Average Age Sleep Apnea is Diagnosed?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Phreak4u

Average Age Sleep Apnea is Diagnosed?

Post by Phreak4u » Sun Nov 30, 2008 1:36 pm

I am trying to learn more about this apnea and what I can or cannot do with it?

roster

Re: Average Age Sleep Apnea is Diagnosed?

Post by roster » Sun Nov 30, 2008 2:23 pm

Phreak4u wrote:Average Age Sleep Apnea is Diagnosed?
This is changing rapidly.

The history has been you suffered and made it to the grave without knowing what killed you.

Recently it has been 20 to 30 years of suffering before it was diagnosed.

More recently, I am very glad to see children and people in their 20s being diagnosed.

I have a vision that we will figure out an easy way to ensure that children develop wide, deep, healthy and attractive jaws and then obstructive sleep apnea becomes an obscure bit of history.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ycw4uaX ... re=related

GumbyCT

Post by GumbyCT » Sun Nov 30, 2008 2:37 pm

Phreak4u wrote:I am trying to learn more about this apnea and what I can or cannot do with it?
Treat it before it treats you.

I have no doubt, how I sleep affects every waking moment.
I am making progress-NOW I remember that I can't remember
;)
If this isn’t rocket science why are there so many spaceshots?
Be your own healthcare advocate!

OutaSync

Post by OutaSync » Sun Nov 30, 2008 2:41 pm

Welcome to the forum, Marc!

There is all kinds of information about all aspects of sleep apnea on this board. When I first found it I read for days and days, just trying to let it all sink in. There are so many nice people here who will go out of their way to help you with any problem or question yo may have.

As to your question, I was diagnosed last year at the age of 52. Pretty sure I've had it most of my life. My daughter was also diagnosed last year at the age of 27. The younger you get treatment the better for you brain and heart.

Bev

Sleep Study Titrated to 19 cm H2O
Rotating between Activa and Softgel
11/2/07 RemStar M Series Auto with AFlex 14-17
10/17/08 BiPAP Auto SV 13/13-23, BPM Auto, AHI avg <1

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Sun Nov 30, 2008 3:04 pm

It's hard to tell, the job I had took a heavy toll on sleep & health, I can see signs of Sleep Apnea for 10 to 15 years before my heart failure knocked me down, the last five years even more so. As we age, the wear plies up, until we find we can't climb to the top of the mountain anymore. That's when I took early retirement. As it turned out, maybe I should have taken a earlier retirement.

The good news is with the correct treatment, we can stop killing ourselves by inches, and recover what we can from the rest of our lives. It doesn't make any sense not to embrace XPAP treatment. jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

Shellie_p

Post by Shellie_p » Sun Nov 30, 2008 9:34 pm

I was diagnosed at 27.. I am now 40.
Like any other condition/disease early treatment saves you from a miriad of worsening complications. I know my apnea reared it ugly head BAD when I was pregnant with my youngest. It had never really caused isues till that pregnancy. And the guilt I go through wondering how much of his health issues/conditions that he might have not had if my apnea had been caught and diagnosed earlier is something I wouldnt wish on anyone else. The memory issues I still suffer from could have been avoided also.

My daughters 16 and I am having her tested. I wanted to get my oldest son tested but he no longer has insurance. I tried to get him a sleep test before he turned 18 and my insurance no longer covered him but the long wait times for the sleep labs, he didnt get it. Plus he fought me causing the test to be reschedualed once.
Cause I KNOW by watching the 2 kids sleep they have apnea its just a question of is it bad enough to start treatments or not.

Julie

Post by Julie » Sun Nov 30, 2008 9:42 pm

As to what you can and cannot do, there are no real limits except those the symptoms put on you. I don't know anyone who's been told by their doc to not do something or other (unless they also had other conditions which precluded the activities).

Shellie_p

Post by Shellie_p » Sun Nov 30, 2008 11:33 pm

13+ plus years of CPAP use I have only had one thing that I have been stopped from doing because of my APNEA. And that is random napping in the car, couch family members couch on holidays, etc.

I learned real early that advance planning is needed, example we had went to a nearby city for a concert. 3 hour drive one way by the time the concert was over and we had spent almost 2 hours getting out of the parking. We decided to stay the night in a local motel. But had not planned for this so I had no CPAP no clean clothes etc. So now if go anywhere outside a 50 miles range I carry a spare bag with a change of clothes, My CPAP etc. Even when I go to the emergency room I take my CPAP, cause I learned from experience if I don't I will need it. And have to send my BF back home to fetch it.

I would say that making sure my apnea was treated has allowed me to do WAY more then I could of if I left it untreated. I am much more allert, focused etc.

Actually I probably would be dead by now if it had been untreated as I just underwent 3 angioplastys in the last 3 months to fix heart blockages. Had my apnea been untreated I probably woulda had heart attacks/strokes and been dead years ago.

But stop me from doing anything? Not a chance. I have changed the way I deal and plan with things to adapt for my comfort/needs but most people do that more as they age and are used to a certain comfort level anyhow.
You can get batteries for camping, adapters for other countries electrical, Humidifiers, hundreds of different masks, heated hoses. Scent therapy, pad a cheeks for mask marks you name it. Treating apnea only stops you from doing things if YOU LET IT.

