Sick with a cold, CPAP making it worse

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
graygables

Sick with a cold, CPAP making it worse

Post by graygables » Tue Nov 18, 2008 12:29 am

I got my annual birthday cold and, as usual, it has settled in my chest. My lungs aren't in pristine condition after having contracted a pretty bad case of histoplasmosis back before it was curable, so these chest things tend to linger and cause terrible, dry coughing spells. I usually put a cool mist vaporizor next to my bed and sleep with my face in the mist, but that doesn't work with silicone shoved up my nose... I cranked up the humidifier on the CPAP last night to no avail, just a bunch of rainout (all hoses are covered in fleece) and horrible coughing. The CPAP seemed to actually make it worse.

I went to the doc today (general doc, SHE called to have me come back in for a CPAP follow up! ) and she said I shouldn't use it when I'm sick b/c it can force the germs deeper into my lungs. Is that true? Should I go back to the Old Lady of the Mist routine for a few weeks?

Goofproof

Re: Sick with a cold, CPAP making it worse

Post by Goofproof » Tue Nov 18, 2008 1:32 am

It sounds like your doctor has a car payment due, and your ins is going to pay it. My colds have been much lighter in length and misery. in two years I haven't even had to resort to a FF Mask! I do take mega vitamins doses starting with 2,000 units of "C" daily! 3,000 when sick.

My choice is use my XPAP or sit up in a chair all night, I've spent one night in a chair, because my mask broke, never again. Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

DreamStalker

Re: Sick with a cold, CPAP making it worse

Post by DreamStalker » Tue Nov 18, 2008 8:19 am

Your doc is a quack and has no idea how your machine works. It is more likely that the histoplasmosis has made your cold worse, not the CPAP .

CPAP only pressurizes the inside of your respiratory system ... it does NOT push stuff in or out ... the act of breathing may push stuff in or out but you can't avoid that and that happens whether you are on CPAP or not. In fact, stuff is less likely to get in using CPAP since there is an air filter you have to breathe through ... you do have an air filter on your machine right?

Try turning down you HH or raising your room temperature to mitigate rainout.

Should you decide not use CPAP, be careful not to become the Dead Lady of the Mist.
President-pretender, J. Biden, said "the DNC has built the largest voter fraud organization in US history". Too bad they didn’t build the smartest voter fraud organization and got caught.