Power went out at 1AM

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
elader

Power went out at 1AM

Post by elader » Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:56 am

OK, well I know what happens now when I have a power failure at 2AM and I am sleeping with my quattro FF mask on. ....

I wake up. Definitely an unpleasant, 'why am I choking', sort of experience.

Violet

Re: Power went out at 1AM

Post by Violet » Wed Jan 07, 2009 12:45 pm

Yikes! For me, second to worst fear, especially worsened due to Poli strips and tape on mouth.

Thankfully, my smoke/co detectors BEEP once loudly when power goes off and I always wake up from that, so I'll know instantly what's happening as I'm choking.

jnk

Post by jnk » Wed Jan 07, 2009 1:04 pm

elader wrote:Re: Power went out at 1AM

OK, well I know what happens now when I have a power failure at 2AM and I am sleeping with my quattro FF mask on. ....

I wake up. Definitely an unpleasant, 'why am I choking', sort of experience.
I'm glad you lasted the whole hour!

ChrisC

Post by ChrisC » Wed Jan 07, 2009 1:17 pm

Do units have battery backups, or is it worth picking up a UPS power supply in case of power outages? I've got a few of the 'battery packs' that I use for jump starting cars - I've used them when camping for running small appliances. Would they be sufficient to power a CPAP machine too?

-- Douglas Adams

rested gal

Post by rested gal » Wed Jan 07, 2009 1:30 pm

ResMed S9 VPAP Auto (ASV)
Humidifier: Integrated + Climate Control hose
Mask: Aeiomed Headrest (deconstructed, with homemade straps
3M painters tape over mouth
ALL LINKS by rested gal:
viewtopic.php?t=17435

ChrisC

Post by ChrisC » Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:20 pm

Sorry.. was being "that guy" that doesn't search before posting

-- Douglas Adams

jnk

Post by jnk » Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:47 pm

ChrisC wrote:Sorry.. was being "that guy" that doesn't search before posting
No need to apologize. For one thing, we've all been "that guy." And for another, your post gave the amazing rested gal another oportunity to post one of her fantastic link collections that many passing by here will benefit from. But I hear ya, ChrisC--it can be disconcerting to get that good of an answer to a question, can't it?

elader

Post by elader » Wed Jan 07, 2009 6:17 pm

ah I get slammed for a typo. Anyway, the ff masks have some sort of safety valve- no danger - just not great.

I would be more worried about a long power failure. I plan on the deep cycle marine battery and trickle charger in the spring.

JeffH

Post by JeffH » Wed Jan 07, 2009 6:49 pm

I'm always awake as the blower on my machine is winding down when the power goes out. I know the instant my air way isn't being splinted open with air.

JeffH

mdpooch

Post by mdpooch » Wed Jan 07, 2009 7:28 pm

hmmmm I wonder if you looked like a goldfish with puckered up lips when you woke up......LOL

rubberchimp

Post by rubberchimp » Wed Jan 07, 2009 7:41 pm

I always worried about power loss while on CPAP, but when it eventually happened, I just woke up vaguely feeling like I needed more air and pulled the mask off while still half-asleep. Simple - no choking or suffocating sensation. Maybe my reaction to shortness of breath has been dampened somewhat by asthma.

When I woke up, I was initially puzzled by how my mask had ended up sitting neatly on the pillow next to me but I soon recalled what I'd done

jnk

Post by jnk » Wed Jan 07, 2009 7:46 pm

elader wrote: . . . slammed for a typo. . . .
It's just one more nice thing about your posts--even the typos are entertaining!

Debjax

Post by Debjax » Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:24 pm

ChrisC wrote:Do units have battery backups, or is it worth picking up a UPS power supply in case of power outages? I've got a few of the 'battery packs' that I use for jump starting cars - I've used them when camping for running small appliances. Would they be sufficient to power a CPAP machine too?
I have mine on a UPS. If the power goes out, I'll have a few minutes before the UPS shuts down, and it will definitely wake me up with that annoying beep.

I'm still hot....it just comes in flashes...
iMob Friend Code - 179-961-093

elader

Post by elader » Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:29 pm

jnk wrote:
elader wrote: . . . slammed for a typo. . . .
It's just one more nice thing about your posts--even the typos are entertaining!
Well you know, I have been on forums for years and years. I find that if I can express myself with humor, people have less chance of somehow misreading my intent. I am actually amazed that for a forum full of people so interested in helping others (or being helped), we have a fair share of angst here

But let's not get into the whole cow nipple lubricant thing again...

jnk

Post by jnk » Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:58 pm

elader wrote: ...let's not get into the whole cow nipple lubricant thing again...
Well said. You know, you're particularly gifted at the informative-with-humor thing. I like your style. Whereas I, on the other hand, do sometimes cross the line. (Like that time. Sorry. ) I wish I could promise the board that I will behave in the future, but I know myself too well.