Scared for Sleep Test Study

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
mysteryism

Scared for Sleep Test Study

Post by mysteryism » Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:19 pm

Hi I am a 29 yr old female..overweight...that most likely has sleep apnea....I am terrified for this test..which is sched for Feb 23. I read the story about that 25 yr old man who died...also overweight...with high blood pressure.....Does anyone have any thoughts?????
M

scrapper

Re: Scared for Sleep Test Study

Post by scrapper » Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:27 pm

Read the rest of that story--between the jabs.......it's like National Enquirer headlines. There's nothing to be afraid of.......you go, you get wired up, you don't feel like you've slept at all, and they kick you out and make you wait for a report. Getting the diagnosis was wonderful! It confirmed things I knew but was in denial about.......it started a journey towards wellness that hasn't always been smooth, but people on this board were here with advice when I needed it or wanted to read of others in similar circumstances........and I've felt better than I have in years.

So be more specific, what are you scared of?

“Life is 10% what happens to you, and 90% what you make of it.” Charles Swindoll

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:31 pm

We have all done it...I found it a pleasant experience.
Watch the video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZTzrVGSOvw

roster

Post by roster » Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:31 pm

mysteryism wrote:Hi I am a 29 yr old female..overweight...that most likely has sleep apnea....I am terrified for this test..which is sched for Feb 23. I read the story about that 25 yr old man who died...also overweight...with high blood pressure.....Does anyone have any thoughts?????
M
According to the statistic I have, there were 7 million patient nights in sleep clinics last year. 6,999,999 people lived through it.

You are more likely to die prematurely if you don't have a sleep study.

I have a vision that we will figure out an easy way to ensure that children develop wide, deep, healthy and attractive jaws and then obstructive sleep apnea becomes an obscure bit of history.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ycw4uaX ... re=related

DoriC

Post by DoriC » Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:53 pm

Please don't be scared at all. It's a pretty routine procedure, much like staying overnight in a 2-star hotel room when you're traveling. Maybe yours will be 4-star! . Just bring your own pillow! I'm sure there's more to this story which I hope will come out and trust Rooster's stats. My husband is much older than 25yo with numerous health issues and is feeling better than he has in years. He has continued to improve and the benefits I'm witnessing are amazing. Keep us posted. Dori

"Do or Do Not-There Is No Try"-"Yoda"
"We are what we repeatedly do,so excellence
is not an act but a habit"-"Aristotle"
DEAR HUBBY BEGAN CPAP 9/2/08

pb5927317

Post by pb5927317 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:04 pm

My mattress was terribly hard the first time, the 2nd time, they added padding and it was just right!

Oh, the junk they glue the electrodes with is kinda gummy to get out of your hair.

My doc just gave me some Ambien samples....I took 5mg and was out the rest of the night...

The 2nd night when I had to test the machine I was so scared that I wouldnt be able to breath or work with that darn thing. I slept 7 hrs. straight! Felt the best I had in years.

I wish I could achieve that level again...my titration level was 24, and I dont think 20(max CPAP can do) is cutting it.

BTW, I avoided my test because of fear for 3 years

Last edited by pb5927317 on Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Patrick

Bibs

Post by Bibs » Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:15 pm

I dragged the chain for ages, until I finally realised that I was not only in denial, but I was affecting the life, and comfort of my closest (Now wife).
The snoring was killing her (and I). I was perpetually tired and grumpy, and constantly run down and getting colds etc.
After coming home home from the 1st sleep study, I really wondered what the fuss was all about, and why didnt I do it earlier.
Think of it as a night in a nice motel, with free breakfast, and people fussing over you.
The morning I came back after the 2nd stay; After the night with my first CPAP experience, was like no other.
Seriously: I was driving home from the hospital and it was like the sun was shining through the clouds guiding my way. ha ha.
I got home, buzzing, and bubbly, and my wife asks "did you have coffee this morning? If so just how many?
"None"
When I told the doctor how I felt on that morning he said:
"You know that is what men who have a normal, proper sleep are supposed to feel like everyday?"
And he is right.
Do it. Your life will change, for the better, forever.

JohnBFisher

Post by JohnBFisher » Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:24 pm

By the way Bibs, I see this is your second post. Great one for a second post. Welcome to the fray! As you can see, lots of folks with lots of different experience. I rarely see a question that remains unanswered.

So, enjoy. With more posts like that, I know we will learn and enjoy!

"I wish to paint in such a manner as if I were photographing dreams." from Zdzisław Beksiński

Bibs

Post by Bibs » Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:40 pm

Absolutely. Thank you John, and Hello!
I stumbled across this forum this morning at work after Googling for some answers on "burnt plastic smells" (I absent mindedly let my humidifier run dry). Although I think the smell that followed is from the filter that needs replacing (been in use for 6 months). That is getting done this weekend.

