Viet Nam Vets and Agent Orange

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
TerryB

Viet Nam Vets and Agent Orange

Post by TerryB » Thu May 28, 2009 6:14 am

Back in November '08 there was a thread started regarding Agent Orange exposure and policy changes.
It has taken a while and the paperwork hasn't ended yet, but I got a check from the VA yesterday for disability compensation for my Diabetes presumed to be related to service in Viet Nam and exposure to Agent Orange. Just a gentle reminder to those who may have one of the many health issues associated with exposure to agent orange to get signed up with the VA.

TerryB

PS in spite of stories read about shoddy VA treatment of vets, my experience in this endeavor has been nothing but top notch with anyone I have been in contact with.

GrumpyGurl

Re: Viet Nam Vets and Agent Orange

Post by GrumpyGurl » Thu May 28, 2009 9:43 am

Thank you for the information, Terry.
ResMed S8 Elite II with humidifier
Swift LT (for her)
Sleep Study AHI = 97

"Nothing is as it seems....."

TerryB

Post by TerryB » Thu May 28, 2009 11:07 am

Here is the link to the original thread which has lots of good info.

viewtopic/t42248/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=36 ... ge#p313404

TerryB

tomjax

Post by tomjax » Thu May 28, 2009 3:20 pm

I am curious as to who determined the agent orange was connected to your apnea.

How much has your weight changed since then and which do you think is the more likely cause?

I know a Nam vet who blames all the problems in his life on agent orange.

I remain a skeptic.

Slinky

Post by Slinky » Thu May 28, 2009 3:37 pm

Yeah, well, my brother-in-law went thru Korea and two tours in Nam. He was a Gunnery Sergeant. On his last tour in Nam when the patrol boats were going out one of the boats was short a gunner so he volunteered to go. Whilst on the river our own forces dumped Agent Orange directly on them.

When his diabetes finally took its toll on his kidneys and he was on dialysis VA didn't do all that well by him, and his last trip to the hospital ended up costing his estate $25,000 that VA refused to pay.

This man had several Purple Hearts and the Bronze Star and that was the thanks he got from our governement.

My other brother-in-law put in his 20 years and retired. When he had an abdominal aorta aneurysm burst the ambulance took him to the local hospital ER because the local VA had no ER department. He didn't survive the surgery. His two sons went thru hell trying to get VA or TriCare to pay the hospital bill.

Don't talk to me about how our government and VA take care of our Vets!!!

My computer says I need to upgrade my brain to be compatible with its new software.

TerryB

Post by TerryB » Thu May 28, 2009 5:30 pm

Tomjax,
I'm sorry I somehow got agent Orange and OSA related in your mind.
My VA service connected disability is type II Diabetes and the resulting ED.

Slinky,
I'm very sorry to hear about your relatives problems with VA.
What time frame was that? Things have changed in recent years.
The VA is winning awards for all kinds of processes related to Vet. care.

Regards,
TerryB

Slinky

Post by Slinky » Thu May 28, 2009 7:30 pm

Just last year for my Agent Orange brother-in-law in the state of Maine. About 4 years for my AAA brother in law in Michigan.

Ooops. Its been two years ago now, not one year ago.

Last edited by Slinky on Thu May 28, 2009 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Women are Angels. And when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly.....on a broomstick. We are flexible like that.
My computer says I need to upgrade my brain to be compatible with its new software.

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Thu May 28, 2009 8:54 pm

I don't think all the soldiers ills can be blamed on Agent Orange, but exposure to it and, pesticides cause cancer, birth defects and diabetes and other gene damage, if not in total,they do make the problems worse than they would have been.

The percent of disability allowed, no way covers the damage done. The V.A. treatment centers I use, do the best they can under the government program. They have modern equipment, but turnover in personnel is high and training is fair to poor. By nature they have to provide a service that's limited in nature at best, but still it beats having no coverage at all.

Poor medical care can be had anywhere, at any time, at any price. The doctor that graduates last in his class, is still called doctor. Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

goose
Location: The left coast - CA... If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space!!

