How old were you when

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
sleepsalot

How old were you when

Post by sleepsalot » Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:46 am

How old were you when you started CPAP "therapy"? I was(well still am) 21.
Please share!

JeffH

Re: How old were you when

Post by JeffH » Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:50 am

42 in 1998.

JeffH

nicodan

Post by nicodan » Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:55 am

I had just turned 40, but I knew I had OSA long before there was a name for it, probably more than 15 years.. When I finally sought treatment, insurance refused to order sleep study. I have paved the way for you newbies out there......I knew nothing more than I had it when I walked out fo the first sleep study in 1995. I dind't know numbers, Just, yes, you have Sleep Apnea, go get a machine..period. And this is pretty much all I knew for over 5 years. 2nd sleep study.......yes, you still have sleep apnea..go get your machine pressure raised and loose weight.
I digress..way more than you wanted to know.

sleepsalot

Post by sleepsalot » Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:59 am

nicodan wrote:I had just turned 40, but I knew I had OSA long before there was a name for it, probably more than 15 years.. When I finally sought treatment, insurance refused to order sleep study. I have paved the way for you newbies out there......I knew nothing more than I had it when I walked out fo the first sleep study in 1995. I dind't know numbers, Just, yes, you have Sleep Apnea, go get a machine..period. And this is pretty much all I knew for over 5 years. 2nd sleep study.......yes, you still have sleep apnea..go get your machine pressure raised and loose weight.
I digress..way more than you wanted to know.
Wow! That seems like an awful experience compared to the norm now. Of course it is still a hassle but well worth it (and from what you shared I am glad to be getting diagnosed now rather than earlier, strangely enough!) So the second time they still didn't provide numbers?

nicodan

Post by nicodan » Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:21 am

The first time was really more than awful if you want the whole story. I was sent to a newly formed sleep lab. There was a room in the bowels of a small town hospital where there was a bed..with no top sheet..and a trained man who was totally thrown off his instrucstion every time I asked a question. Really, he had a speech .......and if I asked anything he got rattled. I asked him who made the bed....he did..why. No top sheet.......oh, sorry.. After several hours of non sleep, I asked to use the rest room. he assured me I only snored I did not have any apnea. I assured him I had not yet been asleep and I could snore fully awake in a movie theatre. Again, blank looks. Eventually I fell asleep and he rushed in and got me hooked up..sent me home the next am. Several weeks later I was in my regular Dr.'s office for unrelated problem and asked if the study results had come back. Well, gosh, he would check. He came back in the room smiling. Yes you have Sleep apnea and just go over the hospital supply office and get a machine. I foudn out my machine pressure was set at 8 and how to clean it. That was it. The RT had no clue what to do with ill fitting masks issues. When my eyes got all puffy she was sure I was having an allergy to soemthign else and it just could not be the mask.

2nd sleep study was done by a Dr. who had recently switched from him first profession of being a psychiatrist. English is not his native language. he was convinced my waking up issues were due to PILM and put me on ..Vitamin A? Can't remember. I went back for a recheck, blood levels were up and he said, " Loose weight. I am done with you. go back back to your regular Dr. for followup." My regular Dr. had sent me to the sleep clinic after admitting he knewe nothing about OSA...so what did I do?
Nothing for 8 years. Just turned on my machine, and turned it off when I woke up. DME never questioned a lack of current prescription over 8 years, just continued to sell me a new mask every 6 months.

When I went back last February to the sleep clinic with teh foreign Dr., he yelled at me..wanting to know where I ahd been for 8 years and why had I not come in for followup. I told him he told me he was done with me. He was indignant and said he never treated his patients that way.
I had actually asked to be sent to a different sleep lab, but was told that slee Dr. get upset when we the patient switch clinics..

