Who In The Forum Is Diabetic ???

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
jennmary

Re: Who In The Forum Is Diabetic ???

Post by jennmary » Thu Apr 05, 2018 1:43 pm

From what my surgeon told me it is a phenomenon that happens with gastric bypass (not with the sleeve or the band). This is the primary reason I chose the RNY gastric bypass over other weight loss surgeries. It is only effective for type 2.

This is a quote from a story I found talking about it.

Here's how it works: After gastric bypass, which is a common weight loss solution for the severely obese, the small intestine spontaneously begins to produce a molecule called GLUT-1 that helps the body use glucose.

“The quite amazing thing is that this is not present normally in the small intestine of adults, but only in the fetus,” said Dr. Erini Nestoridi, a research fellow in Stylopoulos' lab, in an interview with Healthline. “This happens most likely because the intestine has to work harder to do its job, for example to absorb the nutrients or move the food further down. Also, it may be that the mechanical stress of 'dumping' the food directly to the intestine, since the stomach is bypassed, contributes to these changes.”
Although weight loss and improved diabetes symptoms go hand in hand, previous research has shown that gastric bypass surgery helps resolve the disease even before weight loss occurs.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Thu Apr 05, 2018 4:17 pm

Bypass surgery immediately LIMITS the quantity of food one can eat.
That alone should affect metabolism, drastically.
Has there been INDEPENDENT study about the GLUT-1 molecule?
Perhaps it could be synthesized--or triggered WITHOUT expensive carving.

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Thu Apr 05, 2018 4:49 pm

I"ll take 10 gallons of GLUT-1 to go with a side of Fries! :lol: Jim

Hold the knives.....
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

jennmary

Post by jennmary » Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:59 pm

"expensive carving"

Cute.

Fact.....surgery is not for everyone. But it is a fantastic tool for many people.

I went on a liquid 500 calorie a day diet for 2 weeks prior to surgery. My blood sugar still never got to normal levels, even with insulin. So it isn't just a reduction in food that causes the reversal of type 2 diabetes.

jennmary

Post by jennmary » Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:02 pm

https://www.healthline.com/health-news/ ... tes-072913

There is the story I took the quote from.

There have been independent studies and there are currently others underway to figure out how to duplicate the reversal of Type 2 diabetes in patients who do not want or need weight loss surgery.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:15 am

I will be sneaking pork rinds into the movies today--supremely yummy and NO CARBS!
It's NOT FAIR the "carbage" available everywhere--but no alternatives.

D.H.

Post by D.H. » Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:53 am

Slinky wrote:
Tue Feb 03, 2009 2:10 pm
Amazing! For gawd's sake we got better medical care 40 years ago than we do now!!! At least in my experience!
Really? CPAP was newly invented around that time. Sleep Apnea was only diagnosed in those who were in immediate danger of suffocating in their Sleep from SA. The "gold standard" for treating SA at that time was tracheostomy. The connection between SA and diabetes (either type), high blood pressure, of cardiac risk was not known!

Uff Da

Post by Uff Da » Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:42 pm

Slinky wrote:
Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:25 am
I'd like to hear from our diabetic members just how they were educated, instructed and trained to monitor their diabetis including insulin shots if necessary.

WHO did the educating and training?
I was (mis)diagnosed as type 2 diabetic at age 70 in 2011 by my PCP with a fasting blood glucose of 289 and an A1c of 11.5. She gave me a sample diet to follow. I tried it for two days and my BG shot up to 548 both days. I ended up going to the emergency room, where they lowered it and sent me home after about 6 hours, telling me to see my doctor again by the end of the week. Needless to say, I dropped her silly sample diet idea in favor of my own, which had been lower in carbs than hers all along. She put me on type 2 oral meds, and sent me for a one-hour consultation with a nutritionist. That was largely a waste of time, as much of the time was spent on such things as how to read food labels and the like - things I had been teaching my junior high home economics students some 15 years earlier before I retired.

In spite of the type 2 oral drugs she had me on, I had to drastically curb carbs and calories to keep my A1c at or under 7.0. It wasn't until I got down to a scrawny 106 pounds that I finally decided I simply couldn't afford to lose more weight, ate more carbs and got a higher A1c, that she finally agreed to refer me to an endo. That was 18 months after original diagnosis. He tested me and found that I was actually type 1. I should have been on insulin the whole time.

During the one hour appointment with the endo, he immediately put me on insulin, demonstrated how to use the insulin pens, gave me starting ratios for bolus and basal insulins, and was then going to turn me back over to my PCP for any further guidance. I had zero faith in her ability to get things done in a reasonable time frame, so got on the internet and started self educating. I was directed by members of a diabetes forum to get the book Using Insulin by John Walsh, which I did immediately. From that I learned to test and adjust my insulin doses. (And I've had an A1c of between 5.5 and 6.1 for the five years since.) As it turned out, I needed only 75% as much basal insulin initially as my endo started me at, but I needed three times as much insulin per gram of carb of fast-acting! I got my ratios figured out and had things pretty well under control before I even went back to see my PCP. I assume she thought the endo had directed me in all of it, and I didn't let on that I'd done all the adjusting myself. Because before she even referred me to the endo, she had said that she didn't want to put me on insulin because she feared I'd try to adjust it myself. LOL. When I later told my endo that, he said, "But that's what you are supposed to do!"

The other major portion of my early diabetes training was also self directed. I signed up for an internet class on diabetes offered by Coursera. This particular class was offered through the University of California San Diego branch primarily for students in medical related fields, but patients were also allowed to enroll. I just audited it, as I had no need for the credits and that way it was completely free to me. It was a very worthwhile course.
Last edited by Uff Da on Sun Jun 03, 2018 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:11 pm

I self dianosed, doctor put me on pills for control, they did little for over 10 years, I got another doctor started using insulin with pills, now A1C about 7.8, 200 units of mixed insulin daily, two types of pills, but mainly using the shotgun method with insulin trying to lead the bird and get the shot close enough for him to run into it. One type of insulin is "N" (Slow), the other is Humulin (Fast), I mix the ratio as I feel best needed to knock the sugar down.

As people that have this problem learn, you change all the time, sometime something works, sometimes it goes wrong, you must learn to adapt. Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire