does cpap cause bad breath?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
drubin007

does cpap cause bad breath?

Post by drubin007 » Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:03 am

Figure this would be the best place to ask....

I am getting complaints at home that my breath has become rancid lately... not joking....

Nothing has changed besides cpap that I can think of... I brush twice a day, and even started using mouthwash as a rinse after each brush. Within 20 minutes of that time, my wife says my breath is horrible (the worst she has experienced in the past 12 years).

The only thing I can think of is cpap (started about 4 months ago, give or take)... I quit smoking a few weeks before that. I started doing allergy shots about a month ago (twice a week). Other then that, evertything is the same...

Has anyone else experienced this?

I go to the dentist for a checkup/cleaning in a few weeks and will address with him, but was hoping to find a fix/solution or cause for the problem before that....

Maryland_Mike

Re: does cpap cause bad breath?

Post by Maryland_Mike » Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:07 am

Bad breath can be caused by gastrointestinal problems that would not be alleviated by maintaining proper oral hygiene. Stomach ulcers, for instance, can cause bad breath.

drubin007

Post by drubin007 » Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:57 am

What would be an indicator of a stomach ulcer?

What other factors would I consider?

I am hesitant to see a doctor for it... Last time I went, I went in for a clogged ear. Walked out finding out I am allergic to everything around me, and in need of going on a cpap. I literally left the doctors office (ear was still clogged up) and felt I should be checking into hospice that day.

Suddenly I stopped enjoying food (been a vegeterian for about the past year and a half), was miserable as I had just quit smoking, could not hear out of one ear, and now, I was afraid to go to sleep due to apena....

Wulfman

Post by Wulfman » Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:11 am

drubin007 wrote:Figure this would be the best place to ask....

I am getting complaints at home that my breath has become rancid lately... not joking....

Nothing has changed besides cpap that I can think of... I brush twice a day, and even started using mouthwash as a rinse after each brush. Within 20 minutes of that time, my wife says my breath is horrible (the worst she has experienced in the past 12 years).

The only thing I can think of is cpap (started about 4 months ago, give or take)... I quit smoking a few weeks before that. I started doing allergy shots about a month ago (twice a week). Other then that, evertything is the same...

Has anyone else experienced this?

I go to the dentist for a checkup/cleaning in a few weeks and will address with him, but was hoping to find a fix/solution or cause for the problem before that....
Do you also brush your tongue?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halitosis

"The most common location for mouth-related halitosis is the tongue."

I see you use a nasal mask. Are you sealing your mouth? or.....Are you mouth-breathing/leaking? Do you wake up with dry mouth?

Den
(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

drubin007

Post by drubin007 » Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:28 am

yes to brushing the tongue... do not go all the way back as it causes me to gag... But again, nothing has changed as far as brushing habits. The thought process on putting out here is to see if anyone else has experienced the same issues...

I use the nasal pillows (90% of the time I use opus) once in a while if I just cannot get a good seal I use the swift lt set for a night or so.

before cpap I snored like an angry bear. since cpap that has stopped. I use a chin strap and do not dehydrate any more at night. (before cpap I would drink water every hour or so and had 2 - 3 bathroom visits a night). Now I do not drink at all during the night and seldom get up to use the restroom.

I was half joking with my wife last night that because I used to mouth breathe so much nothing could grow in my mouth. now its a different story.

jdm2857

Post by jdm2857 » Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:01 am

Could you ask a friend to check your breath?

Maybe something has changed with your wife.
jeff

drubin007

Post by drubin007 » Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:09 am

jdm2857 wrote:Could you ask a friend to check your breath?

Maybe something has changed with your wife.

na, she is still the same nag I married about 11 years ago.

funny enough I had someone here at work hand me gum last week and tell me to chew it.

Thought it was a little brutal, but after hearing it at home for the past few weeks I quietly took it and said thanks

jdm2857

Post by jdm2857 » Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:12 am

Try googling (googleing?) halitosis.