Post by goose » Fri May 29, 2009 12:06 am

I can relate to Slinky's experience. I gave up on the VA about 30 years ago when they couldn't figure out what was wrong with my feet.
I have what the VA docs referred to as "Jungle Rot".....[edited to add: OMG i just realized that in Nov. it'll have been 40 years - time flies when you're having fun!!!!]
It's a fungus. They have no idea what kind, how I got it, or what they could do to get rid of it. I've got a ripping dose of it right now as it's a spring/summer event - I describe it as having athletes foot from the knees down and there's no cream, lotion, powder or spray that will provide any real relief......Still have it. Interestingly though I was Navy and my feet were dry most of the time, so I didn't have the exposure to the wet boots that the ground pounders got from traipsing through the rice paddies.
Type II diabetes, ED and other related afflictions....
Agent Orange?? Who knows.
On river patrol a couple times, the C130's that were spraying flew right over us with the spray coming out the spray apparatus. Kind of stings the skin and caused a rash. Like a reallllly light acid burn. Really burned your eyes bad....
You could literally see the jungle die. It was kind of sad because jungle is beautiful, but it was also very nice to have that buffer zone between the edge of cover and the river. There were places where the jungle came right down to the river and those were scary.....VC could hit us and we wouldn't even know they were there -- 3 feet away....

I'm not one that will blame AO for all my ills. Not realistic!!!
Did it have an affect on my overall health for the past 30+ years.
Oh yeah!!! Without question.
Just do the research...
But, that said.....everyone that was on the ground or on the rivers in VN was exposed to AO. The VN's are being exposed to it today!!!!! Dioxin isn't something that just "goes away" because we wish it so. It's in the dust, the dirt, the rice paddies, the water (runoff) -- essentially it's everywhere and will be for years to come!!!!! And it doesn't affect everyone the same....
The VA/Government will never acknowledge blanket effects of AO on the veteran population. They can't afford it!!!!! They'll placate the squeaky wheels on an individual basis in hopes it doesn't explode in their faces. Maybe it will, probably it won't.
Perhaps it's time for me to squeak a bit....I'm happy to hear Terry has had good experiences with VA.....that leads me to be a bit more optimistic than I would be otherwise based on past experiences - but that was also 30+ years ago....We'll see....

cheers
goose

PS - Terry. You've seen most of this before, but I figured it's best to put it out on a post for everyone's edification.....

Last edited by goose on Fri May 29, 2009 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wars arise from a failure to understand one another's humanness. Instead of summit meetings, why not have families meet for a picnic and get to know each other while the children play together?

-the Dalai Lama

DreamStalker

Post by DreamStalker » Fri May 29, 2009 6:47 am

tomjax wrote:I am curious as to who determined the agent orange was connected to your apnea.

How much has your weight changed since then and which do you think is the more likely cause?

I remain a skeptic.

Does it matter whether agent orange is the cause or not Tom?

Any US military vet that serves in combat duty should be provided with complete healthcare for the rest of their lives IMO.
President-pretender, J. Biden, said "the DNC has built the largest voter fraud organization in US history". Too bad they didn’t build the smartest voter fraud organization and got caught.

GrumpyGurl

Post by GrumpyGurl » Fri May 29, 2009 7:43 am

I wondered what kind of fallout would result from the information that Terry posted. I know that the VA is substandard, but the care is better than nothing at all for those that do not have any kind of health care at all. I wholeheartedly believe that the government owes our veterans so much more than than they receive. I see veterans every weekend that served our country, some with commendations and honors, that have been forgotten and are struggling with their health. My father was in the Army in VN, he was there for two years. I know he was a mechanic, but I don't know much more than that. He never used the VA. He worked and used his health insurance from his job. He died at age 49, 14 years ago from Lou Gehrigs disease. Do I think his ALS was AO related? Probably. We don't know what triggers these autoimmune diseases, or what mechanism (bug/virus, etc.) was put in place years ago, laid dormant, and what set of complicated circumstances converged at the precise moment to bring on these diseases. Diabetes, crohnes, psoriasis, psoriatic arthritis, rheumatoid arthritis, lupus, metabolic disease...and so many others. Not to mention the diseases that are locale specific and not studied in the US. (I am so sorry Goose for what you go through.) Also Slinky, I am so sorry about both of your brother-n-laws.

