I have decided to buy a new IntelliPap machine

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
BlueHairBob

I have decided to buy a new IntelliPap machine

Post by BlueHairBob » Mon Jul 27, 2009 6:41 pm

I have not been on the forum for a long time. My CPAP journey started almost 3 years ago and i am still not sleeping well or adjusting to my CPAP. I am one of those who causes the auto-adjusting M-Series to go into a pressure spiral that will not stop. 2 Years ago, no one could really explain it - my pulmonologist (who I trust) did not seem to believe it was happening even though the data was there and the DME said it could not happen even though the machine was not malfunctioning and the forum members who were incredibly helpful and caring didn't really know either. It seems that now, the problem is better understood and attributed to pressure induced central apneas (my sleep study did not show centrals, so none of the pros considered that to be a possible answer).

I have never been happy with the way that the Encore Pro software for my machine worked - the card reader drivers were difficult to get installed correctly and the software did not run on Windows Vista and i just got so frustrated with it (even though I am a software engineer - or perhaps because of it) that I just gave it up. My usage probably averages about 1.5 hours a night. I sleep for 90 minutes then wake up. After waking, either the mask bugs me so much I take it off, or I lie awake for 40 minutes and then take it off. I can't use auto adjust because the machine freaks out. Sleep study suggested 6 - 9 cm, but the machine just does not keep me asleep.

I do keep a pretty detailed sleep journal and i keep trying every night, but no love.

A week or so ago, I decided to see what had been learned in the past 2 years and hey, there's an explanation of the runaway pressure problem - and a newer machine (DeVilbiss IntelliPap Auto) that uses an SD card instead of a proprietary encrypted smart card with proprietary drivers - and several hours of online webinars explaining the algorithms used by the machine and how to interpret the data coming out of the machine - and it won a challenge against the machine I have. This seems to solve several problems - the SD card pops right into my netbook with no drivers or hardware; the manufacturer wants people to understand how their machine works and how to interpret the data; and they provide good explanations of "driving events" and "holding events" and "expiratory puffing" and why they would indicate a need for a full face mask.

The machine should be here in a few days and i am very hopeful that my CPAP therapy will start to work. You guys are always great help and I really appreciate the support and encouragement.

Bob

Pugsy

Re: I have decided to buy a new IntelliPap machine

Post by Pugsy » Mon Jul 27, 2009 6:49 pm

Wishing you much deserved success with your new machine. Please let us know how it works for you.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

twokatmew

Post by twokatmew » Mon Jul 27, 2009 7:24 pm

I hope the new machine works for you, Bob! Please keep us posted.

DoriC

Post by DoriC » Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:36 pm

Have you ever tried using your machine in straight cpap mode at a set pressure, say maybe starting at 8 or 9cms and adjusting as necessary?

"Do or Do Not-There Is No Try"-"Yoda"
"We are what we repeatedly do,so excellence
is not an act but a habit"-"Aristotle"
DEAR HUBBY BEGAN CPAP 9/2/08

sagesteve

Post by sagesteve » Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:16 pm

I LOOOOVE my IntelliPap! It is SUPER quiet and SUPER comfortable. Fantastic traveler.

ozij

Post by ozij » Tue Jul 28, 2009 12:04 am

I tried an Intellipap - I have some central apneas according to my PB 420E -- the Intellipap spiraled out of control, and I found its data reports almost useless.

The webinars look impressive - but the company ignored a number of requests to give info about their decision to define an apnea as central only if the flow drops to 95% or less (according to the webinar -- that "works for about 85% of the people").

Like most people, you'll find lots of hypopneas and few apneas -- because of the fact DeVilbiss decided to define apneas as a 90% reduction, and anything between 90 adn 70 becomes a hypopneas on that machine. In other words, but default, a Devilbiss reports an apnea only when the flow is more than 95% and less than 90%

The pressure response to either apnea or hypopnea is exactly the same.
O.

