Anyone have a CSM50 E or F Pulse Oximeter??

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
JoyD.

Anyone have a CSM50 E or F Pulse Oximeter??

Post by JoyD. » Sat Mar 21, 2009 12:42 pm

At some point I'm thinking of buying a pulse oximeter. I'm looking at the CSM50E for $169 or the CSM50F (Wrist) for $239. I'm wondering if the lower priced "E" is comfortable . . . looks like you "wear" the whole thing on your finger! That sounds clumsy for sleeping. How does the finger stay in it, is it clamped in?

It seems like the "F" wrist oximeter would be more comfortable with a short wire to the finger that inserts into a smaller "thimble-like" thingy. ?? Has anyone tried on both? Does anyone have either? Would you describe how comfotable it is, and if it comes off at night? . . . or maybe you have a really great one to recommend . . .I'd like stay under $200 with computer download capabilities.

Thanks ~ Joy

Additional Comments: CPAP Pr 14.0; EPR:3 Full; Heated Hose; 1" NexCare Low Trauma Tape; PurSleep Buckwheat Hull Pillow; Caldera Releaf Collar.
Other Accessories & Software: Wellue O2 Ring; OSCAR; SleepHQ Pro.

spitintheocean

Re: Anyone have a CSM50 E or F Pulse Oximeter??

Post by spitintheocean » Sat Mar 21, 2009 1:23 pm

I purchased the more expensive "F" unit primarily out of concern that I wouldn't like the pressure on my finger necessary to keep the less expensive model in place. I also read here where others had some minor issues with keeping the bulkier finger model "E" in place and resorted to elastic bands, tape, etc.

The "F" fits over my finger like a thimble with no discernible pressure ........ I continue to envision the "E" to be more like snapping on a clothespin and trying not to move my hand around at night for fear that it would dislodge.

I will admit though that the actual "F" unit worn on your wrist is like wearing a chunky big Rolex (knock-off ) at night and for someone who spent a lifetime wearing nothing but a smile to bed, it's been a big adjustment around here between the oximeter and the hose/mask.

Don't forget that you can't have nail polish of any kind on the finger you intend to monitor.

Paul

Life is something to do when you can't get to sleep.
Fran Lebowitz

Hawthorne

Post by Hawthorne » Sat Mar 21, 2009 2:50 pm

I have the CSM 50E. It stay easily on my finger all night and, to me, is very light. It clips on like a clothespin but I feel no pressure from it at all. I have long rather thin fingers. I really am not aware that I have it on when I wear it for a night.

I do not move much in my sleep but it stay on through adjusting of mask during the night when necessary.

I wear it on my second finger so that I have my first finger and thumb "available" for any needed mask adjustments!

Additional Comments:  Backups- FX Nano masks. Backup machine- Airmini auto travel cpap

kebsa

Post by kebsa » Sat Mar 21, 2009 11:19 pm

I have the CSM50 E and i was a little concerned that it may not stay on all night, i preferred the idea of the wrist watch style units but budge restrictions made my decision for me! Having said that i have been very happy with the E unit and have not had a problem with the unit not staying in place- possibly if it were used by a very restless sleeper it may come off but then i think the finger probes of the wrist style units could be dislodged too. from memory i paid about $160 for the unit i bought and it has been a good investment

jda1000

Post by jda1000 » Sun Mar 22, 2009 12:39 am

I have the "E" unit, and wear it almost every night. It cost about $169 from Echo. Generally, it stays on all night, but sometimes I remove it or knock it off and find it in the bedding after waking. However, it stays on better than my mask...I don't think I normally toss about much.

I download the data into my desktop computer and print a one-page report almost every morning; there's a "comment" block with plenty of space to record my ResMed data - AI, HI, leakage rate, hours used, and such - which I just write it, to compile a record of my sleep effectiveness, at least for a while. The software was not difficult to install or learn to use.

All in all, I'm glad I made the purchase. I'm in the process of changing doctors, so don't know yet whether the data I collect will have clinical value, but I know the habitual monitoring improves my compliance.
Machine: Resmed Autoset II
Humidifier: Resmed H4i
Mask: Mirage Ultra

ca_hosehead

Post by ca_hosehead » Sun Mar 22, 2009 3:13 am

I have the "F" and echo the comments made here. It stays in place and is reasonably comfortable. I'm glad I purchased it, I have learned a lot. It's not the easiest device to use but it you can read a "chinglish" manual and program a VCR you'll be fine. Most people have some small glitches getting started with it but get it working pretty quickly.

JoyD.

Post by JoyD. » Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:42 pm

Thanks for all your comments! I would still like to hear more about the "F" - particularly getting started with it. Thanks so much.

Joy

Additional Comments: CPAP Pr 14.0; EPR:3 Full; Heated Hose; 1" NexCare Low Trauma Tape; PurSleep Buckwheat Hull Pillow; Caldera Releaf Collar.

Kiralynx

Post by Kiralynx » Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:03 pm

JoyD. wrote:Thanks for all your comments! I would still like to hear more about the "F" - particularly getting started with it. Thanks so much.
Joy,

My F arrived last week. I didn't have any trouble setting it up but they'd sent me a grey data cable which did not work, and then they sent a black data cable, which does.

