OK You M.O.M. Mouth-Tapers--I Don't Get It!

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
plr66

OK You M.O.M. Mouth-Tapers--I Don't Get It!

Post by plr66 » Mon Mar 09, 2009 4:53 pm

I've been taping with Scotch 2-inch blue painter's tape since starting cpap 7 months ago. This has been without problem until I got tired of the very light tacky feel of my face in the mornings, even after washing my face in the shower. So I just tried the often-recommended Milk of Magnesia trick this weekend, and am wondering why I seem to be the only one to ever have the opposite experience of the predicted results! The MOM actually made the tape adhere more strongly than ever before, and despite removing the tape as slowly as possible, (as I have always done without any irritation to my skin whatever)--I ended up with a couple of small red places. Nothing big, and did not break skin, but a problem where I never had a problem previously. Geesh. Needless to say, I guess I'll toss the MOM and live with a tacky face for a couple of hours every morning. Any other solutions?
DeVilbiss IntelliPap Std Plus with Smartflex; Transcend miniCPAP & Everest2 w/humidifier & batt for travel. UltraMirage FFM; PadACheeks; PaPillow. Using straight CPAP at 13.0/passover humidifier. AHI consistently < 1.5. Began CPAP 9/4/08.

Steviemain

Re: OK You M.O.M. Mouth-Tapers--I Don't Get It!

Post by Steviemain » Mon Mar 09, 2009 5:10 pm

Hey PLR66 - I'm still a rookie in the CPAP process, but there is a good link by one of the veteran's about taping your mouth. Unfortunately, I don't remember who it was, but if you type in "mouth taping" in the search block you'll probably be able to find. One thing for sure, he did not say to use painter's tape...he said to use 3M 2" surgical paper tape or some facsimile of.....if you can find the link it clearly states what to use and how to use it...even down to the "fold 1/16th inch over at one end" to facilitate removal in the morning.

Good luck!

The sun is the same in a relative way, but you're older.....Pink Floyd

plr66

Post by plr66 » Mon Mar 09, 2009 5:38 pm

Thanks Stevie. I've actually got the tape thing down pat, having researched it well before I ever settled on my current mask, right at the beginning. The blue tape works really for me, and other tapes do not appeal to me. I am just asking about the tacky residue. It doesn't show (or maybe even my best friends won't tell me...... ), and it does eventually seem to disappear through the morning. Just wonder why everyone else says the MOM facilitates removal of the tape and actually made it worse for me....and how to possibly remove the tacky feel. If there is no fix, then so be it, I'll stick with what works and hope no one is sniggering at the rectangle mark on my face every morning!
DeVilbiss IntelliPap Std Plus with Smartflex; Transcend miniCPAP & Everest2 w/humidifier & batt for travel. UltraMirage FFM; PadACheeks; PaPillow. Using straight CPAP at 13.0/passover humidifier. AHI consistently < 1.5. Began CPAP 9/4/08.

shooter not logged on

Post by shooter not logged on » Mon Mar 09, 2009 6:51 pm

You ought to try the 3M Micropoor paper tape. It doesn't leave a residue on my face. Its made to stick on people instead of wood!

Paul56

Post by Paul56 » Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:03 pm

Other solutions?

Yes!

Full Face Mask.

plr66

Post by plr66 » Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:06 pm

shooter not logged on wrote:You ought to try the 3M Micropoor paper tape. It doesn't leave a residue on my face. Its made to stick on people instead of wood!
Does it come in 2" width rolls? And is it pretty expensive?
Paul56 wrote:Other solutions?

Yes!

Full Face Mask.
NO NO NOooo!!! Not gonna happen if I can help it! Anyone who reads me here knows I love my Swift LT!

freepostg

Post by freepostg » Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:27 pm

look for it on ebay..that's where I bought mine.

Quinda

Post by Quinda » Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:56 pm

This may be a stupid question ... but why wouldn't you try a full fask mask instead of taping your mouth shut every night?

Paul56

Post by Paul56 » Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:57 pm

plr66 wrote:
shooter not logged on wrote:You ought to try the 3M Micropoor paper tape. It doesn't leave a residue on my face. Its made to stick on people instead of wood!
Paul56 wrote:Other solutions?

Yes!

Full Face Mask.
NO NO NOooo!!! Not gonna happen if I can help it! Anyone who reads me here knows I love my Swift LT!
I look forward keenly to the day of the FULL head mask where the unit will snug up around the neck like a necktie.

I know how good a seal I can get from a necktie after wearing one everyday for 10 years.

freepostg

Post by freepostg » Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:06 pm

Quinda wrote:This may be a stupid question ... but why wouldn't you try a full fask mask instead of taping your mouth shut every night?
It's a great question; I would rather not tape and wear a chinstrap every night but I've tried full face masks and find they tend to leak for me as I'm a side sleeper. Many side sleepers do not have a problem with full face masks but unfortunately I do.

I find the resmed swift LT has such a small footprint that I can bury my head into the pillow almost like the old days without cpap without any leaks. So I continue to tape and wear a chinstrap for the sake of "almost normal" sleep.

LoQ

Post by LoQ » Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:11 pm

plr66 wrote:I've been taping with Scotch 2-inch blue painter's tape since starting cpap 7 months ago. This has been without problem until I got tired of the very light tacky feel of my face in the mornings, even after washing my face in the shower.
Have you tried the less tacky kind of painter's tape? It comes in a variety of tacks.

Also, I know a lot of people use the 2" tape, but I'm just wondering if you can't get used to 1" tape (or maybe it's 3/4", can't remember). When I first started taping, I had to have a big ol' wide piece, but now with careful application and sucking in my lips really well beforehand, I do just fine with the narrow tape. It's more comfortable.

So I just tried the often-recommended Milk of Magnesia trick this weekend, and am wondering why I seem to be the only one to ever have the opposite experience of the predicted results! The MOM actually made the tape adhere more strongly than ever before
That's really strange, and I have no idea. I can't seem to use M.O.M. because the tape won't adhere well-enough when I use it.

shooter

Post by shooter » Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:01 pm

plr66 wrote:
It does come in 2" width. I'd like to find some about 1 1/2" wide. The roll I bought was about $3.

ozij

Post by ozij » Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:39 am

Works with the kind of adhesive on Micropore 3M.
O.

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Good advice is compromised by missing data
Forum member Dog Slobber Nov. 2023

bdp522

Post by bdp522 » Tue Mar 10, 2009 3:42 am

If the only problem is getting the glue off the skin, use mineral oil to remove the tape residue. They do make special wipes to remove adhesives but they are mostly mineral oil. We used mineral oil in the doctors office to remove all kinds of tape residue. It's cheap and it works.

Brenda

oldgearhead

Post by oldgearhead » Tue Mar 10, 2009 7:48 am

...and don't forget the Chapstick. As for removing the tape, everyone seems to have a different experience. I
used the 2" medical paper tape and washed it off with hot water. However, some of the other members who have tried hot water don't agree.

I always put Chapstick on my lips before installing the tape..

People have more fun than anybody..