So, yes, I have had absolutely unbelievalby bad treatment and that is why I am only now getting this treatment figured out. On my own.

rosiefrosie

Post by rosiefrosie » Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:53 am

nicodan wrote:
2nd sleep study was done by a Dr. who had recently switched from him first profession of being a psychiatrist. English is not his native language. he was convinced my waking up issues were due to PILM and put me on ..Vitamin A? Can't remember. I went back for a recheck, blood levels were up and he said, " Loose weight. I am done with you. go back back to your regular Dr. for followup." My regular Dr. had sent me to the sleep clinic after admitting he knewe nothing about OSA...so what did I do?
Nothing for 8 years. Just turned on my machine, and turned it off when I woke up. DME never questioned a lack of current prescription over 8 years, just continued to sell me a new mask every 6 months.

When I went back last February to the sleep clinic with teh foreign Dr., he yelled at me..wanting to know where I ahd been for 8 years and why had I not come in for followup. I told him he told me he was done with me. He was indignant and said he never treated his patients that way.
I had actually asked to be sent to a different sleep lab, but was told that slee Dr. get upset when we the patient switch clinics..

So, yes, I have had absolutely unbelievalby bad treatment and that is why I am only now getting this treatment figured out. On my own.
I think you need a new sleep doctor.

BTW, I was 51 when dx'd with sleep apnea. I was scheduled for a sleep study about 5 years before this, but the doctor sent me home ( Had to travel about 100 miles for this at the time and the MD appointment and sleep study were scheduled for the same day.) as she didn't think I had sleep apnea, just some insomnia issues. She was surprised to see me back and with sleep apnea.

rosie

DreamStalker

Post by DreamStalker » Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:43 pm

sleepsalot wrote:How old were you when you started CPAP "therapy"? I was(well still am) 21.
Please share!

I was 46 ... but I'm fairly certain I lived with OSA since my late teens to early twenties when I was made aware that I snored like a chain saw.

You are lucky to be diagnosed so young, otherwise you might have suffered severe brain damage as I have.
President-pretender, J. Biden, said "the DNC has built the largest voter fraud organization in US history". Too bad they didn’t build the smartest voter fraud organization and got caught.

barry15

Post by barry15 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:09 pm

I was 53, and that was 12 and a half years ago, in 1997. I have had three machines over that time, and I am just now starting to really get a handle on my therapy. At least I have been able to sleep, and the snoring stopped, which was the main motivator in the first place. This forum is an incredible resource for those who want to get involved in their own care.

Barry

Sleepy Taz

Post by Sleepy Taz » Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:22 pm

I was 32 years old in 1988 when I received my first Cpap. There were no sleep centers in the state of NH except for a small clinic set up in a mental facility. I was told it would be a two night study but after 2 two hours they hooked me up to a Cpap as my blood oxygen levels were at what they termed a critical level. Two days later I had a Cpap set at 17 and received a total of 10 minutes worth of education on cleaning and upkeep. Over the years I struggled with an inflamed nose (no humidifier), broken masks (no replacement with insurance), constant dry mouth (mouth breathing with nasal mask), and the isolation of not knowing a single soul who was going through what I was. My only consolation was that I was no longer falling asleep just standing in line or watching TV. Up until last May when I found this sight the thought of seeking the type of support that this site provides was not even on my mind. I now know that with support I could have achieved better therapy at an earlier time and many of the problems that I encountered could have been solved quicker and easier. Using a Cpap is just like using a pillow to sleep only it will help you to avoid other health problems later in life.
"I can't do anything about the past. I have no idea what will happen tomorrow. What matters is the present. And, just in case tomorrow should never come, I'm going to use the present as constructively as I can."

thewetlizard

Post by thewetlizard » Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:09 pm

I've only been using CPAP since August of 2009 I am 43.
stop the bull the cow is dead!

mistermann

Post by mistermann » Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:20 pm

I am 31 now, and have had sleep apnea for years, possibly since childhood.... The huge myth that only older overweight males develop sleep apnea is preventing millions of ppl from correct diagnosis. I have struggled with multiple health problems for half my life, most of which are probably caused by apnea. Everyone, and i mean everyone, from doctors, to parents, to ppl at med supply store say "you're too young and thin to have sleep apnea". If i hadn't self-diagnosed myself I never would have received treatment or diagnosis.

