MIRAGE SWIFT LT QUALITY POLL--THE RESMED CHARADE???

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.

Have you found a decrease in quality of the Swift LT pillows over the past year?

Poll ended at Fri Oct 23, 2009 5:13 pm

Yes--Newer ones look clearer & seem thinner--older ones are milkier in appearance & feel sturdier
26%
Yes--Newer ones feel less resistent to pressure, squeezing both the base and the inside nasal piece layer
22%
Yes--"Fit" of the nasal pieces on newer ones feels different, more difficult to seat well, or more leaking
26%
No differences detected when comparing them side by side
26%

Total votes: 65

plr66

MIRAGE SWIFT LT QUALITY POLL--THE RESMED CHARADE???

Post by plr66 » Fri May 08, 2009 5:13 pm

I have written before about a significant change I have found in the quality--specifically the sturdiness--of the Swift LT pillows since my first LT masklast September. (One thread post was: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=39108&st=0&sk=t&sd= ... T&start=15). Since I posted that note, and actually tried using the 2 replacement pillows sent to me from Resmed, I was really sickened to find that they were also of a flimsier quality than I originally thought. I am still using the first pillow I got because even though it is losing some of its sturdiness and probably needs replacement, it is far & away better than the bag full of newer LT pillows I have tried.

Having been a zealot about this mask for the past 8 months, I am stunned that I seem to no longer be able to deal with the new pillows effectively enough to prevent leaking. I know all the tricks. This is not fixable for me. The difference in leak rate is not huge, but IS enough to wake me to mess with the apparatus several times per night.

I have fully described to ResMed the differences I see; and their Product Mgr, Jennifer called me today to say she is forwarding my concerns to their Engineering Team in Sydney, and she will call back next week. I am glad to report that my concerns thus seem to be taken seriously. But she stated that no changes have been made in mfg, and so this is a puzzle.

Thus my motivation for this poll. If you have a 6-12 months older pillow to compare, check the color of the silicone and gently squeeze both the base "bulb" as well as the nasal pieces to compare to a more recent one. Vote as you see it. Maybe my perfect pillow is the anomoly which did not fit their quality control because it lasts 6 times longer than the newer ones do and would decrease their sales!

Please limit responses here to just the quality question rather than helpful ideas to fix the mask. The poll will let me more accurately tell ResMed that this is or is not a common problem. Thanks.
Last edited by plr66 on Sat Oct 24, 2009 6:42 pm, edited 8 times in total.
DeVilbiss IntelliPap Std Plus with Smartflex; Transcend miniCPAP & Everest2 w/humidifier & batt for travel. UltraMirage FFM; PadACheeks; PaPillow. Using straight CPAP at 13.0/passover humidifier. AHI consistently < 1.5. Began CPAP 9/4/08.

boston

Re: MIRAGE SWIFT LT QUALITY POLL

Post by boston » Fri May 08, 2009 6:56 pm

i thought it odd that the pillow that came with my swift lt lasted @ 3 months and the replacements ive been using last @ 1 month.

plr66

Post by plr66 » Sat May 09, 2009 7:36 am

boston wrote:i thought it odd that the pillow that came with my swift lt lasted @ 3 months and the replacements ive been using last @ 1 month.
I first became aware of the flimsier pillow when I bought my spare mask with headgear. Thought at first that those "complete" packages might have been produced in a different place and maybe had a different source for the pillows than the individually packed pillows. Apparently that was not so. And pretty far-fetched idea, actually...
DeVilbiss IntelliPap Std Plus with Smartflex; Transcend miniCPAP & Everest2 w/humidifier & batt for travel. UltraMirage FFM; PadACheeks; PaPillow. Using straight CPAP at 13.0/passover humidifier. AHI consistently < 1.5. Began CPAP 9/4/08.

5aces

Post by 5aces » Sat May 09, 2009 8:26 am

I see after casting a vote a tie has emerged between 'fit' and 'finish'.

I went with the flimsy aspect because it has directly impacted the fit.

The original pillow was sturdier.
The new replacements I ordered were thinner and will not seat properly without a liberal application of nasal gel.

Still haven't broke the package on a spare Swift LT I ordered a few months ago to compare original shipment pillows with replacement pillows...good to see a consensus on a change I wasn't sure of!
ImageImage

DreamStalker

Post by DreamStalker » Sat May 09, 2009 8:32 am

I have not replaced mine since I got them about 10 months ago ... they still work as good as new ... so I didn't vote.

So uhhhh, what are y'all doing to your pillows that you have to replace them? ... chewing on them?
President-pretender, J. Biden, said "the DNC has built the largest voter fraud organization in US history". Too bad they didn’t build the smartest voter fraud organization and got caught.

Raj

Post by Raj » Sat May 09, 2009 8:43 am

Even with manufacturing specs identical, small changes in the raw materials from which the cushions are derived can alter the finished product.

I've gotten a better seal recently from the new pillows by rubbing them with witch hazel right before bedtime. I suppose this could degrade the pillows in time, but I suspect the flimsier pillows need to be more free of even trace amounts of oil to work effectively.
Resmed AutoSet S9 with H5i humidifier/Swift FX mask/ Climateline hose/ http://www.rajlessons.com/

plr66

Post by plr66 » Sat May 09, 2009 8:44 am

DreamStalker wrote:I have not replaced mine since I got them about 10 months ago ... they still work as good as new ... so I didn't vote.

