Resmed Stock-Time to jump in?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
randyd501

Resmed Stock-Time to jump in?

Post by randyd501 » Thu Dec 25, 2008 8:25 am

Ok, Peter Lynch the renowned money manager always said to invest in things you know...
Resmed stock is down this year along with the stock market. With sleep apnea diagnosis growing and people become more acceptable to treatment do you thing this company is worth investing in?
It was a top 10 pick by Smart Money magazine this month.
Zacks Releases Four Powerful ''Buy'' Stocks: ResMed, DeVry, Questor Pharmaceuticals and Carter's

CHICAGO--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Four free stock picks are being made available today on Zacks.com. The industry’s leading independent research firm highlights one Zacks #1 Rank Strong Buy or a Zacks #2 Rank Buy stock for each of the four main styles of investing: Aggressive Growth, Growth & Income, Momentum, and Value.

The four highlighted picks are: ResMed Inc. (NYSE: RMD), DeVry Inc. (NYSE: DV), Questor Pharmaceuticals Inc. (Nasdaq: QCOR) and Carter's, Inc. (NYSE: CRI).

Today, Zacks is promoting its ''Buy'' stock recommendations. Four daily picks are offered free at http://at.zacks.com/?id=88

Zacks #1 Rank Stocks have nearly tripled the S&P 500 since 1988, producing an average annual return of +30%. Performance has been notable even during volatile and down times. For example, during the last bear market, 2000-2002, the market tumbled -37.6% – but Zacks #1 Rank stocks gained +43.8%.

Here is a summary of today's selected stocks that are now highly rated by Zacks:

Aggressive Growth – ResMed Inc. (NYSE: RMD)

ResMed announced record quarterly revenues and income. Shares are enticing as they trade at a discount to the industry averages.

jnk

Re: Resmed Stock-Time to jump in?

Post by jnk » Thu Dec 25, 2008 9:53 am

My top pick for a place to put your money in 2009 would be "under your mattress."

JeffH

Post by JeffH » Thu Dec 25, 2008 10:44 am

I can't remember which guy it is, but one of the national sports announcers has become rich shorting the stocks that get talked up by the big boys. In other words, when they talk up a stock, he bets it's on it's way down and buys accordingly....FWIW.

JeffH

Slinky

Post by Slinky » Thu Dec 25, 2008 11:11 am

Yep, usually the time to buy is BEFORE the big guys recommend it. Once they recommend it everybody and their brother jumps in to buy it driving the price up and when it stops climbing the majority of these buyers sell out. Meanwhile a good many of them bought at an inflated price over what the stock is really worth.

On the other hand, IF one has any extra money they can AFFORD to invest NOW is still a GOOD time to buy for the long haul whilst stock prices are still artificially down from their true value. I was still working in, what was it? 1987? and I went into a frenzy of buying each month. Wasn't able to put much in but I bought what I could. LOVED it! I wish I had some extra money now!! *sigh* I was tempted to use a couple of CDs when they came due, but hubby says at 70 he doesn't want me to do that given the GM situation. *sigh* I'm SURE he is right, but ..... If GM fails we are in a WORLD OF HURT!!

My computer says I need to upgrade my brain to be compatible with its new software.

Wulfman

Post by Wulfman » Thu Dec 25, 2008 11:16 am

Is this a commercial for Zacks?

ResMed isn't a stock I'd invest in. Here's their 5-year chart:

http://finance.yahoo.com/echarts?s=RMD# ... =undefined

I've been saying for a couple of years that Chinese-made machines are going to be finding their way into the US.....and, as the number of sleep apnea patients increase, the "medical" criteria may loosen......I also foresee more (financial) problems coming for the big "brick & mortar" companies.

And, furthermore.......there ain't no way I'd be putting my money INTO the market at THIS time. I've been putting all of mine into just plain old "savings-type" accounts (for years). I get reports periodically with a list of the mutual funds that the employees (where I work) can invest in.......and all the mutual funds are in the (double-digit) negative earnings percentages......with only the non-market (savings) group in the positive range. It's a little better than "under the mattress", but at least I'm not losing my "principle" amount along with the interest like those in the mutual funds are doing.

Den
(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

jnk

Post by jnk » Thu Dec 25, 2008 12:14 pm

Here is one school of thought: The average joe will never be able to play any of the market-timing games and come out on top, since we don't get the same information that the big boys do, and we never will, so we are at a marked disadvantage in those games. If you buy a stock, buy a boring one that isn't being talked about , one that has a long history of paying good dividends, and then hold onto it forever--that way if any money is made, YOU make it, not some broker.

Slinky

Post by Slinky » Thu Dec 25, 2008 9:47 pm

I agree, jnk.

Now, if we are so darned smart why the hale ain't we rich???

My computer says I need to upgrade my brain to be compatible with its new software.

jnk

Post by jnk » Thu Dec 25, 2008 10:55 pm

Slinky wrote:I agree, jnk.

Now, if we are so darned smart why the hale ain't we rich???

Perhaps in all the ways that truly matter, we are, Slinky. I can't imagine anyone having more friends than you do!

Besides, if we had any money, we'd just worry about making sure we were investing it properly. Then we'd worry about someone taking it from us. Then we'd worry about making sure it went to the people we wanted it to go to. Maybe we're better off not having to worry about all that. Right?

Going out of town till Tuesday. Have a good weekend.

jeff

kopoloff

Post by kopoloff » Fri Dec 26, 2008 2:27 am

I reckon that Resmed might not be such a good buy now that their revenue is taking a hit because their software is being passed around freely

k

GaryGarland

Post by GaryGarland » Fri Dec 26, 2008 8:14 am

Warren Buffet (you know, the oracle of omaha) says now's a great time to invest - with a minimum holding period of...forever.
if you've got some spare scratch i think you'd do great putting it into something SOLID as soon as possible, and hold onto it for at least a few years.
per buffet, be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. right now folks are scared...
just my .02, to be parlayed into at least .05

Slinky

Post by Slinky » Fri Dec 26, 2008 8:49 am

And you think that Respironic's software isn't?? In addition to which, we are a miniscule "market" for "direct purchase" of the software OR devices. The "professionals", the DME suppliers & sleep labs, are their biggest "customers".

jnk, I suspect that again you are so very right. I've never had enough money to worry about someone taking it from me or its disappearing on me (it does that all the time so its just a fact of life = it goes out easier than it comes in).

freepostg

Post by freepostg » Fri Dec 26, 2008 8:51 am

BUY OIL!

Post by Guest » Fri Dec 26, 2008 12:01 pm

I laughed when I saw the comment about Chinese CPAP machines. Tell me it isn't so!
There isn't the remotest chance I would ever buy one.
I just bought a ceiling kitchen light which was made in China for under $20. I guess that is what it was worth. One light failed to light. I took the light apart and they forgot to strip one white wire. Then I put it on the ceiling. One mounting stud is about a quarter inch too short. Now, you want me to use a Chinese CPAP machine?> Give your head a shake!
Dean in Canada

carlitguy

Post by carlitguy » Fri Dec 26, 2008 12:03 pm

oOoops!
That was me. I forgot to log in!
Dean in Canada

packitin

Post by packitin » Fri Dec 26, 2008 12:50 pm

deleted
Last edited by packitin on Mon Jul 05, 2010 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Resmed Vauto S Bilevel
Airfit n30