I have learned there is an update to the software which comes with it here http://www.semedicalsupply.com/catalog.htm, in the lower right hand corner, and that you should plug the oximeter in and THEN open the upload software, set up a new session, and tell the oximeter to upload.

It's reasonably comfortable. I don't know if I would want to wear it every night, though. I hope it's comfortable enough that I can persuade my mother to wear it.

Beastie, 2008-10-28. NEW Beastie, PRS1 960, 2014-05-14. NEWER Beastie, Dream Station ASV, 2017-10-17. PadaCheek Hosecover. Homemade Brandy Keg Chin Support. TapPap Mask.
Min PS = 4, Max PS = 8
Epap Range = 6 - 7.5

JoyD.

Post by JoyD. » Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:21 pm

Kiralynx wrote about the CSM50F Pulse Oximeter:
It's reasonably comfortable. I don't know if I would want to wear it every night, though.
Hmmm . . . I'm wondering what is bothersome about it. In the photo it appears to have a "thimble" to insert your finger. Does it clamp on the finger in some way? Or is the "wristwatch" thingy too bulky to be comfortable? I'm still debating between the two.

Thanks for responding and trying to help

Joy

RipVW

Post by RipVW » Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:26 pm

I have/wear the 7500. It's reasonably comfortable, though it is a bit like wearing a wrist watch to bed along with that thimble pressing on the tip of you finger. It's not particularly uncomfortable, but if you, like me, do not wear watches or rings to bed, then you'll probably be very conscious of it. I love my 7500, though. It's a great recording pulse oximeter.
Check out my chinstrap--> http://cpapchinstraps.com

dsm

Post by dsm » Tue Mar 24, 2009 1:54 pm

JoyD. wrote:At some point I'm thinking of buying a pulse oximeter. I'm looking at the CSM50E for $169 or the CSM50F (Wrist) for $239. I'm wondering if the lower priced "E" is comfortable . . . looks like you "wear" the whole thing on your finger! That sounds clumsy for sleeping. How does the finger stay in it, is it clamped in?

It seems like the "F" wrist oximeter would be more comfortable with a short wire to the finger that inserts into a smaller "thimble-like" thingy. ?? Has anyone tried on both? Does anyone have either? Would you describe how comfotable it is, and if it comes off at night? . . . or maybe you have a really great one to recommend . . .I'd like stay under $200 with computer download capabilities.

Thanks ~ Joy
Joy,

I use the CMS50E after having used a couple of ex hospital bedside machines.

It seems to me to be no more difficult than an ordinary wire probe. It is reasonably light considering it is everything including a colour screen.
I wrap the supplied ribbon around my wrist & it has never come off.

Good luck

DSM
xPAP and Quattro std mask (plus a pad-a-cheek anti-leak strap)

unidee

Post by unidee » Tue Oct 15, 2019 12:18 pm

Just got CMS50F ($ 71 with posting). I bought just that model which is compatible to Oscar software. There ase CMS50FW, but I think that it charges the battery when I connect it to computer with USB-cable. Next night is first night to use it. I have seen in YouTube also CMS50K, which is newer oximeter.

Aggiehorntwins

Post by Aggiehorntwins » Tue Oct 15, 2019 4:51 pm

I bought my F model on Amazon for 86 dollars. It works great, and I am able to upload it to Oscar. It is very user friendly.
Attachments
15FF21CD-D79A-4C70-BBCE-E848AF2E9049.jpeg
15FF21CD-D79A-4C70-BBCE-E848AF2E9049.jpeg (555.62 KiB) Viewed 713 times

SnoringInOregon

Post by SnoringInOregon » Sun Oct 20, 2019 7:20 am

I wonder how accurate that wrist watch oximeter is? Have you compared the readings with the kind that slips onto a finger?

The 1st generation Apple Watch had oximeter hardware. But it was never enabled. Apple never explained why. Maybe it was because of accuracy (perhaps if watch was loose, not snug against the skin?). Maybe it was because Apple decided that regulatory approval would be to hard to achieve in all the various countries?

Edit: never mind. Upon more careful examination of that ad I see that the CMS50F watch needs a finger probe for oximetry. That makes more sense than what the Apple watch was originally going to do.

Jas_williams

Post by Jas_williams » Sun Oct 20, 2019 12:16 pm

SnoringInOregon wrote:
Sun Oct 20, 2019 7:20 am
I wonder how accurate that wrist watch oximeter is? Have you compared the readings with the kind that slips onto a finger?

The 1st generation Apple Watch had oximeter hardware. But it was never enabled. Apple never explained why. Maybe it was because of accuracy (perhaps if watch was loose, not snug against the skin?). Maybe it was because Apple decided that regulatory approval would be to hard to achieve in all the various countries?

Edit: never mind. Upon more careful examination of that ad I see that the CMS50F watch needs a finger probe for oximetry. That makes more sense than what the Apple watch was originally going to do.
The CMS 50F has a finger probe just on a short lead back up to the “Watch”