So uhhhh, what are y'all doing to your pillows that you have to replace them? ... chewing on them?
DS, since you also have had yours for nearly a year, I'd be very interested in your opinion of a new pillow. And to address your question, I for one noticed a slight decrease in how effectively my original pillow was holding up with fairly loose straps, and seeing new brief periods of leaks in my data where there had been none. Nothing dramatic. Just thought from what I have read here that the nasal pillows apparently lose their resilience and need replacement periodically. As I said, I am still using the original now, and unfortunately need the pillow some tighter on my nose. Can't reach it to chew on it when it's on.....

5aces

Post by 5aces » Sat May 09, 2009 9:00 am

DreamStalker wrote:So uhhhh, what are y'all doing to your pillows that you have to replace them? ... chewing on them?
Never was a biter!(although I have been bitten)

I went with the Swift LT right from the onset(July 2008) and it came with a factory 'medium' pillow.

I wanted to try the 'large' size pillow(2009) and I enjoyed the easier,more comfortable airflow.
The catch is that the new replacement pillows ordered are flimsier and harder to seal.

"Thou shalt not change the recipe of our Coca-Cola and think we will not notice" heh heh.
ImageImage

Uncle_Bob

Post by Uncle_Bob » Sat May 09, 2009 10:26 am

i used the factory medium pillow which was milky in color for about 3 weeks before i complained of the seal and how it would just went too soft.

I got sent 2 more pillows that are still milky and seem to be the same as the original ones. I'm still used the fist one of the two and have been for about 7 weeks now. No leaks.

I wonder if the two types of pillow you mention actually have different resmed part numbers?

Bonnie

Post by Bonnie » Sat May 09, 2009 3:00 pm

For 4 years the Swift has been my 1st mask choice, Swift, Swift II and now the LT. I am on my 3rd LT and was going to submit a post about the love affair being over. This last one (3 months old) is awful. My leak rate is horrible and the pilows are flimsy, cheap and wear out fast. Every improvement from the Swift to the LT has been great. Except for this last one, especially the connection of the pillows. With my last one the the ability to click and angle the pilows in to my nose and have it stay in place was great. This one swivels but the locking mechanism is poor quality. It moves around causing a lot of leaks. I have a bunch of other masks and I will try and find one that I liked as much as my 1st LT, but I'm not holding my breath. I really liked the LT.....

Bonnie

"People who say they slept like a baby apparently never had one"

BleepingBeauty

Post by BleepingBeauty » Sat May 09, 2009 3:35 pm

I haven't participated in the poll because I've only got my one LT from late last year. I love it, but after reading here of others' experiences with the newer flimsier pillows, I'm bummed out. I'm planning on getting a new one next month, when my insurance will pay for a new mask. But if the pillows are, indeed, of a much lesser quality than what I have now, I'll be very disappointed. This is my mask of choice, and I'd hate to have to start hunting for something else that works for me as well as this one does.

Hasn't Mirage ever heard the phrase, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it?"
Veni, vidi, Velcro. I came, I saw, I stuck around.

Dx 11/07: AHI 107, central apnea, Cheyne Stokes respiration, moderate-severe O2 desats. (Simple OSA would be too easy. ;))

PR S1 ASV 950, DreamWear mask, F&P 150 humidifier, O2 @ 2L.

lebowski8

Post by lebowski8 » Sat May 09, 2009 7:59 pm

I use the Swift LT, but i'm new to it.

I'm wondering about objective ways to measure the changes in the pillow quality.

I'd be interested in comparing last year's model vs. this year's. Would it be possible to measure thickness of silicone with a caliper or micrometer?
Also, would it be possible to measure the mass in grams?

...just a thought.
Hoser since April 2009.
Feb 2009: AHI 45.8 | BP 142/97 | SpO2: 78.9%
2016: AHI 0.9 | BP 122/81 | SpO2: 96.5%

Stranger: How things been goin'?
The Dude: Ahh, you know. Ups and downs, strikes and gutters.

elg5cats

Post by elg5cats » Sun May 10, 2009 8:08 am

Are the quality changes concerning enough to discourage using the Mirage Swift LT for her as a first time nasal pillow use?

Only competition with a Bed of Kats for improved sleep is an xPAP approved by the Kats. In Memory: KoKo Macademia KitKat 10-20-1989--May 30. 2007....Kats are purrfect role models for sleep hygiene along with 2 snuggly Tibetan Spaniels.

The Texan

Post by The Texan » Sun May 10, 2009 9:19 am

My original mask was the older model with the firmer pillows. last night, after reading this, I took out one of the new pillows I have and checked it over. Yes, you can see and feel a difference in the texture and clarity of the pillow. I then decided to try it for the night and I guess I can throw it away. It collapsed over 20 times during the night, either causing a massive leak or shutting off my exhalation of breath. I took a good look at it this AM and the difference between the two are night and day, so their supplier has made some changes, whether they know it or not.

'05 HR Endeavor 40PRQ, 400 Cummins, our home.
69 years old and back working in the oil patch, to survive retirement, in the current economy.

hose head

Post by hose head » Sun May 10, 2009 9:51 am

I didn't vote. I got my swift lt in December. It was great for awhile, but then started with leaks. I have been trying to tweak it so it won't leak. I do the nasal gel, but the thing will start to leak if I so much as twitch my nose, not to mention roll over in my sleep. Last night I switched to the Activa in the middle of the night.
I guess I need to get new pillows and see if that helps.