As far as damage to genes and passing damaged goods to the next generation......I have all of the diseases I listed above except for diabetes, and I could add a couple more. (By the way I am not overweight, maybe by 10lbs and have always been healthy until I went through the horrible death of my father (the disease was not kind). After his death I guess I fell apart. Anyway, thank God I don't have to go to the VA for my treatment. My doctor bills exceed $9,000.00 a month. I am able to work and again thank God everyday for that, as I need the insurance.

Ugh, I have rambled enough. I just want to say I still love our country, and wish I could be more proud of the treatment of our servicemen and veterans. I guess I will find out more soon, my son will be graduating June 13, and leaves for the Marines in August.

God Bless Us All,
GG
ResMed S8 Elite II with humidifier
Swift LT (for her)
Sleep Study AHI = 97

"Nothing is as it seems....."

goose
Location: The left coast - CA... If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space!!

Post by goose » Fri May 29, 2009 12:44 pm

DreamStalker wrote:
tomjax wrote:I am curious as to who determined the agent orange was connected to your apnea.

I remain a skeptic.

Does it matter whether agent orange is the cause or not Tom?

Any US military vet that serves in combat duty should be provided with complete healthcare for the rest of their lives IMO.
Thanks Roberto!!!

Tom needs to learn to think outside of his dogma. I didn't think the comment worthy of comment so I left it to simmer and define it's author. Your comment was far more diplomatic than what was originally in my post......

And to GG -- I'm very sorry to hear of your loss...
And also thanks for your kind comments. What I go through is far less than others that I know, and your comments are very thoughtful -- Thank you!!!!!
cheers
goose

cheers
goose

-the Dalai Lama

OldLincoln

Post by OldLincoln » Sat May 30, 2009 1:01 pm

Goose: I know you have tried everything.... I just discovered Witch Hazel and begun using it for skin issues. How did it perform for you?
ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet / F&P Simplex / DME: VA
It's going to be okay in the end; if it's not okay, it's not the end.

goose

Post by goose » Sat May 30, 2009 7:10 pm

It's actually been a long time since I tried Witch Hazel......I should try it again as it's fairly benign!!! Thanks for the reminder....

Since I've developed diabetes I go to a podiatrist to get my toenails trimmed to ensure I don't clip too deep (complicated by that toenail fungus that makes them 1/4 inch thick, roundish and ugly colored.....did the 90 day prescription attempt at "cure"....no joy in mudville). Because of the "Rot" I tend to wear flip-flops all year around (generally not in the snow though -- sometimes!!!) which isn't a really recommended way to protect ones feet with diabetes, but shoes and socks causes breakout (though it's mainly a "summer" kind of thing, it happens all year around).....so my feet get dried and chaffed, especially in summer.
She suggested I use a moisturizing lotion on my feet to keep them a bit less dry......Can't do it. Any lotions on the market bring out the rot faster than I can re-cap the tube......burns like fire -- any of them - Vaseline, Ivory, KY -- I can't put any kind of lotion on, especially during summer. By mistake she put on one of the lotions she uses on patients.....she got a really good example of why I can't use lotions.....the fire started immediately and she watched my foot turn instantly red.....
So I have dry feet......oh well....
I do remember that Witch Halzel didn't cause a break out, so I'll give it a try again.....The worst that'll happen -- it will inflame the existing break out -- certainly can't add to the discomfort!!!!!

Thanks again for the reminder!!

cheers
goose

-the Dalai Lama

Post by Guest » Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:31 am

Slinky wrote:Yeah, well, my brother-in-law went thru Korea and two tours in Nam. He was a Gunnery Sergeant. On his last tour in Nam when the patrol boats were going out one of the boats was short a gunner so he volunteered to go. Whilst on the river our own forces dumped Agent Orange directly on them.

When his diabetes finally took its toll on his kidneys and he was on dialysis VA didn't do all that well by him, and his last trip to the hospital ended up costing his estate $25,000 that VA refused to pay.

This man had several Purple Hearts and the Bronze Star and that was the thanks he got from our governement.

My other brother-in-law put in his 20 years and retired. When he had an abdominal aorta aneurysm burst the ambulance took him to the local hospital ER because the local VA had no ER department. He didn't survive the surgery. His two sons went thru hell trying to get VA or TriCare to pay the hospital bill.

Don't talk to me about how our government and VA take care of our Vets!!!