Surgery to implant something in the throat to keep it open?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Barb (Seattle)

Surgery to implant something in the throat to keep it open?

Post by Barb (Seattle) » Wed Aug 03, 2005 6:36 pm

Hi Have been lurking here for a while, and thought I'd finally post. I saw a piece on the news today about a proceedure to place some little splints in the throat to keep it open, and am wondering if they'll give more details about this. Anyone else hear anything about this?

Post by Guest » Wed Aug 03, 2005 6:59 pm

Its called the Pillar Procedure.

http://www.restoremedical.com/

:twis ted:

Post by Guest » Wed Aug 03, 2005 7:07 pm

Barb, see the link below for an excellent previous thread by Rested Gal containing links about the "pillar implant" surgery as well as other surgeries.

viewtopic.php?t=2836&highlight=pillar+l ... ff3602f9fd

Best of luck!

Barb (Seattle)

pillars

Post by Barb (Seattle) » Wed Aug 03, 2005 9:30 pm

oooooh...it's only (as usual for most prodedures, I've found) for mild to moderate apnea...mine's severe

(still looking for that scientific breakthru that takes me off CPAP)

yawn

Post by yawn » Wed Aug 03, 2005 9:31 pm

I think we all are!!! Let us know if you find it.

Swordz

Post by Swordz » Wed Aug 03, 2005 9:39 pm

Arg...... It frustrates me how little the sleep community, and especially doctors, don't know or don't advertise the various options to CPAP. I started another post (viewtopic.php?t=3947), but no posts were made becuase I believe very few people know about thier options.

I am no expert by any means, but the thought of wearing a mask for the rest of my life led me to search for alternatives.

Check out www.quietsleep.com and click on "Oral Appliances".

Also, check out the message boards @ www.talkaboutsleep.com and go to the "Dental Sleep Medicine" board.

And last, the Academy of Dental Sleep Medicine @ www.dentalsleepmed.org.
You can find dentists in your area that do the procedures.

This website has been a MASSIVE place for knowledge, but sleep docs just don't/won't talk about dental appliances. I've read and heard of many people with SEVERE apnea cutting down on thier RDI/AHI dramatically.

I'm going to a dentist associated with UK in Lexington, KY next month for an initial consoltation for the TAP 2 device. It seems to be by far the most popular, but there are around 40 FDA approved devices I believe.

DOWN WITH CPAP! (For those that can afford it and for those it doesn't work well. For those it works for, carry on!)

Sleep: Did I ever know you?
Soccer: The beautiful game.
2006 Advertising Graduate: Any1 got a job?!

Barb (Seattle)

Post by Barb (Seattle) » Wed Aug 03, 2005 9:55 pm

Well, I've tried 3 alternatives to CPAP that have failed...

OPAP (oral positive airway pressure) the dental device AND UP3. None of these worked for me...and caused considerable pain in my case (the UP3 was excuciating. My CPAP is working pretty good, and I found out I don't have to have it cinched down so tight, so..it's working for now Hope you find the solution you're looking for...

PS..I've been diagnosed and on CPAP for 8 years...so it has been a while looking for my solution...which was a full face mask that actually fit (NOT the Ultra Mirage FF)

Post by Guest » Wed Aug 03, 2005 10:28 pm

Don't give up just yet, Barb. Take a closer look at those posts by PaulY. He had a high RDI and got off CPAP by combining pillar implants with a TAP dental appliance. Others have on that dental forum as well.

Barb (Seattle)

Post by Barb (Seattle) » Wed Aug 03, 2005 10:50 pm

I'm not so sure I want to try another dental device, I was pretty uncomfortable with the one I tried...drooling all over the place was just not a really great experience LOL Yeah, it reduced a little over time, but never went away enough to be comfortable for me...

I just looked up the link to restoremedical (thank you!) and see that it's placed in the soft palate "The Pillar Procedure addresses one of the anatomical components of sleep apnea and snoring: the soft palate. During the Pillar Procedure, three tiny woven inserts are placed in the soft palate to help reduce the vibration that causes snoring and the ability of the soft palate to obstruct the airway. Once in place, the inserts add structural support to the soft palate. Over time, the body's natural tissue response to the inserts increases the structural integrity of the soft palate"

I had UPPP in 2002 (reducing my apnea from 70/hr to 64 (a glaring failure) and am wondering if the pillar would even work for someone who's had that surgery....UPPP didn't work for me, probably the pillars wouldn't either. Maybe if I lost weight and got into the mild range, who knows

rested gal

Post by rested gal » Thu Aug 04, 2005 12:58 am

Barb, since you had the UPPP, there probably isn't much of anything left to put pillars into, as you said.

Really, you should go look on the Dental Sleep Medicine forum of talkaboutsleep.com, as well as the "apnea/snoring" forum there. Do a search for TAP II, and look especially for posts by PaulY and Sleepy Stoboy. Both of them feel that the cause of obstruction is more important to consider when weighing what might work, than just the "severity" of OSA.

Or go to the link below and start working through the links about "Pillar and Tap II". I wouldn't avoid the links about Pillar just because it might not be for someone who's already had a UPPP. As with any topics, discussions can get far flung and have info about other methods, too.

LINKS to surgery, turbinates, Pillar, TAP experiences

Barb (Seattle)

Post by Barb (Seattle) » Thu Aug 04, 2005 7:12 am

rested gal wrote:Barb, since you had the UPPP, there probably isn't much of anything left to put pillars into, as you said.

Really, you should go look on the Dental Sleep Medicine forum of talkaboutsleep.com, as well as the "apnea/snoring" forum there. Do a search for TAP II, and look especially for posts by PaulY and Sleepy Stoboy. Both of them feel that the cause of obstruction is more important to consider when weighing what might work, than just the "severity" of OSA.

Or go to the link below and start working through the links about "Pillar and Tap II". I wouldn't avoid the links about Pillar just because it might not be for someone who's already had a UPPP. As with any topics, discussions can get far flung and have info about other methods, too.

LINKS to surgery, turbinates, Pillar, TAP experiences
I think there might be tissue above where they removed the uvula to put it I had a dental appliance (mandibular repositioning device)AND UPPP, and neither worked alone. Wondering if toGETHER it would work? I'm just not sure I want the dental device again - CPAP is much less irritating LOL