OSA and life insurance

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
LSAT

OSA and life insurance

Post by LSAT » Tue Nov 25, 2008 12:57 pm

Does having OSA affect underwriting on a life insurace application?

Snoredog

Re: OSA and life insurance

Post by Snoredog » Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:01 pm

sure does, even precludes it unless you have a thick wallet.

Ironic ain't it, everyone is going to die at some point.
someday science will catch up to what I'm saying...

stacia123

Post by stacia123 » Tue Nov 25, 2008 5:28 pm

I already gave up on life insurance a few years ago because of my weight and blood pressure, but I did discover several alternative options for small benefits but which require no health screening beforehand. I got listed on my husband's work life insurance plan, which is something like $2/month for a small $7,500 payout. You can also find organizations that offer a small life insurance policy with membership. I think AAA and Farm Bureau have those kinds of life insurance. It's not much but it's better than nothing.

This is all a moot point since I will live forever

sleepycarol

Post by sleepycarol » Tue Nov 25, 2008 8:25 pm

I was turned down for AFLAC insurance -- accident and short term disability due to OSA. Although I have my notice that they are not going to cover me they are still deducting the premiums out of my paycheck.
Start Date: 8/30/2007 Pressure 9 - 15
I am not a doctor or other health care professional. Comments reflect my own personal experiences and opinions.

looking4zzzz

Post by looking4zzzz » Tue Nov 25, 2008 8:32 pm

I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure if they collect premiums for you they are required to cover you, at least for the time they collected premiums. You might want to check on that.

lovey

Post by lovey » Tue Nov 25, 2008 11:03 pm

sleepycarol wrote:I was turned down for AFLAC insurance -- accident and short term disability due to OSA. Although I have my notice that they are not going to cover me they are still deducting the premiums out of my paycheck.
Can they turn you down if you are part of a employer-sponsored group, i.e. out of a paycheck? I thought they couldn't exclude out of an employer's plan. I'd check on the legality of them not covering you when they are taking out premiums. Take care, Lovey
Highest courage is to dare to be yourself in the face of adversity.Choosing right over wrong, ethics over convenience, and truth over popularity. Travel the path of integrity without looking back, for there is never a wrong time to do the right thing.