Phreak4u

Post by Phreak4u » Sun Nov 30, 2008 11:47 pm

Well I guess I was worried about nothing, judging by all you all's posts. Thank You all so much for replying and your words of wisdom. I guess for the most part I was worried that I would have to give up flying due to the FAA regulations. But now I know that it isn't anything that can ground me. I truly love flying heli's and have been a pilot for over 30 years. I think it would kill me if I couldn't do it anymore.

Thanks Again All,

Marcus

kteague

Post by kteague » Mon Dec 01, 2008 12:06 am

Marcus, there are tests out there that can determine your level of alertness, should you want or need to know. There are some used to test drivers, and a sleep test that sees how long you can stay awake in a dark room with no stimulus, etc. Anyone who operates a motor vehicle should want to know they are not a danger to themselves and others, so compliance with cpap is a must. I don't know FAA regs, but if it ever comes to it, proving compliance should be helpful and if necessary, passing alertness tests.

I was first told by a doctor they thought I had sleep apnea in 1996, but it was at age 54 in 2005 before it was picked up on studies. Seems to be a lot of younger folks on this forum. That's progress. I really think had I had treatment 10 years sooner my lifestyle would have barely skipped a beat.

Phreak4u

Post by Phreak4u » Mon Dec 01, 2008 12:36 am

kteague wrote:Marcus, there are tests out there that can determine your level of alertness, should you want or need to know. There are some used to test drivers, and a sleep test that sees how long you can stay awake in a dark room with no stimulus, etc. Anyone who operates a motor vehicle should want to know they are not a danger to themselves and others, so compliance with cpap is a must. I don't know FAA regs, but if it ever comes to it, proving compliance should be helpful and if necessary, passing alertness tests.

I was first told by a doctor they thought I had sleep apnea in 1996, but it was at age 54 in 2005 before it was picked up on studies. Seems to be a lot of younger folks on this forum. That's progress. I really think had I had treatment 10 years sooner my lifestyle would have barely skipped a beat.
Hmmm good to know, I will check into that. I had a sleep study done last Sunday 11/23/08 and I have my 2nd one scheduled for 12/7/08. I have had my equipment for a almost 2 weeks now and I have noticed a major change in the way I feel when I wake up. I don't feel tired at all I don't have the urge to nap during the day and my alertness and response time have increased quite a bit! I went to Kansas City to pick up my son and fly him back to Omaha for turkey day and prior to that I would have the urge to sit down about a half hour into the flight and nap for a bit. (I actually did once in St Joseph, Mo) The flight time by helicopter is only 1hour and 10 minutes at 130kts (2 hrs 45 mins by car @ 75mph) Anyway I flew down on Wednesday and back and had no desire to sleep what-so-ever. Which by my standards is a great improvement. Even my son noticed a drastic change in my flying, and my control. So I think that yes the alertness test will be a good idea, if nothing else it will give me peace of mind knowing that my aircraft and passengers as well as myself are in excellent and capable hands during my future flights.
Thank You for your post,

Marc

Paul56

Post by Paul56 » Mon Dec 01, 2008 5:14 am

I was diagnosed and been under therapy this year when I turned 52.

Suspect I've had the condition for a while... maybe 5 years but at the early stages it was a very mild form. In recent years I know it has gotten a whole lot worse as I've had trouble staying alert on long trips, get very sleeping mid-afternoon and could hit the sac at 8pm feeling little difference in the morning. Getting diagnosed and under therapy has been a life changing event for me this year.

In my case what is really scary is that during the time I know I've had sleep apnea I used to drive tractor-trailer all across Canada/United States. I was not aware that I had the condition at the time nor was my Doctor. I am now back to driving a desk and quite pleased about that for several reasons.

fortomorrow

Post by fortomorrow » Mon Dec 01, 2008 9:22 am

I suspected it about 5 years ago, but was told by Kaiser that I didn't have it (based on the results of an overnight oximetry). I pushed the issue again this year due to excessive sleepiness and because I'd gained 40lbs since the last time. Diagnosed in August at the age of 31. I'm having gastric bypass surgery next month so I'm going to be very curious to see if it gets better or goes away - and if it doesn't, I'm okay with that.

Arthurs

Post by Arthurs » Mon Dec 01, 2008 11:49 pm

Marc,

Wasn't it a pilot who fell asleep on a Go flight that overshot Kona, HI, that was later diagnosed with SA? I believe he continues to fly planes today, and uses a CPAP machine now for his treatment. I can't imagine you not being able to continue doing what you love, while getting the proper treatment so you stay awake flying that machine!

Arthur

Dirklee33

Post by Dirklee33 » Thu Oct 27, 2016 7:05 pm

I've been on a CPAP Auto Machine for about 2 years. I am almost 50. I used to hate it and was scared of it at first. However, now I can't even take a nap without it. It also helps me sleep a solid 7 or 8 hours. You just have to get used to the mask or nasal application. Mine is a face mask. I have a special pillow that helps anchor my head and face in position for sleep.
I now have to have it anytime or anywhere I go, when I sleep. Mine is Fisher and Packel. Insurance would not pay a dime. It cost my over $1,000.