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Good advice is compromised by missing data
Forum member Dog Slobber Nov. 2023

BlueHairBob

Post by BlueHairBob » Tue Jul 28, 2009 12:12 am

I have tried straight CPAP mode at several pressures.

timbalionguy

Post by timbalionguy » Tue Jul 28, 2009 12:50 am

Very interesting. I am finding that I am having nights where the pressure goes high and stays pretty much high. I have NRI events that have ranged from 0 to about 1.9/hr with a long-term average of .3/hr. I suspect that at least some of these are centrals. I am contemplating raising my minimum pressure to get my AHI to come down (averages in the high 8's right now but still improving), but not until I can get my overall stress level down.

DoriC

Post by DoriC » Tue Jul 28, 2009 11:03 am

Ozij, I don't use this machine and am very happy with the one we have, but just wanted to tell you that I learn so much from your knowledge and explanations of how these machines work, very educational. Thanks, Dori

"Do or Do Not-There Is No Try"-"Yoda"
"We are what we repeatedly do,so excellence
is not an act but a habit"-"Aristotle"
DEAR HUBBY BEGAN CPAP 9/2/08

Cassandra

Post by Cassandra » Tue Jul 28, 2009 11:12 am

ozij wrote: The webinars look impressive - but the company ignored a number of requests to give info about their decision to define an apnea as central only if the flow drops to 95% or less (according to the webinar -- that "works for about 85% of the people").

O.
Couldn't you change those numbers if you wanted to? Or would that not make any difference? I have seen, in the clinicians menu, where to change the percentage or pressure defining an apnea or hypopnea. I haven't tried to change anything, though.

BlueHairBob

Post by BlueHairBob » Tue Jul 28, 2009 4:37 pm

Cassandra wrote:
ozij wrote: The webinars look impressive - but the company ignored a number of requests to give info about their decision to define an apnea as central only if the flow drops to 95% or less (according to the webinar -- that "works for about 85% of the people").

O.
Couldn't you change those numbers if you wanted to? Or would that not make any difference? I have seen, in the clinicians menu, where to change the percentage or pressure defining an apnea or hypopnea. I haven't tried to change anything, though.
I do believe that you can change those numbers in the setup (the webinar goes over it in some detail). How much does it matter whether the event is marked as an Apnea or a Hypopnea? The machine responds to these events similarly doesn't it except for the rate of increase or decrease in pressure?

techno-snoreus

Post by techno-snoreus » Tue Jul 28, 2009 8:59 pm

Cassandra wrote:

O.
I just got my new Intellipap today! I too have seen these numbers in the clinician setup and was wondering how one would go about tweaking them. Any and all information about them would be greatly appreciated.

ozij

Post by ozij » Wed Jul 29, 2009 4:35 am

BlueHairBob wrote:
Cassandra wrote:

O.
I do believe that you can change those numbers in the setup (the webinar goes over it in some detail). How much does it matter whether the event is marked as an Apnea or a Hypopnea? The machine responds to these events similarly doesn't it except for the rate of increase or decrease in pressure?
My impression is there isn't even a difference in rate of increase or decrease - so changing the flow percentage calling something an apnea won't change the therapy. Do you have other information - something I may have missed?
Changing the hyponea flow percent definition, by the way, will change the machine's therapy response.

There is no way of redefining a central apnea that I know of on that machine. You can only make the machines report more apneas (and less hypopneas) by defining the flow limitation for apneas as 80% instead of the default 90% - I think the therapy will remain the same.

O.

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Cassandra

Post by Cassandra » Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:57 am

I've changed my machine to CPAP mode instead of auto. Do you think changing the definitions would help me get a clearer picture of my events? (So I cold know if I needed to change my pressure)

I guess i'm not clear on if the default definitions are a good representation of actual hypopneas/apneas.

ozij

Post by ozij » Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:46 pm

If it were me, I would concentrate on the total - ignoring the Hypopnea / Apnea distinction on this machine.

O.

Antoine de Saint-Exupery