I must say that reading everyone's experiences has really comforted me, and knowing that I can add to them as well, maybe with a few chuckles along the way, may help others. I wish I had known about this place before I went down my CPAP road. I would have been there 2 years earlier.
I am currently all my friend's wives best friend. Confused? What I mean is: I am telling the wives all about CPAP, and the elimination of their husband's snoring, is only a sleep study away.
I just cannot stop bragging about it and the results.

This Saturday I am getting my first data download done. So I'll post the results and comments from the tech, for y'all to pick over.

Funny: The Resmed factory is only a few blocks from my office here in Sydney. I can see it from my window, and drive past it each morning. Part of my CPAP purchase includes a visit to the factory and shop floor. I might take them up on it now.

All the best

kteague

Post by kteague » Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:42 pm

I have spent at least a half dozen nights in sleep labs, kinda lost count. I'm sure that news story is unsettling for someone scheduled for their first sleep study. Because of that news story, I'd venture to say sleep clinics are safer now than ever due to an increased awareness. When you go in for your study (or maybe even before) talk to someone and tell them your concerns. Ask them what one thing you should do if you need their immediate attention. I think Slinky had the best solution in that other thread. The box can be unplugged to get up, no one is held hostage. When I was still fairly new, it didn't cross my mind to unplug it and get up when they didn't respond to my calls.

It's easy to say not to worry, harder to receive that I'm sure. Try to look at this as being the beginning of you having a future of safe nights. Let us know how it goes.

Kathy

Starlette

Post by Starlette » Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:01 pm

Key here is: Bring whatever makes you feel comfortable to go to sleep. i brought the following:

- My own pillow
- I don't know the name but it can be put nuked for 2 minutes and makes for a good warm huggable pillow (mother-in-law gave it to me as a gift). I've used it every winter.
- my favorite stuffed animal. Hey, whatever makes you comfortable right? I like to hug something at night

When i had to go to the bathroom, I gave them a shout. They unplugged me and off I went. I returned, they plugged me back up and off to la la land again.

Starlette

jmelby

Post by jmelby » Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:20 pm

While I certainly wouldn't say the sleep study was a comfortable or pleasant experience, it is not something to be afraid of. They will hook up a bunch of sensors to you and watch you sleep... that's it. It is not an invasive procedure--merely a diagnostic one. You can expect to feel strange with all of those wires hooked up to you, and if it is a split-night study, they may put you on CPAP the second part of the night, which will be uncomfortable and strange at first, but your body will eventually get used to it and you won't want to sleep without it.

(yet another Jeff)

rosiefrosie

Post by rosiefrosie » Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:38 pm

Don't be scared. It really is not that bad. The worst part for me was trying to sleep on demand, but they had sleep meds to take care of that. The sleep lab I went to even had a sleep number bed. It will be OK. Ditto what everyone else has been telling you.

rosie

Jersey Girl

Post by Jersey Girl » Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:54 pm

I was nervous for my first sleep study too and I am 47. The truth is, the people there will be helpful to you. They will put some sticky stuff on your scalp to attach all the wires. There will be a microphone in the room, so if you need anything, you have only to ask. I had to go to the bathroom and when I called out, the person was there in 2 minutes to help. Nothing will hurt you...it will just be a matter of sleeping in a strange place. This is something very important that you are doing for yourself so that you can finally feel refreshed in the morning. I had to go for 2 sleep studies - the first one there were just a lot of wires and the next time they fitted me for a nasal mask that I was nervous about wearing. The technician let me just hold it to my nose and then take it away, hold it there and then take it away. I did this on and off for about 15 minutes and then when she came back she fitted the straps to my head and I laid down on the bed to watch tv. When I drove home that morning, even though I had only gotten 6 and a half hours of sleep, I felt alert, awake, and happy for the first time in years in the morning. I did not have that feeling of overwhelming fatigue any more and I knew that I had finally found the answer.

You will be fine and I promise you it will be much, much better than you have envisioned the experience.

Happiness is from the heart out, not the world in.

Jaylee

Post by Jaylee » Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:08 pm

I agree with the two star hotel thing

Mine was fine. The bed was comfortable and the techincian had plenty of extra pillows, blankets, etc, if I needed them. She also had a stocked fridge full of caffeine free drinks. I found being hooked up to be relaxing. We chatted while she wired me up. You are not supposed to nap the day of, so I was almost asleep before she finished hooking me up.

Take your own pillow if you want. I took a magazine- but didn't need to read, I was sleeping quickly. Or fake sleeping, as I like to call it now Good luck!