Only one telephone line into your house?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
nightjar

Re: Only one telephone line into your house?

Post by nightjar » Fri Nov 28, 2008 11:03 pm

needingu wrote:I am still happy with my setup.There is no end to the gadgets we can have. I am not going to try to keep up . Just the things I need to simplify life a bit.
I'm on dialup, too, and I wish there were a similar program for Macs. I suppose one day I'll have broadband.

Old tech is good for lots of things, though. I still have rotary dial phones--good ol' Western Electric ones--and have a bunch of working cassette decks, including one I pulled out of the trash (a nice one, though not as nice as my Nakamichi). On the other hand, I have digital recording equipment, too.

Still, I've resisted the urge to go with broadband. I expect one day soon we'll have broadband, though.

But I'm with you, needingu: I'd prefer fewer gadgets.

nath

WearyOne

Post by WearyOne » Fri Nov 28, 2008 11:20 pm

I love electronics---but I agree, it's good to have some of the older stuff, too. We have broadband, and my husband signed up to where the cable TV, Internet, and home phone are all on that fiber optic cable from the Internet company. Now, every time the cable goes out, all three (including the phone) go out! Thank goodness my office phone is still a regular old plain phone, with plain phone service, and one that's connected to the wall rather than cordless.

Bearded_One

Post by Bearded_One » Sat Nov 29, 2008 6:14 am

A few years ago, we had a hurricane knock out the power here for three days, and I was surprised at how many people only had cordless phones. Even though their phone service was unaffected, their cordless phones didn't work.

tuna

Post by tuna » Sat Nov 29, 2008 7:45 am

Bearded_One wrote:My first modem was a 300 baud DEC modem that I used with my vt100 terminal. I was thrilled to get a 1200 baud Hayes Smartmodem, which cost about $300 at the time.

WOW! That was my first modem as well. Then when the 2400 came out, we were really flying!

HOSEHEADS of America: Striving for that long lost good nights sleep!

racefan

Post by racefan » Sat Nov 29, 2008 9:50 am

needingu wrote:Racefan..you may be right...I hope it will be a big help to all those like me" HI-tech challanged" ..but still want to keep up as much as I can. this allows for a simple way to take advantage of both worlds. I do hope if its disagreeable that it will just disappear but maybe helped one family. I know how badly I needed this. I would not want to trouble anyone.
I suppose there are other connections...at least..you know it can be searched out. I hate unasked for spam as much as
anyone. Sorry if I have over- stepped. Have a Happy Thanksgiving and we do have a lot to be thankful for.Signing off!
I should have looked at your number of posts & realized it was not spam.Sorry.
Why do black tires make white smoke?

needingu

Post by needingu » Sat Nov 29, 2008 11:15 am

No problem! All is well that ends well. It brought out some good response don't you think.. Thanks
When I joined this chatline (Feb 2006) I could not come up with a username..Everything I tried it would say,"already taken" I had just got the cpap and I needed physicological (its a scary world when you think this is forever)as well as instructional help. In desperation I typed in "Needingu" and that got it. All of the newbies and some of 50+ oldies need you knowledgable guys and gals..be patient with us and hang in there. Thanks
We can all be angels to one another. ..., the little whisper that says,Go. Ask. Reach out. The world will be a better place for it. And wherever they are, the angels will dance."

Phreak4u

Post by Phreak4u » Sun Nov 30, 2008 11:37 am

First off a big Hello to everyone..yes I'm a newbie here and found out that I have sleep apnea a week ago...
Anyway, I tend to wonder with all the advancements in technology, why is anyone still using a dial-up source at all?
And if you absolutely have to use is why are you paying for it?....I'm not a spammer so don't think that my asking this is going to lead to my ad appearing next.
With 3g technology now in working order, if you have a cell phone you'll have a broadband connection for your computer, and it doesn't matter if it's a Windows or Mac based OS either. You don't need an air card either to do this just a patch cable from your cell to your computer.
Check into it.

Have a great Sunday all,

Marc

OutaSync

Post by OutaSync » Sun Nov 30, 2008 1:44 pm

Marc,
If you don't mind sharing that info with some of us technologically challenged people, I, for one, would be interested.

Bev

Sleep Study Titrated to 19 cm H2O
Rotating between Activa and Softgel
11/2/07 RemStar M Series Auto with AFlex 14-17
10/17/08 BiPAP Auto SV 13/13-23, BPM Auto, AHI avg <1

Phreak4u

Post by Phreak4u » Sun Nov 30, 2008 1:54 pm

OutaSync wrote:Marc,
If you don't mind sharing that info with some of us technologically challenged people, I, for one, would be interested.

Bev
Hi Bev,

Really it all depends on you cell provider, I use verizon myself, there are other that offer a cell patch cable that will allow you to use your cell as a modem.
I used to use a patch cable for my laptop for when I had to fly out of state, but now I just use an usb air card. Either works well and the choices are unlimited.

Marc

OutaSync

Post by OutaSync » Sun Nov 30, 2008 1:58 pm

I have Verizon, too. Would we be charged cell time for that connection time?

Phreak4u

Post by Phreak4u » Sun Nov 30, 2008 2:23 pm

OutaSync wrote:I have Verizon, too. Would we be charged cell time for that connection time?
No ...it's just like your making a local call... mine connected to an 800 number. which is free too.
Once you get the correct cable for your cell phone it comes with a cd that helps you load up the software and sets up your hardware for use.

Any Verizon store should have what you need or you can go look at the website and order it from there..though you can usually find it cheaper by doing a little research on the net.

Marc

OutaSync

Post by OutaSync » Sun Nov 30, 2008 2:34 pm

Thanks, Marc, I'll check it out.

Bev

Post by Guest » Sun Nov 30, 2008 3:12 pm

Well at least you use the internet, my parents and grandparents don't. I don't even own a landline phone, only a cell phone.