Moderators need some sections

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
jambo101

Moderators need some sections

Post by jambo101 » Sat Nov 29, 2008 5:19 am

Great forum for cpap information Thanks for the info,but from a newbs perspective i think its time to put some different sections in the forum so people can readily access the particular info they are looking for concerning the various aspects of cpap usage. Also an off topic section would be handy for those who are here for unrelated cpap reasons such as accumulating a vast collection of post counts or posting the latest online humor etc.
Remstar Auto M series with A-Flex

Slinky

Re: Moderators need some sections

Post by Slinky » Sat Nov 29, 2008 7:42 am

Nope. This subject is brought up fairly often by newbies. As you most likely are aware, the AASM's apneasupport forum has the various sections and if that format is what you prefer then you may be more comfortable there, visiting here only occasionally.

Every time the subject is brought up the members here roundly and soundly veto the idea much preferring the format as is. And yes, most all of us have or do frequent the apnea support forum on occasion. AND, I've found that a lot of newbies at the apneasupport forum don't start a thread in the "correct" section anyway. Or a thread drifts off topic to what would "better fit" in another section.

Thanks for the suggestion - BUT NO THANKS!

My computer says I need to upgrade my brain to be compatible with its new software.

roster

Post by roster » Sat Nov 29, 2008 7:46 am

When we try to make the best things perfect, we inevitably ruin them.

Leave it alone.

I have a vision that we will figure out an easy way to ensure that children develop wide, deep, healthy and attractive jaws and then obstructive sleep apnea becomes an obscure bit of history.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ycw4uaX ... re=related

Wulfman

Post by Wulfman » Sat Nov 29, 2008 7:51 am

Yep......what Slinky said.
If you like compartmentalized forums..........................this one ain't for you.
If you like your learning about this condition restricted......this one ain't for you.
If you like waiting, and waiting for a reply to a post..........this one ain't for you.
If you like heavy-handed, overly moderated forums...........this one ain't for you.

But....if you are willing to accept all of the advantages.......this one MAY BE for you.

Den
(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

ozij

Post by ozij » Sat Nov 29, 2008 8:32 am

And then, we have lovingly and carefully put a lot of the basic info needed by newbie, arranged by sections, in the yellow light bulb on top of the screen:

our-collective-cpap-wisdom.php

Happy reading.
O.

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Good advice is compromised by missing data
Forum member Dog Slobber Nov. 2023

sleepyangler

Post by sleepyangler » Sat Nov 29, 2008 8:38 am

Amen Wulfman, a freakin men! This place may appear to be a little disorganized at first, especially compared to the more regimented AASM forum site, however the info and help is top notch.

Slinky

Post by Slinky » Sat Nov 29, 2008 9:07 am

Good point, Ozij!!! About the basic info arranged by sections in the yellow light bulb on top of the screen.

My computer says I need to upgrade my brain to be compatible with its new software.

sleepycarol

Post by sleepycarol » Sat Nov 29, 2008 9:23 am

Leave it alone.

I have read topics that I wouldn't otherwise have found and have found help in unexpected places -- because we do stray from the topic occasionally doesn't mean that someone doesn't need that particular help, idea, etc. I read the threads about the different machines -- that way I will be knowledgeable when I have to get a new one. I read the threads about various masks and can determine if I want to try that one or pass. The list goes on. If it was seperated out into different sections I might not take that inititative.

As far as off topic posts I have came to view this forum kind of like a second family. I like hearing the great news others have, I can send prayers to those that need them when the need arises, it makes the forum seem more personal and alive in my opinion. These are REAL people helping each other!! Each has their own personality and identity.

As a newbie and even now, I have sometimes felt a little hurt by some of the more caustic post -- but you know what -- we ARE family and what family NEVER hits those bumps in the road. If one truly cares about each other their will be disagreements at times. It happens -- you go on and forgive each other.

The humor post can brighten ones day if you allow it to. I don't know how many times I have read these posts and they have made me smile and sometimes downright laugh.
Start Date: 8/30/2007 Pressure 9 - 15
I am not a doctor or other health care professional. Comments reflect my own personal experiences and opinions.

jambo101

Post by jambo101 » Sat Nov 29, 2008 9:30 am

OOOOOOKKKKAAAAyyy..We wont go there

Slinky thanks for the heads up on AASM's apneasupport forum
Remstar Auto M series with A-Flex

Slinky

Post by Slinky » Sat Nov 29, 2008 10:43 am

Yer welcome. TAS also has a good forum w/some EXCELLENT links if you bother to check them out. talkaboutsleep.com/message-boards

But you'll find this forum is tops for openness and exchange of ideas w/no restrictions to speak of and BUSY so usually faster replies when you have a problem.

