C-Pap use during a severe cold

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
David Kent

C-Pap use during a severe cold

Post by David Kent » Sun Jan 11, 2009 9:47 pm

I have heard that using a cpap while suffering a a severe cold is not suggested. I have been on a cpap for 15 years and have used it every night, but now I am told that if I have a cold I should not use it!!! Right or wrong???

nate fry

Re: C-Pap use during a severe cold

Post by nate fry » Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:21 pm

Just use some afrin for a few days. It works wonders. Just don't get hooked.
Nate

papdad

Post by papdad » Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:29 pm

David
There was a recent thread on this very subject which you might find interesting. Believe it was entitled "DME advise: is it true?" Do a search for and read that thread.
Norm

Edit: I just searched with the above thread title and did not find it. Will search again. Norm
Last edited by papdad on Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ResMed VPAP Auto 25 - HumidAire 4i - Mirage Quattro FF - Invacare Platinum XL & Homefill II

sam1234

Post by sam1234 » Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:32 pm

I don't see how you could not use it. I have found that I have not always used the humidifier(most of the time), but I always do when I have a cold. The only thing that I would suggest is to wash the mask every morning with soap and water.

I too am a long time "user" of a CPAP.

papdad

Post by papdad » Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:37 pm

ResMed VPAP Auto 25 - HumidAire 4i - Mirage Quattro FF - Invacare Platinum XL & Homefill II

wordlife15

Post by wordlife15 » Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:59 pm

I can say from having a terrible cold about 6 weeks ago, that using CPAP while suffering from a cold is next to impossible. My nose was so congested that breathing under any circumstances was difficult, let alone with a CPAP mask on. Try theraflu severe cold remedy for some relief. Good luck.

CorgiGirl

Post by CorgiGirl » Mon Jan 12, 2009 1:15 am

I think this is one of those things where it's different for everyone and you have to figure out what works for you. My husband has no problem using his APAP with a cold, but I could not use it until my cough was gone because the pressure aggravated my cough reflex. I figured that some sleep without the mask was better than no sleep with it and my doc concurred. Next time I plan to use some Tesselon Perles which helps to stop the cough reflex to see if that helps.

Machine: Respironics M series Auto with A-Flex
Humidifier: Respironics M series Heated Humidifier
Software: Encore Viewer

ColinP

Post by ColinP » Mon Jan 12, 2009 3:04 am

I've found that if my nose if blocked, a few minutes on the hose is enough to clear it, and I sleep well after that. If I'm coughing, I need humidity or else my throat tickles. Luckily I've not had a really bad cough since I started CPAP.

Hawthorne

Post by Hawthorne » Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:51 am

I have been using a cpap machine for 6+ years now and have had my share of colds and coughs in that time.

I have used my cpap every night, even when I have a bad cold. I find I feel better when I get on the machine at night during a cold. I do set the humidity level some higher and I take "cough and cold" medication during the day. This seems to keep the cough reflex quiet all night.

I do wash my mask,especially, more often during a cold or flu bout.

I hope I keep having such success! I think everyone is different when it comes to this situation.

Additional Comments:  Backups- FX Nano masks. Backup machine- Airmini auto travel cpap

skittles

Post by skittles » Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:05 am

I use my FFM during a severe cold, so the clogged nose does not bother me.

I just got rid of a 2 week cold, with Zyrtec D as prescribed by my doctor - it worked very well for the congestion.

Good luck

Skittles
The world is full of doubt, indeed, but fuller still of hope.

elader

Post by elader » Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:18 am

Just got over a head cold - nasal rinse twice a day, afrin at light so I could breathe. I use a full face mask. My biggest problem was coughing in the mask - It really sucks to have a coughing fit in a FF mask. One night, for the first time since I have been on cpap, I slept half the night without it. Other nights, just miserable quality of sleep anyway.

I was convinced I would never get another head cold with nasal rinses, but viruses are sly beasties.