See if anything there rings a bell.
jeff

GaryG

Post by GaryG » Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:27 am

Acid reflux, which is common with OSA diagnosed folks (read this in Dr. Park's book), can be responsible for bad breath. I'm in this wonderful club myself.

OldLincoln

Post by OldLincoln » Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:43 am

Seems nobody directly answered your question but inferred that you are alone in this. Not alone, I have had the same issue and brush the dickens out of my tongue regularly. I wonder if it has anything to do with post nasal drip. I haven't had the complaints since I began using my Nasonex regularly. Folks here criticize that in favor of the nasal rinse which I have and use occasionally, so that may help also.

If all else fails, you can always stop bathing so people won't notice your bad breath anymore.
ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet / F&P Simplex / DME: VA
It's going to be okay in the end; if it's not okay, it's not the end.

jdm2857

Post by jdm2857 » Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:50 am

You can try using a tongue scraper, too. It takes a little time to get over the gagging, but I find I can go pretty far back with one.
jeff

drubin007

Post by drubin007 » Tue Sep 08, 2009 11:02 am

OldLincoln wrote:Seems nobody directly answered your question but inferred that you are alone in this. Not alone, I have had the same issue and brush the dickens out of my tongue regularly. I wonder if it has anything to do with post nasal drip. I haven't had the complaints since I began using my Nasonex regularly. Folks here criticize that in favor of the nasal rinse which I have and use occasionally, so that may help also.

If all else fails, you can always stop bathing so people won't notice your bad breath anymore.
Thank you for an honest answer. I have nasonex at home, but do not like shooting stuff up my nose (besides air). When I first told the doc I had snoring issues he gave me clarinex, nasonex, sent me to get saline nasal spray, breathe right strips, etc. after a few days of no changes I abaonded it.

I will google haltosis after lunch...

it just seems to be a recent issue, cannot blame it on cpap, but trying to look afor any variables in my life that have changed as of recent

wlenz

Post by wlenz » Tue Sep 08, 2009 11:29 am

Your dentist should help. X-Rays may show problems with the roots. This can cause your problem. There have been many excellent suggestions, and hopefully one or more will solve this issue. I asked my dentist about problems related to gum disease, etc. because of a dry mouth from using xpap, and he was not aware of this problem. There have been discussions on this forum about mouth problems related to a dry mouth. I have experimented with taping and PolyGrip. Both helped with the dry mouth and the leak rate recorded by my machine. Please keep us updated, you are not alone with this problem.
There is only one way to achieve happiness on this terrestrial ball, And that is to have either a clear conscience, or none at all.

Ogden Nash

drubin007

Post by drubin007 » Tue Sep 08, 2009 11:52 am

I certainly will Wlenz....thanks.

I cannot help but think there is a correlation between cpap and bad breath... Although I fail to understand the logic behind it.

Many things have changed in my life over the past few months (as they have for all of us) and I wish I could pinpoint the problem to a specific event or trigger, but sadly I cannot. This is why I threw it out in here, figuring I am not alone and for help in trying to find that common bond. if we know what is the cause, it makes finding the solution that much easier.

I hope to heck I do not have dental problems to factor in as well. I am the biggest wimp known to mankind when it comes to putting instruments of toture in my mouth... I would rather chew my own kneecaps off without sedation before taking more needles or things like that in my mouth.

elg5cats

Post by elg5cats » Tue Sep 08, 2009 1:43 pm

[quote="drubin007"]Figure this would be the best place to ask....I am getting complaints at home that my breath has become rancid lately... not joking....quote]

The Drs TV show had a segment explaining why morning breath occurs. Below is a link.

http://www.thedoctorstv.com/main/procedure_list/447

elg5cats

Only competition with a Bed of Kats for improved sleep is an xPAP approved by the Kats. In Memory: KoKo Macademia KitKat 10-20-1989--May 30. 2007....Kats are purrfect role models for sleep hygiene along with 2 snuggly Tibetan Spaniels.