There's a lot to be garnered from all 3 forums.

WearyOne

Post by WearyOne » Sat Nov 29, 2008 11:10 am

I think there are pluses and minuses with both types of forum formats, but I'll have to agree with others who have said if you want quick answers, come here. I was a member of four sleep forums at one time. One is not up any longer. TAS (Talk about Sleep) message boards are great, and I originally joined it because it covers a range of sleep disorders, not just OSA, and I was at that time researching my son's sleep issue, which is not OSA. Apnea Support Forum isn't bad either, although some find their forum rules rather restricting. I have researched other forums than what I've listed, and sometimes it has been DAYS since the last post, so those, obviously, wouldn't be very helpful, and I never even joined.

I know when I was really green at this, I wanted--no, needed--answers fast, and this is where I found those fast answers, help, and support. Quick responses are important when struggling with something.

The bottom line is I'm just looking to get good helpful support and information, as well as give it when I can---and at this point, I haven't found a better place than here (even with the occasional, ahem, not so nice posts! ).

Pam

nightjar

Post by nightjar » Sat Nov 29, 2008 12:10 pm

jambo101 wrote:readily access the particular info they are looking for concerning the various aspects of cpap usage
It does seem a bit jumbled here, jambo101, probably because it is.

On the other hand, there really are SO many posts in this forum, and so many knowledgeable people with various sleep experiences, that it really is a treasure trove of information.

One of the other great things about it is the search function--not to mention the advanced search function. I've always found something that deals with whatever question I have at the time.

I haven't spent much time at the other forums, so I really can't say what they're like. But it's hard to imagine that they have as much real-life information to offer newbies or long-time cpap users as this forum does.

Still, it's good to know the other forums are there. If you can't find what you need one place, one of the other forums might help.

Hope you stick around despite the seeming chaos here!

nath

kteague

Post by kteague » Sat Nov 29, 2008 12:21 pm

As with everything, life and reading styles are run the gamut. Some come here very focused for just-the-facts info. Others come for an overall understanding of all things cpap, others for support in their journey. Just to satisfy my own curiosity, I just glanced at several posts from the newly diagnosed, and many of them contained multiple topic questions. If I were a newbie and had to post all my questions separately in different categories and then follow them, I might be deterred.

It really is just a matter of preference, no one is necessarily right or wrong in what format is most suitable for them. Jambo, I think I saw in one of your early posts a mention of being practical and frugal, so maybe that translates into things being logically compartmentalized more to your liking. Sure hope the radomized style of this forum doesn't put you off enough to avoid it altogether. Once in a while I venture to the other sites and look around, even though I don't prefer the segmentation. There's room for us all.
Kathy

MusicMan

Post by MusicMan » Sat Nov 29, 2008 12:28 pm

jambo101 wrote:Great forum for cpap information Thanks for the info,but from a newbs perspective i think its time to put some different sections in the forum so people can readily access the particular info they are looking for concerning the various aspects of cpap usage. Also an off topic section would be handy for those who are here for unrelated cpap reasons such as accumulating a vast collection of post counts or posting the latest online humor etc.
Be forewarned that some of the long-time posters can be a little protective of the format, and rightfully so. A lot of group-think went into how it landed.

As for me, I'm not gonna suggest any changes till I've been here a year or two. Even then, I fully expect to get chewed out for suggesting it.

So, again, I applaud the thought. I'm just saying "duck" as a heads-up. I think I saw some eggs and tomatoes being passed around in the front row, and there's no chicken-wire in front of this stage.

DoriC

Post by DoriC » Sat Nov 29, 2008 12:42 pm

I hope this is not a duplicate post, either it's me or my computer. I LOVE this forum, since I am a newbie to computers as well as forums. This forum is so easy to figure out, and it has saved my husband's life and my sanity. All my questions are answered ASAP and even answers to questions I didn't know enough to ask. If this were in sections or whatever, I would have missed so much information and my questions would have been missed by so many of the "pros". Leave "my" forum alone, thank you very much.

"Do or Do Not-There Is No Try"-"Yoda"
"We are what we repeatedly do,so excellence
is not an act but a habit"-"Aristotle"
DEAR HUBBY BEGAN CPAP 9/2/08