New Aussie Heated Hose - Have questions about it

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
JoyD.

New Aussie Heated Hose - Have questions about it

Post by JoyD. » Fri Jun 12, 2009 4:28 pm

Hi All,

I just received my first Aussie Heated Hose. My interest in ordering it now, even though it's summer, is to prevent rainout in my nasal pillows. Previously, I did use a fleece hose cover, and fleece mask-hose covers -- but still got condensation in my nasal pillows.

Here were my observations the first (and only) two hours on the Aussie Hose:

1. The air I breathed was TOO WARM to the degree I couldn't sleep! I didn't expect it to obviously warm the air I breathed (maybe in the Winter, but not in the Summer). Note: the temp of my house is kept at 73 degrees F. with air-conditioning in the summer.

2. When I unplugged the Aussie Hose, I was surprised to find that the transformer was hot after only two hours of use.

Is this normal? For you Aussie Heated Hose lovers, is the air you breathe obviously warm in the Summer? Doesn't that bother you? More importantly, I'm concerned about safety if the transformer is hot after only two hours!

I'd really appreciate your insight and experience.

Thanks,
Joy

Additional Comments: CPAP Pr 14.0; EPR:3 Full; Heated Hose; 1" NexCare Low Trauma Tape; PurSleep Buckwheat Hull Pillow; Caldera Releaf Collar.
Other Accessories & Software: Wellue O2 Ring; OSCAR; SleepHQ Pro.

carbonman

Re: New Aussie Heated Hose - Have questions about it

Post by carbonman » Fri Jun 12, 2009 5:03 pm

Joy, I got my hose for Xmas last year. It was cold enough in the bedroom that I was getting
just a little rainout. It solved that problem very well. I actually looked forward to that warm
air. I really liked it when I would get up and then turn the machine back on and get
that blast of warm air......very comforting when it was cold.
As summer warmed up, it was just too hot. I'm back to using my regular hose
w/Padacheek hose cozy. For the summer, w/HH, that is just right.
Will be looking forward to the cold again to fire-up the Ozzy hose.

I left the transformer plugged in all the time and never did check to see how warm it was.
Must have been ok.
"If your therapy is improving your health but you're not doing anything
to see or feel those changes, you'll never know what you're capable of."
I said that.

-SWS

Post by -SWS » Fri Jun 12, 2009 5:11 pm

Joy, there's always the option of running it with a 9 volt adapter instead of the 12 volt adapter:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=34838&p=299688&#p299688

JoyD.

Post by JoyD. » Fri Jun 12, 2009 5:58 pm

Carbonman,

Thanks so much for relating your experience with the AHH in Winter! Sounds like I will love it when Winter comes around and I turn the heat down to 60-65 degrees at night. I didn't realize that most people use their Aussie Hose only in the Winter (even though that seems logical ).

I'm using a humidification of only 1 (sometimes passover) in the Summer. Don't know where the condensation droplets are coming from since I keep the house at 73 degrees. (No, my nose is NOT running ).

SWS,

Thank you as well! I read your link which was a good read. I think I'll pick up the 9 V. adapter and give it a try in case it works for my needs in Summer. What do I ask for? . . . a "9 VOLT UNIVERSAL POWER SOURCE" ?

Thanks again,
Joy

Additional Comments: CPAP Pr 14.0; EPR:3 Full; Heated Hose; 1" NexCare Low Trauma Tape; PurSleep Buckwheat Hull Pillow; Caldera Releaf Collar.

GumbyCT

Post by GumbyCT » Fri Jun 12, 2009 6:30 pm

For the summer just unplug the power supply - during the winter use the 9V adapter. Could also use the HH in passover mode.

I have no doubt, how I sleep affects every waking moment.
I am making progress-NOW I remember that I can't remember
;)
If this isn’t rocket science why are there so many spaceshots?
Be your own healthcare advocate!

bdp522

Post by bdp522 » Fri Jun 12, 2009 6:56 pm

I keep my Aussie hose on a timer. Turns on at my usual bed time and off when my alarm wakes me. Been doing it this way for years and it works great.

Brenda

GumbyCT

Post by GumbyCT » Fri Jun 12, 2009 7:23 pm

bdp522 wrote:I keep my Aussie hose on a timer. Turns on at my usual bed time and off when my alarm wakes me. Been doing it this way for years and it works great.
Brenda
Oh yea another must but surely you don't have it plugged in now?

I have no doubt, how I sleep affects every waking moment.
I am making progress-NOW I remember that I can't remember
;)
If this isn’t rocket science why are there so many spaceshots?
Be your own healthcare advocate!

timbalionguy

Post by timbalionguy » Fri Jun 12, 2009 8:53 pm

I would expect the power supply for a product like this to run a little warm. At low voltages, useful heat output means a fair amount of current must be used. Current heats up wiring. Low voltage is used for safety reasons.

