks, etc. Afraid to rock the boat because I have no control of what happens during the night and don't want to panic hubby if things don't feel right. I have tried raising the min to 11.5 and 12 for a few nights each and it seemed to raise his pressure almost to the max and more leaking. He's usually been at 12 or 13. So I put it back to 11 tonight . We have a new Quattro but will experiment with naps for a few days so I can see what's happening during the day. Just thought of something, I can experiment with the UMFF on Cpap at 13 for a few naps too. This is hard being the caretaker and not the patient. I think I could have been much further along on this journey if it was just me. But we're not giving up!

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Sun Nov 16, 2008 11:45 pm

Controlling leaks and finding the correct pressure are the answer to good treatment, along with good sleep habits. Jim

The problem there are many paths, we each have to find the best one for us.

DoriC

Post by DoriC » Mon Nov 17, 2008 10:01 am

Update on aflex/cflex question. Strange, but last night I turned off cflex completely, kept everything else the same, settings at 11-15, no ramp, and he had the best night so far. 90% = 12, Leak Rate=45, No LL, No mask indents. Only difference is he just slept 5 hrs then took mask off and slept another 3hrs. He says he doesn't know why he took mask off at 4AM, just used the bathroom, nothing was bothering him, the Dailies look great, so I'm left with nothing to go with as to what caused him to remove the mask. I guess I 'll never know why, but just have to look forward to longer nights just as good as last night. Thanks for being there for me.