Linus

Post by Linus » Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:47 pm

I seeked help on my own.
I saw my doctor a month before I turned 37 (2008). I started at the regular doctor and explained I had concerns about sleep apnea (waking up heart pounding, sleepy in the day, etc). I was referred to a sleep doctor a few weeks later. We consulted. He was surprised because I did not fit the sleep apnea category like the rest of his patients, but I had symptoms based on the paperwork I filled out. I was confused how I did not fit the sleep apnea patient profile. He suggested I look at the chair that I was using. The chair was twice as wide as a normal chair, and I had lots of room on this special chair. I was sort of pissed that he said that, but got the message. He was saying that I was not overweight. I was hoping that he would not say, "Come back later when your symptoms are worse because you do not fit our profile." I asked him if weight was the only factor, and he admitted that OSA can affect anyone. I was worried that my OSA concerns were going to be brushed aside because I did not fit a specific profile. We got past that generality and the rest of the visit was very professional.

We discussed therapy options, and I scheduled a sleep study. My sleep study involved a take home motion activated device with an attachment on my mouth, wires to my chest, and the oximeter I went to sleep that night (sort of sleep) I was wired and not so comfortable.

Later I got a call stating that I has some events that were interfering with my sleep and that the CPAP devices would help.
I had a quick battle with the DME. I refused to rent anything. I also forced my insurer to allow me to purchase an auto unit before the end of the year because my deductable was going to rise quite a bit in 2009. I refused to rent anything thought a DME or my insurer. They wanted me to show that I used the machine (data card) for at least a week before they would allow an accelerated purchase. After that hurtle was crossed, I had my own machine free and clear. The interesting thing to mention is that my insurer suggested the auto machine so that the future office visits could be decreased as my pressure needs changed. I liked the idea, because it was more proactive. They actually would make more $$ if I had more office visits because they run the offices, it was a nice gesture. Someone actually made a difference in the insurance world.

I started in October with initial visits and I was on CPAP on Dec 17th. Not too bad considering the hoops one must go through for help.

Last edited by Linus on Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:24 pm, edited 6 times in total.

SleepyBobR

Post by SleepyBobR » Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:10 pm

I am 63 and have been on CPAP for a month. I self-diagnosed and had to battle the system to get a couple of sleep studies to confirm the condition. Statistics show that you don't have to be an overweight male who snores loudly to have sleep apnea but that doesn't matter. If you are not an overweight male who snores loudly you will be ignored by your GP and your cardiologist despite describing your symptoms which include sudden awakenings with your heart pounding, daytime tiredness and atrial fibrillation. That is what happened to me. It's a very strange situation but that is how it is. In any case, I got through it and now have my CPAP which I guard with my life. That is because it is saving it. The good news here is that I don't think I've had SA for very long. Probably only for a year or so. I say this because I am very symptomatic and started noticing the symptoms only about a year ago. Shortly after that I developed the heart arrhythmia which is now controlled with BB medication. I'm hoping that once the apnea is fully controlled I may not need the medication any more. We shall see. In any case, the CPAP technology is a wonderful thing.

Cobalt Panther

Post by Cobalt Panther » Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:21 pm

I was 46 in July of 2009. I have probably had sleep apnea for some time though. My husband has periodically complained of my snoring (freight train) over the past 25 yrs of marriage. Glad to be on therapy and getting better. Thanks to everyone who takes the time to answer questions!
Cobalt Panther

Kiralynx

Post by Kiralynx » Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:03 pm

I had just turned 57 when I was diagnosed.

I'd had the symptoms which led to the diagnosis for over six years -- and looking back, I may have had them for as long as 25 years.

Beastie, 2008-10-28. NEW Beastie, PRS1 960, 2014-05-14. NEWER Beastie, Dream Station ASV, 2017-10-17. PadaCheek Hosecover. Homemade Brandy Keg Chin Support. TapPap Mask.
Min PS = 4, Max PS = 8
Epap Range = 6 - 7.5