If you go to get a 9 volt power supply, make sure you have the ratings of the 12 volt supply 9 or the supply itself) with you. You will need less current at 9 volts, but I would make sure the 9V supply can supply as much current as the 12V supply, as the reduction is only like 25 percent. You may want to consider a supply that will also give you six volts. Multi voltage 'wall warts' are common these days.

In general. heating power equals volts times amps. For instance, 12 volts at 1 amp will give you 12 watts of heat. This equates to a heater resistance of 12 ohms. That same heater at 9 volts will draw .75 amps and supply 6.75 watts of heat. So, you can see, your heat output will go down substantially when you lower the supply voltage.

It would be easy to design a variable heat control for this device. I am working on a similar design to control the dew heater on my telescope.

ozij

Post by ozij » Fri Jun 12, 2009 10:36 pm

TimabLionGuy,

I'm confused by what you wrote .

The heated hose has a simple coil in it, which heats up when the power supply is connected. There's nothing heating the hose but that.

When I bought my recent power supply, I brought the hose along to the shop. The previous (12V 2 amp wart) had died and the shop guy recommended I buy a 2.5 amp wall wart. He was quiet firm in stating the this would not effect the hose's heat -- because of the way the hose is made. He said it would only keep the power supply from working at full capcaity and overheating.
The new power supply is indeed not as hot as the older (2amp) one.

Joy,
I too experience the difference in winter vs. summer. My original, 2 amp power supply got very warm. The 2.5 amp one isn't as warm. I don't have air conditioning - and some summer nights I disconnect the hose's power supply.

O,

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Good advice is compromised by missing data
Forum member Dog Slobber Nov. 2023

jdm2857

Post by jdm2857 » Fri Jun 12, 2009 10:55 pm

The resistance of the coil in the hose (which cannot be changed and the voltage of the adapter determine the current that will flow.

Voltage(in volts) / Resistance(in ohms) = Current(in amps)

The current rating of the adapter is only important in that it is sufficient to supply the amount of current the hose will draw. Using an adapter with too low of a current rating will
result in bad things, like voltage drop, overheating, adapter failure, or a blown fuse in the adapter.

Replacing an original 12 volt 2 amp adapter with one rated 12 volt 2.5 amp should have no effect in the amount of heat produced by the hose.
jeff

timbalionguy

Post by timbalionguy » Fri Jun 12, 2009 11:55 pm

jdm2857 wrote:The resistance of the coil in the hose (which cannot be changed and the voltage of the adapter determine the current that will flow.

Voltage(in volts) / Resistance(in ohms) = Current(in amps)

The current rating of the adapter is only important in that it is sufficient to supply the amount of current the hose will draw. Using an adapter with too low of a current rating will
result in bad things, like voltage drop, overheating, adapter failure, or a blown fuse in the adapter.

Replacing an original 12 volt 2 amp adapter with one rated 12 volt 2.5 amp should have no effect in the amount of heat produced by the hose.
Thank you for answering the previous post before I got back!

I will add that you did the right thing getting a heavier power supply. The heavier supply will run cooler. Heat is the enemy of electronics, and the power supply probably failed because it was underbuilt for the task. A common problem these days.

ozij

Post by ozij » Sat Jun 13, 2009 12:18 am

Thank you both, timbalionguy and jdm

O.

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Good advice is compromised by missing data
Forum member Dog Slobber Nov. 2023

bdp522

Post by bdp522 » Sat Jun 13, 2009 7:31 am

GumbyCT wrote:
bdp522 wrote:I keep my Aussie hose on a timer. Turns on at my usual bed time and off when my alarm wakes me. Been doing it this way for years and it works great.
Brenda
Oh yea another must but surely you don't have it plugged in now?
I do. I don't like the cold air blowing up my nose. I use the heated hose all year long!

Brenda

JoyD.

Post by JoyD. » Sat Jun 13, 2009 9:49 am

Thanks everyone . . . and the electronics expertise of timbalionguy & jdm! Now I know exactly what to buy

Joy

-SWS

Post by -SWS » Sat Jun 13, 2009 10:04 am

JoyD. wrote:SWS,
Thank you as well! I read your link which was a good read. I think I'll pick up the 9 V. adapter and give it a try in case it works for my needs in Summer. What do I ask for? . . . a "9 VOLT UNIVERSAL POWER SOURCE" ?
Joy, sorry I missed your question until now. But at least you already received some great answers.

Love this forum.